Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Snakes are deaf. Cannot her anything, only sense vibrations.

Lefty C

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Spot on Geno......

The only "ignorant" one in this conversation is VarminyGay when he says not killing every rattler you see makes you personally responsible if said snke bites someone at a later date.....

I take that back.....it's not ignorant....it's f*cking stupid....

Varmintgay tried that argument on me years ago. Said if I let a snake go and it bit a sacred child, then I was directly to blame.

I told him if thats the case, I should pull over every stupid driver I see, drag them from their car and shoot them. They kill a LOT more children than snakes.

Even though I try to convince my wife this is a good idea, not only for the children, but, becuase they are a direct threat to my life and hers, (not to mention the property damage they do to some folks sacred vehicles grin ) ............. she won't let me.

SLM

Snake lives matter,

(sorry SLM, for borrowing your moniker!)

guess we can change that to RLM

Geno

PS, I hate friggen rats, therefor a snake is better in this world than in another.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I even shot one with a .375 one day.

It killed him.

Sure, but did it over-penetrate? wink

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Snakes are deaf. Cannot her anything, only sense vibrations.

Lefty C

Yep, which is what had me curious as to why he seemed to be coming to where I was calling. I've always wondered if he picked up vibes from the call somehow or something else I did or if it had nothing to do with me. Hearing is sensing vibrations of course. laugh

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

It killed him.

Sure, but did it over-penetrate? wink

MM

Yes. But I think it had more to do with the close range than the cartridge. Snake was shot at about 18 inches from the muzzle. Bullet went the whole way through. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, at least you had a backstop so no one else got hurt.......... laugh

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Was it a rough tracking job? Penetration like that there should have been a great blood trail.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No tracking..it was DRT. grin

And DROTT....

( Dead Right Over There Too.... grin )

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
If ya gotta, carry a revolver with bird shot.

Or use a shovel.

Rattlers in the country arent hurting anything, and I cant imagine a situation where I would NEED to kill one out on the prairie.

Just walk around them, or do what I do, pay no attention at all. Only time I every see a snake is if I am watching for one.

But just in case, wear your Stetson hat. You can confuse them by throwing the hat on them, and stomp them when they peek out.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
If ya gotta, carry a revolver with bird shot.

Or use a shovel.

Rattlers in the country arent hurting anything, and I cant imagine a situation where I would NEED to kill one out on the prairie.

Just walk around them, or do what I do, pay no attention at all. Only time I every see a snake is if I am watching for one.

But just in case, wear your Stetson hat. You can confuse them by throwing the hat on them, and stomp them when they peek out.

Sound advice..... grin

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Whelennut: I have been dealing with Prairie Dogs and Rattlesnakes for 50+ years now.
I prefer to carry my Smith & Wesson Model 651 in 22 Magnum - loaded with bird shot!
Here's a tip for you - if you Hunt near or from your vehicle then drive around in a small circle once or twice as you are parking. This gets the snakes "moving".
Then don't "leave" your hearing protection on while YOU are walking around!
This allows you to hear Rattlesnakes better.
Rattlesnakes rarely come toward my Prairie Dog set-up spots due to the commotion (vibrations?) humans make -so make some noise as you set up (stomp around) and try to set up in shorter grass areas.
Take it from one who HAS been bitten by a Rattler you DON'T want to be bitten by a Rattler!
August is a top month for Rattlesnake bites (I was bitten on August 22nd seven years ago) so be cautious and stomp a bit.
Enjoy your Hunt and let us know how you do.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Sounds like good advice. I hunted three days, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Never saw a single snake.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Stunt shooter. Ebberboddy knows that's not enough gun!

(My snake shooter is a Contender 12 inch .410 barrel. 3" shells with #9 shot seem better than .22 birdshot.)

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Not to change the subject but how often do you guys clean the barrel on a target rich environment rifle like a prairie dog rifle?
I like to clean after dark or every hundred rounds whichever I am in the mood for.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
After dark, or after I get home......if I cleaned it every hundred rounds it would really slow up my day shooting....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Killed a rattler with a .45 some years ago. It did work. smirk

Never have used snake shot on a real snake but experimented on soda cans at 10-12 feet. a .22 shotshell had little effect. The .38/357 put a few neat holes in it. The .44 shotshell shredded the can.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by whelennut
Not to change the subject but how often do you guys clean the barrel on a target rich environment rifle like a prairie dog rifle?
I like to clean after dark or every hundred rounds whichever I am in the mood for.

When ground squirrel shooting 600-700 round days are not uncommon, PD's are generally more like 400 round days. I usually have 2 or 3 rifles and switch out when one starts warming up too much. Cleaning is at the end of the day when shooting is done.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mtcurman

.22 shot is perfect for rattlers up to about 15'..

Ben, I only ever shot one rattler with .22 bird shot. Four feet away, shot him in the face and all it did was piss him off in a major way.....I never did it again....went to .38 special shot. That stuff works!

22 mag shot shells from CCI. does the trick for me every time.

Now that I have a 45 Colt I am looking for affordable 444 brass to make some shot shells. Bit the CCI 22 mag did snake in every time.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hate snakes. Had a real scare with them as a wee lad and the memories remain.

Most of the time I run into them while out hunting doves or quail or partridge and am carrying a double barrel 20 gauge with 7.5's. Turns out that is a perfect weapon for rattlers and I have the unique ability to run into them on about 30-35 % of my trips.

Tried the .22lr shot shells and found them not satisfactory and requires getting too close. I usually am carrying a Sig .40 loaded with 180g and have found that to make heads disappear like the 20 gauge.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here is another way to kill rattlers. This dude is certifiable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22aYCoTe-0I

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Heck with that , I don't like getting close enough to use a handgun with shotshells . Much less snapping his neck

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 25 invisible), 1,888 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,837
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.