-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a PM from a trusted member here this morning that said he knew an old fool that did the same thing and it worked...

Either way it takes a real piece of chit to even think of doing something like that.....period......

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Having trapped a lot of animals in my life, I'm having a difficult time seeing this work. Not that they would not bite it, but that they would still be there to see them on the line.

Are you suggesting that they are caught and still there when you arrive? Or is this a way to have them runoff with a treble hook in their mouth?

I've caught a pile of wild stuff that will fight so hard that they will do far more damage to themselves trying to escape then the trap alone could ever manage. I just don't see a coyote hooked in the thin skin of the lips or tongue staying put without ripping loose and running off. Raccoons, hogs, bear, coyote, wolverine, these guys are gonna rip lose and be gone I think in every case, especially upon your approach.

Cats, possums, skunks, and even Wolves, I could see them curl up and sleep til you arrive. They don't fight traps as relentlessly as the others.

With the bait 4' off the ground the coyote would have little leverage available and I suspect it would work. The cat I caught was off the ground.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess with a springy limb and only the back feet on the ground?

I'm sure you know and have experienced Art, some animals will rip themselves apart without seeming to feel any pain at all to escape, and others will just curl up and lay there.

Wolves were the biggest surprise in my early years trapping. I cannot even recall how many traps I walked up on thinking they were empty only to see a wolf curled up laying there looking at me.

Wolverines on the other hand if they came loose they would chase you all the way back to the skiff trying to kill you.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I guess with a springy limb and only the back feet on the ground?

I'm sure you know and have experienced Art, some animals will rip themselves apart without seeming to feel any pain at all to escape, and others will just curl up and lay there.

Wolves were the biggest surprise in my early years trapping. I cannot even recall how many traps I walked up on thinking they were empty only to see a wolf curled up laying there looking at me.

Wolverines on the other hand if they came loose they would chase you all the way back to the skiff trying to kill you.

Otters in 330s were always the ones that scared me... awful tough to kill when caught wrong. 220s are perfect and never fail to just kill 'em, but when they get in beaver sets with 330s a bunch survive it and are real unhappy about the whole thing.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was always petrified of setting those 330's. If you were caught in one you're not getting out by yourself! I had one set in a barn for a raccoon that was killing the farmers chickens. It was set in front of a 5 gallon bucket with bait in the back. Coons are not trap shy at all.

It was a harmless situation with no risk of non target species. However the farmer had a giant mixed breed dog. Looked mostly like an Akita, or something like that. Hard to really tell it was mangie and oily looking from laying around in the barn, and where they worked on equipment. It was at my age then,.... the meanest living thing on earth. He kept in on a 100 feet of chain when he was not home in front of the house. The idiot would chase me at full speed every time I arrived to check the traps and fly up into the air backwards when the chain ran out. Every single time! He was truly an idiot of a dog.

So I'm there with my then 10 year old brother in my jeep. I get out to go check the coon trap before we head to the pond for the ice hockey game. It was middle of winter. On my way to the barn the idiot dog comes for me,.. and about the time the chain would normally flip him over backwards it breaks and the dog is now free to come for me. I ran my ass off ( thankful noticing this) and jump for the barn interior ladder to the hay loft. Ha Ha! I made it safe and he cannot get me!

However after about 5 minutes I'm thinking my little brother is gonna come looking for me. He would be shook like a rag by this beast. HHHMMMM well there is no coon in the trap....... I can climb over to the other side with the dog following my every movement. Sure enough he sees the bait and WHACK, one giant dog dead as a rock. A few kicks and a a gasp then it's over.

So the farmer will kill me now, but what was I gonna do? The Farmer ended up not caring one bit. He said it was actually a relief because he was afraid that beast would kill somebody or badly hurt them and he would be sued. So I kept up with the trap line and never had a problem.

The biggest takeaway though was being a man about the whole thing and telling him what I did in the first place. I could have carried that dead dog away and never said a word.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a friend that will make you laugh so much that you cant get a breath, when telling about the time he got his arm caught in a 330.

Luckly it happened at his barn, so he walked to the house to get his wife to help get it off.

Needless to say, he tells of the shock of getting caught, the struggling of trying to get out while at the barn, the decision to get his wife to help, the pain, and how useless his wife was.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I got a friend that will make you laugh so much that you cant get a breath, when telling about the time he got his arm caught in a 330.

Luckly it happened at his barn, so he walked to the house to get his wife to help get it off.

Needless to say, he tells of the shock of getting caught, the struggling of trying to get out while at the barn, the decision to get his wife to help, the pain, and how useless his wife was.

Lucky his arm wasn't broken. Those 330s are one bad mother.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The worst injury I saw with one was massive blood loss when the forked metal trigger speared through the forearm of an acquaintance I had in Alaska. He was rather close to death before getting help by a miracle of a hiking passerby.

I met up with him a short time after the event and he told me the trap was secured to a slider and that weight went down into the water trying to pull him down. All the while the blood was soaking through his jacket and he was being pulled by that weight.

I love the performance but hated the fear they put in me. Ha Ha, some of my buddies tell me I'm way to paranoid about stuff. I reply Paranoia has kept my alive over 1/2 a century now!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by hanco
Guys on the deer lease catch them. They hang a big treble hook 4 feet off the groung baited with hamburger. They do this by the place where dump deer and hog guts. They have caught quite a few.

Sorry, I cannot hate any animal that much. A cat once caught itself on a sturgeon bait I left dangling out of the pickup bed. I hate cats and still felt bad for catching it.

I agree. I'd be tempted to shoot the guys not the yotes...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Coyotes and bears are predators, and should be treated as such.... Aerial gunning, snaring, treble hooks, dogs etc....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It must suck walking around with that much ignorance and hate 24/7.....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Judman
Coyotes and bears are predators, and should be treated as such.... Aerial gunning, snaring, treble hooks, dogs etc....
no love for coyotes, but pulling wings off flies might suit your needs

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No not really. I like quality hunting for deer, elk, moose etc. nothing ignorant about that....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So only the animals YOU like have a place in nature and should be treated humanly......got it.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya that's it.....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I can remember in this area, when their was plenty of rabbits, pheasants, quail, and deer. Now their are plenty of hawks owls and coyotes. I wish we could kill-em all any way possible like people did before they all got Bambi-ized.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya it's a. Feminized society for sure. Hell some of these donkeys act like they'd rather eat coyote, wolf or bear steak than a good buck or bull steak.....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 19rabbit52
I can remember in this area, when their was plenty of rabbits, pheasants, quail, and deer. Now their are plenty of hawks owls and coyotes. I wish we could kill-em all any way possible like people did before they all got Bambi-ized.

You don't suppose Rabbit, Quail, Pheasant, and Deer hunters as well as the loss of habitat so's you could build a house, clean farming, and over grazing had anything to do with that do you.....

Yea.....I didn't think so....

All that aside.....it's still a sad sack of chit that thinks gutting an animal with a fish hook is acceptable......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Funny thing about social media, lotta thing get said that wouldn't get said to ones face...... Social media has created lotsa tough guys you big name caller you field grade!!! And folks wonder why there are so many azzholes on the web.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Funny thing about social media, lotta thing get said that wouldn't get said to ones face...... Social media has created lotsa tough guys you big name caller you field grade!!! And folks wonder why there are so many azzholes on the web.

I live at 31553 Whitetail Lane in Lenore ID.....stop by any time you're feeling froggy....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,095
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.