Print Thread
Hop To
R
Recon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
This is my second year of using a Diamond Edge Infinite Bow by Bowtech (very basic introductory bow). I'm looking for a stabilizer. I don't have much, but I could trade 2 boxes of .17 WSM bullets for it. I'd like something heftier than came on the stock bow but don't have $$ to spend another $50-75 on one. PM me if you can help.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is your intention to add a heavy stabilizer? Or maybe I should say what are you trying to accomplish?

I know target archers use them religiously, but as a hunter, I have used one and then taken it off. I honestly cannot see enough of a difference to justify this addition on a hunting bow.

I think there might be a mental thing that helps guys, but from a pure hunting setup I cannot see anything in the way of an advantage. Especially when all the rage today is much lighter bows, then the guys add all this stuff to make it heavy again?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
Recon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I am trying to increase my accuracy out at 40, 50, and 60 yards. The heavier stabilizer should help offset and counter balance the bow upon release. This is the way it's been explained to me anyway. My bow is very light and I don't mind adding a little weight if it helps me stay on target at that range.

There is not doubt that a stabilizer does just that. I'm not looking for an Olympic size/weight stabilizer, just something a little heavier/longer than the cheap one that came on my bow. Looks like I got a PM.

Thanks guys.

T
T
Recon, send me your address and I'll send you an older model Martin/Howatt. It has an adapter so it will fit 1/4" or 5/16 inserts. When you get it you can send me what you think it's worth to cover shipping...no more than ten bucks.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Toxalot
Recon, send me your address and I'll send you an older model Martin/Howatt. It has an adapter so it will fit 1/4" or 5/16 inserts. When you get it you can send me what you think it's worth to cover shipping...no more than ten bucks.

^^^^^^

Can't beat that!, nice gesture....

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Some stabilizers work better than others. Some are merely counterweights.

They can balance a bow, reduce torque and even help tame vibration and noise.

You watch folks shooting IBO and other stuff seriously, in the hunter classes.........you bet they run a stabilizer.

Some bows benefit from them more than others.

Tamed an 82# PSE Mach 4 back in the day with a home made stabilizer. Less than 12" overall......delrin rod with a 14 oz brass weight on the end. It worked GREAT.

My Blackwidow HS58 recurve needed some help, ran a K tech 3" w Mathews S coil module. Not cheap ($65) but it worked well enough (tell it was better with, than without).

My HF1225 recurve however, doesn't need one.

2005 Hoyt Protec ran an Alpine, which did minimal. Bow balance sucked too (needed more out front, was heavy enough already). I machined a brass weight and changed the cap......got it perfect.

Crunching arrows at 50 yards is kinda cool.....for a little while anyway.

This one tried to duck me at 45 yards. Not fast enough. Spined it and added a finisher after she rolled down the hill.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I am NOT a fan of many of the new stabilizers.
More gimmick than help.
Do think looks to be considered.

Ktec kinda fit the look of the HS

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had a K tec 5" and it looked horrible on the HS, and he HF, and even looked out of place on my kid's Mathews.

Luckily, I sold it for what I had in it (well it was never shot on a bow, just screwed in and screwed off.......because of looks).

Like the little 3" on metal risers though. Too modern for wood riser rigs.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,422
Posts18,489,130
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.