Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Tejano
If it were my rifle I would wipe it down with Murphy's soap and immediately dry it off. If the finish was good I would use a quality wax on it like Renaissance, Briwax or any that have Carnuba wax in them.

I would be tempted to at least rub it down with Artist grade Linseed Oil thinned with turpentine before waxing. If you wanted more durability then Linspeed or any of the better spar varnishes could be mixed in at half linseed, 1/4 turps, and 1/4 varnish or less.

Regarding Oil and shellac mixes: James V. Howe has a formula in "Modern Gunsmithing" using shellac and linseed oil. Many of the formulas for Slacum used by Purdey and others have shellac added as a filler. LC Smith and Parker both used an oil shellac mixture for finishing and Parker would mix oil, shellac and varnish for really porous wood.

I didn't think it would work until I tried it and they are not only compatible but produced a nice finish faster and with at least initially more water repellent properties than oil alone. Not as durable as any of the modern finishes but traditional.

Thanks for sharing that. I have used it successfully for years on outdoor gear and knew I wasnt the only one.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Wow, guess I missed all the excitement.

To an amateur, I may seem like an accomplished woodworker. To the latter, I may seem like an amateur. All I can say is that I have more kinds of wood, and stains, waxes, oils, finishes, woodworking tools, what have you, than I can shake a fist at.

A few points I can make are:

I would not use shellac and BLO on a stock. Ever. Don't know if it is technically a varnish or not and don't care.

Tate's stock looks very nice, but I have the Watco stuff here and I'd not use it on a stock. If I did, I would worry about sealing it somehow, and keeping it sealed. I don't feel it is that durable or that it penetrates that well. I don't do glossy finishes of any type and never will.

Carry on....

A piece of advice... you should ALWAYS make the finish glossy and then rub it down to a sheen you can live with, or love. Glossy finishes are both more durable and more waterproof.

Read what this man said....he is exactly right. The most durable satin finish will always be a rubbed out gloss finish due to the manufacturing processes to make a satin formulation...a byproduct of the process weakens it.

What actually weakens the semi-gloss finish is the addition of silica as a flatting agent.
Yeah well it's damned hard to f*ckin tell as I've used about every finish there is at one time or another including gloss, semi gloss and satin oil based polyurethanes and I'll be damned if I can tell a difference. One things for sure and that is they are all pretty durable and much more so than'any of the water based or "wipe on" poly's and oil finishes like tru oil or linspeed. The rifle in the OP is a hunting rifle for f*ck sakes and as such should have some damned scratches. I'd rub some minwax spar poly in the scratch, let it sit for a few and wipe off the excess. Let dry, repeat the procedure a couple times and call it good.

Well, among most of your other foolish statements you can add being totally clueless about poly finishes. Most of the current water-based polys are as good as they come and quite a bit harder and stronger than the old hydrocarbon solvent polys...

There is no doubt you will be damned, and if there is a wage to pay for not being able to see the very obvious differences between toughness and waterproofness in matte finishes versus gloss your bill will be high.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[/quote]
All good information but where would you put BLO in your points? [/quote]

You already know about BLO. The hardware store stuff is OK as a burnt oil finish for blacksmiths. It should never come near any fine firearm. Real boiled linseed oil I haven't used but I have used artist stand oil which is very useful in traditional finishes. It is sun dried partially polymerized high grade linseed oil similar to real boiled linseed oil. I usually add a small amount of cobalt or japan dryier to speed up the process. Red lead is the best oxidizer but a little too toxic to mess with.

Clives Lemon Oil is one of the best for conditioning a stock. I think it is a form of Slacum but not sure. May not be available anymore but was at one time as part of the Purdey Warthog line of products. The originators name is Lemon but I don't know if it has lemon oil in it at all. Don Allen recommended this for his Dakota Rifles.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can say that minwax polycrylic is susceptible to most gun solvents. I finished a gun cleaning bench with several coats and had to go over it with oil based as Hoppes, break free, and other oils and solvents would melt it.

Gloss rubbed out is always better than looking through the flatteners in matte. You can also go gloss until the final coat, as it makes the finish less muddy.

Regarding Watco, I was going off of the Jewett finishing book. Supposedly if you leave a drop on a hard surface like the mirror and it dries hard it is varnish. Wrinkly it is oil and varnish blend. If it doesn't dry in a reasonable time it is oil. Watco dries wrinkly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by K1500
I can say that minwax polycrylic is susceptible to most gun solvents. I finished a gun cleaning bench with several coats and had to go over it with oil based as Hoppes, break free, and other oils and solvents would melt it.

Gloss rubbed out is always better than looking through the flatteners in matte. You can also go gloss until the final coat, as it makes the finish less muddy.

Regarding Watco, I was going off of the Jewett finishing book. Supposedly if you leave a drop on a hard surface like the mirror and it dries hard it is varnish. Wrinkly it is oil and varnish blend. If it doesn't dry in a reasonable time it is oil. Watco dries wrinkly.

I agree with most everything... I am not a fan of Jewett or his book...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, among most of your other foolish statements you can add being totally clueless about poly finishes. Most of the current water-based polys are as good as they come and quite a bit harder and stronger than the old hydrocarbon solvent polys...

There is no doubt you will be damned, and if there is a wage to pay for not being able to see the very obvious differences between toughness and waterproofness in matte finishes versus gloss your bill will be high.
Look you thievin know it all azzhole, I've got two rifles in my safe right now that are finished with Minwax poly. One in gloss one in satin. I've hunted each of those rifles for 8 years since the refinish and there ain't no difference ANYBODY COULD TELL INCLUDING YOUR SANCTIMONIOUS STUPID AZZ. Also have used water based and there IS A VERY NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE IN DURABILITY YOU AZZHOLE, AS THE WATER BASE IS VERY BRITTLE AND CRACKS/CHIPS EASILY. So go F*ck yourself silly and see if you can find anymore stuff you'd like to steal from your customers and shut the f*ck up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Look you thievin know it all azzhole, I've got two rifles in my safe right now that are finished with Minwax poly. One in gloss one in satin. I've hunted each of those rifles for 8 years since the refinish and there ain't no difference ANYBODY COULD TELL INCLUDING YOUR SANCTIMONIOUS STUPID AZZ. Also have used water based and there IS A VERY NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE IN DURABILITY YOU AZZHOLE, AS THE WATER BASE IS VERY BRITTLE AND CRACKS/CHIPS EASILY. So go F*ck yourself silly and see if you can find anymore stuff you'd like to steal from your customers and shut the f*ck up.

There you go posting proof you know nothing about anything you post...

Anecdotes prove nothing, especially when you are talking about finishes applied by the clueless and tested by the blind in situations proving nothing. Congratulations!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
They've been proven in the field in all kinds of weather and that's really all that matters. I won't bother to comment on the rest of your drivel because that's all it is.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah right, double blinds and all, by a skilled researcher with a flair for serious depth.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't use my rifles for paddling my canoe or anchoring my boat. They do need to hold up to being hunted all day in rain, snow and sleet without showing water damage. The Minwax Helmsman poly's whether gloss or satin have done that better than any other finish I've used plus being more resistant to wear and scrathches. Pardon me but I'll trust my own experience over your research and theoretical pontifications any day ending in "Y" you pompous dickhead.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Such serious deliberations on such a vast set of examples! I'll bet your statistical evaluations taxed your cerebral cortex to near failure on two sets of one each... you should be more careful, it might spontaneously combust next time!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Umm, I've finished quite a few stocks for myself over the past 40 years and many more for customers. I make a decent living working on guns and it's been my sole source of income for quite a few years now. I don't believe I need your advice on anything.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Umm, I've finished quite a few stocks for myself over the past 40 years and many more for customers. I make a decent living working on guns and it's been my sole source of income for quite a few years now. I don't believe I need your advice on anything.

Were this true it would say a lot about someone as clueless as you have proven to be repeatedly...

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Were this true it would say a lot about someone as clueless as you have proven to be repeatedly...
Well it is true dickhead, get over it. I know quite a few well known and highly regarded smiths personally. Have worked for several over the years actually. Not one uses your cockamamy tru-oil over epoxy finishing technique. Most use one brand or another of polyurethane, even for their so called "oil" finished stocks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Well it is true dickhead, get over it. I know quite a few well known and highly regarded smiths personally. Have worked for several over the years actually. Not one uses your cockamamy tru-oil over epoxy finishing technique. Most use one brand or another of polyurethane, even for their so called "oil" finished stocks.

Wow, you sure do get uptight over all sorts of little stuff...

And the ones that do use epoxy and oil? Considering the numbers out there? Compelling argument again! Your background shortcomings show clearly.

You want to badmouth a method you have no experience with, endorse some that are clearly inferior to similar finishes, badmouth some outstanding products with far better characteristics in the areas you should be looking for, claim you are making a long-term living as a full-time gunsmith, and be taken seriously?

Acting the aggressive ass is obviously a cover for a real shallow intellect and a lack of experience. Phony mean anything to you?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

And the ones that do use epoxy and oil? Considering the numbers out there? Compelling argument again! Your background shortcomings show clearly.

You want to badmouth a method you have no experience with, endorse some that are clearly inferior to similar finishes, badmouth some outstanding products with far better characteristics in the areas you should be looking for, claim you are making a long-term living as a full-time gunsmith, and be taken seriously?

Acting the aggressive ass is obviously a cover for a real shallow intellect and a lack of experience. Phony mean anything to you?
Look, I'm done with you. I don't give a rats azz how you finish your stocks. If you were all you think you are you wouldn't need, nor indeed be able to supplement your income guiding hunters and fishermen. You'd be too damned busy working on guns. Enough said.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Look, I'm done with you. I don't give a rats azz how you finish your stocks. If you were all you think you are you wouldn't need, nor indeed be able to supplement your income guiding hunters and fishermen. You'd be too damned busy working on guns. Enough said.

Clueless again!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Hardly. But sick to death of your useless rambling.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pot, meet Kettle...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Is this guy drunk, or what. Usually I hear diatribes like that in redneck bars...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,856 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,797
Posts18,477,411
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.