Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have been attempting to teach my young daughter how to shoot. She is 6 years old and my Remington 572 is too big for her - she has to tuck the stock under her arm, which makes it difficult for her to see the sights properly and as a result, her accuracy is terrible.

I have been looking at the Henry Youth Model H001Y 22lr and I think I can get one for around $225.00 - $250.00, but I'd like to get one cheaper, if possible. The CZ is very nice but it's too expensive. Henry, Winchester, Remington, Browning? are possibilities, as are used models.

Requirements: She want's a traditional wood/blued rifle: lever action or bolt action. She does not want a plastic stocked or a pink rifle!

I've looked on the internet auction sites - perhaps I will look at some local pawn shops as well.

Suggestions, recommendations would be appreciated.

High_Noon

Last edited by High_Noon; 08/03/16.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get her a youth single shot and tell her when she gets a bit older/bigger you two will go out and pick out something a bit more top shelf. Try the cricket or chipmunk models.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by High_Noon
I have been attempting to teach my young daughter how to shoot. She is 6 years old and my Remington 572 is too big for her - she has to tuck the stock under her arm, which makes it difficult for her to see the sights properly and as a result, her accuracy is terrible.

I have been looking at the Henry Youth Model H001Y 22lr and I think I can get one for around $225.00 - $250.00, but I'd like to get one cheaper, if possible. The CZ is very nice but it's too expensive. Henry, Winchester, Remington, Browning? are possibilities, as are used models.

Requirements: She want's a traditional wood/blued rifle: lever action or bolt action. She does not want a plastic stocked or a pink rifle!

I've looked on the internet auction sites - perhaps I will look at some local pawn shops as well.

Suggestions, recommendations would be appreciated.

High_Noon

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/rascal

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks.

The Savage and the Chipmunk might be an option, but for the price, the Henry I was looking at is not much more at all. I guess the problem with the Henry is a LOP of 13." The Savage has a LOP of 11.25. I also wonder if it's a good idea to start her off with the Accu trigger, since that is likely the only gun she will shoot that will have it.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
High noon, I don't mean to come off rude or insensitive but here's the deal, your kid is 6 yrs old. Get something that is simple (single shot) something that fits her (she's 6 so she is little) and just go with it. You're over thinking it at this point. I have 3 boys that are now young men and I did go through the same thoughts as you. In the end I got something that the kids could handle and shoot well because it fit. Because it fit well they were able to develope proper technique that they then carried with them as they progressed in the shooting sports. Enjoy them while they are young as it goes way too fast.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Jim: I believe you're correct, on both counts. I can't believe how fast she is growing. I'll take her to the local Gander Mountain to try out your suggested single shots. Thanks.

- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Have you thought about buying a regular .22lr and have the stock cut back to fit her? As she grows just add wood to lengthen the stock.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree with Jim. Good post.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ken, I did consider that, but I hate to butcher a good .22. I'll take a look at single shots like Jim suggested - unless I can find a decent .22 at a pawn shop for really cheap.

- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Don't buy a "good" .22lr ,buy a cheap one and take it from there.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. the cheap .22 cut down would then be an option. I'll look into finding a cheap one as well as looking at the single shots. Thanks.

- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
A single shot is an excellent choice.

I'll look at a LGS tomorrow for a cheap .22lr.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Ken. PM sent.

- Del Gue
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Get the Rascal and a box of Colibri.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
High Noon,

If you want some UBER class for your daughter find a Browning micro lever and put it on layaway.

I don't even like lever guns and I have damn near bought one.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Travis: Browning certainly does make a very nice lever. I'll keep an eye out for one. Thanks.

- Kevin

- Del Gue
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only problem with buying a old used rifle and cutting down the stock for her is that it still won't balance right for her. You want a light short stock, and a 16" barrel. Again she is 6 yrs old, think small, think size appropriate

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Remington 514. Cheap, pretty accurate, looks like a real rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CZ 452 Scout can be had for $250. Comes with a single shot follower so you can single load it and as she grows, you can use regular CZ 5 and 10 round magazines. My daughter has one and she loves it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That'd be my first choice, followed by maybe one of those little Savages. Hammer guns are a bad idea for little hands. Nothing wrong with a CO2 or PCP airgun either, as long as the stock fits. There are some decent you springers too, but you'll have to cock it for her at first.

My sons started with my rifles, but they were pretty big kids.

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/04/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1badf350, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 59 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,904
Posts18,518,553
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.