Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
It depends on the bullet as to whether the shoulder shot is ethical or not, IMO. A shoulder or shoulders deliberately shot with a C&C bullet proves you have no regard for a big game animal.

A monolithic will do far less meat damage and produce the same immediate drop when shot right through the shoulders...

Not knowing the difference is telling...

Well, It is nice to know that after all of these years, I just found out that I have no regard for big game animals. How does a quick death show lack of regard?

That is stupid statement.

The meat loss due to a C&C through the shoulder is ridiculous compared to a monolithic. I doubt you have seen the difference if you do not understand what I stated.

We understand perfectly well what you stated. You essentially say that we have no regard for an animal, if we shoot bullets that destroy some meat. I still say that was a stupid statement, unless you have a better explanation of what you meant.

I have shot elk and deer through the shoulders many times. On an elk, you will lose some, but rarely all of it unless you are shooting a speed demon. On deer, it is irrelevant, as there is a small amount of meat on the front shoulders anyway. I rarely lose both shoulders, even on a deer. I will take a quick kill and no blood trailing over saving a dinky bit of meat any day.

Monos are fine, but I get along real well with Accubonds, Partitions and Interlocks and until I am forced to do it, I will probably not shoot monos.

There you go! You do not shoot with monos and still want to shoot through the shoulders with bullets which WILL destroy a large quantity of meat.

If you had shot monos you would have seen the difference. I stand by my contention that deliberate shots through the shoulders with C&C bullets is at best disrespectful...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
One of the first things I noticed when I switched from C&C bullets to Nosler Partitions is that I had less meat chewed up with just about any hit, and smaller exits.

They certainly killed as well and as quickly and maybe better with hits that needed more penetration.

I am not surprised that the Barnes boys are noticing the same sort of things and maybe to a greater degree.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BobinNH
One of the first things I noticed when I switched from C&C bullets to Nosler Partitions is that I had less meat chewed up with just about any hit, and smaller exits.

They certainly killed as well and as quickly and maybe better with hits that needed more penetration.

I am not surprised that the Barnes boys are noticing the same sort of things and maybe to a greater degree.

It is a huge difference, almost always.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I try to shoot everything in the shoulders, too brushy around here to track critters, I love c&c boolits...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I stand by my contention that deliberate shots through the shoulders with C&C bullets is at best disrespectful...

And I'm sure the deer feels really bad about being disrespected.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by southtexas

I stand by my contention that deliberate shots through the shoulders with C&C bullets is at best disrespectful...

If it floats your boat you get to live with it. If you ever develop ANY class you will feel bad about it... the deer always loses.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You do what works for you. The rest of us slob hunters will get by.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If it floats your boat you get to live with it. If you ever develop ANY class you will feel bad about it... the deer always loses.

If you respect the animal so much why do you kill it?! They're food on the hoof, for goodness sake.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ringman

If you respect the animal so much why do you kill it?! They're food on the hoof, for goodness sake.

Food on the hoof? So you shoot said food right through the food?

You cannot be serious? Call me anything you wish but I am not so goofy as to miss the miss...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You do what works for you. The rest of us slob hunters will get by.

Slob works for me... describing you...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A) likes to do things that make him feel good, but that in reality have no impact

B) likes to think he is superior to others

C) wants to impose his "morals" on others

Are you a Democrat?? shocked

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

It is an absolutely "huge" difference. It has to be at least a pound or two of meat or so on a deer. Good grief!

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman

Food on the hoof? So you shoot said food right through the food?

You cannot be serious? Call me anything you wish but I am not so goofy as to miss the miss...

Yes. I am serious. After I kill an animal I take it to the processor. After ageing for a couple weeks they are reduced to steaks and roasts....you know....food.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

It is an absolutely "huge" difference. It has to be at least a pound or two of meat or so on a deer. Good grief!

Having seen easily a hundred pounds of meat ruined on a single moose more than once, a bison once, and lots of shoulders that amounted to a Hell of a lot more than a pound or two on a deer... I stand by my statement, absolutely.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A) likes to do things that make him feel good, but that in reality have no impact

Just because you fail to see the obvious does not mean it is not there.

If you have issues with someone on an internet site creating that feeling in you, I suggest you find a mirror.

I have not imposed anything on anyone. I have simply given my opinion. You are free to keep your head planted or look around.

You obviously are as good at noting bullet performance differences as you are at political insight...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen the work of dozens of ordinary cup and cores, as well as an equal number of better bullets used on moose over a few decades. Never have I seen anything close to a hundred pounds of meat ruined by any of them. That said, while mono-copper/bronze tend, on average by long stretch, to ruin a lot less meat than most others, it has also been the mono-coppers which have made some of the biggest wastes of good meat. And, while bullet placement matters more than anything when it comes to ruined meat - and that applies to breaking big bones perhaps more than anything else- a monolithic bullet vs heavy bone is nowhere near as destructive as a cup and core often is.

But I tend to think meat damage is also related to two significant if secondary factors, those being very high-speed impacts, and prolonged time between initial contact with the animal and the termination of circulation (which is related to where the bullet(s) were placed).

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you have issues with someone on an internet site creating that feeling in you, I suggest you find a mirror.

I have not imposed anything on anyone. I have simply given my opinion. You are free to keep your head planted or look around.

You obviously are as good at noting bullet performance differences as you are at political insight...

I've used the TTSX and selected CnC bullets (read not varmint bullets) on the animals that I hunt. I know what works, and what doesn't.

I can't speak to bison or moose or conditions where you hunt.

And you can't extrapolate your experience on selected animals in your flora, to reach a conclusion about what is best in other conditions and on other animals. Moreover, it is quite presumptive to use those same data to condemn others's ethics.

You can stand by whatever you like. But it is without credibility outside your narrow little world.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 2014 I misjudged the wind and lost my first big game animal. From the initial heavy, dark blood trail the bullet hit the liver and blood chest high on the brush on both sides of the trail showed the bullet exited. The cow went over a ridge, across a valley and over an even higher ridge before we lost the trail.

Wish I had hit it in the shoulder instead. A little lost meat is nothing compared to losing the entire animal.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I've used the TTSX and selected CnC bullets (read not varmint bullets) on the animals that I hunt. I know what works, and what doesn't.

I can't speak to bison or moose or conditions where you hunt.

And you can't extrapolate your experience on selected animals in your flora, to reach a conclusion about what is best in other conditions and on other animals. Moreover, it is quite presumptive to use those same data to condemn others's ethics.

You can stand by whatever you like. But it is without credibility outside your narrow little world.

I happen to hunt all sorts of critters, including deer... and have seen huge meat loss on deer and it averages well north of two or three pounds. I doubt your hunting World is even close to as wide as mine, but no need to disabuse you of your fantasies...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I know, you've made it quite clear... You have broader experience, higher moral character, better ethics, higher IQ, and probably a longer...

Have a nice life.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

292 members (1minute, 204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 40 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,428
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.