Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Barrels? Anyone got any 1st hand experience on accuracy & fouling?

PSA's are 416R, supposedly from Wilson; BCM's are 410 & supposedly from Douglas.........at least that's the info I have.

I have other higher end SS barrels, but am looking for something less for more general use but not CL or nitrided.

MM

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The BCM I have is accurate but I don't think I've ever cleaned the bore so I can't speak to fouling. BCM's SS barrels are a pretty heavy contour though. I wouldn't consider one for a general purpose rig.

The PSA SS barrel I had was accurate enough for me 1.25"ish for five shots. It was a much lighter profile. That barrel was from around four years ago. I don't know if they're still sourcing from the same people.

Plan on the PSA being over gassed and the BCM perfect.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Blue.

Not really worried about the overgassing as I can work that out for the most part, with buffer/springs tuning. And it's CHEAP, FWIW. It would be mid-length gas.

The one & only BCM (with a 16" CL barrel) that I have is really good with an H buffer & a blue Sprinco spring with mid-length gas.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Marking for future reference

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
black hole weaponry.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I have the PSA stainless for one of my daughters. 1 1/2" at 100 years with iron sight and 55gr NBT's. Can't complain for the price.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So, almost no one here is using either a PSA or BCM stainless barrel?????

MM

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
MM, I have one of PSA's 1/7 freedom stainless kits and really could not be happier with it. Built it on an Anderson lower as the ultimate budget build so to speak. Accuracy is plenty good enough for me with cheaper fmj ammo which is what I bought it to shoot primarily. Can hold 3" groups easily with wolf and pmc bulk and I am FAR from accomplished with open sights... Barrel does not foul excessively at all.
I'd guess 6-800 rounds so far and not a hiccup

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember reading where BCM's 410SS barrels were done by Criterion. BCM was in the thread and didn't deny it.

I've shot one and they were good. However, a White Oak done Wilson barrel is as good as it gets without going to a custom barrel maker.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks; this won't be "custom" barrel on this rifle........just something pretty good, short of that.

I've got a"precision" rifle with a Kreiger barrel & really don't need another one at that level, hence looking at readily available, decent, mid-priced stuff.

MM

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Given that the Criterion and Wilson barrels are both lapped, match-grade barrels and the chambering was done right, the only differences would be cosmetic - contour, length, etc. I'd be happy with either one on a match-grade rifle.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Certifiable
MM, I have one of PSA's 1/7 freedom stainless kits and really could not be happier with it. Built it on an Anderson lower as the ultimate budget build so to speak. Accuracy is plenty good enough for me with cheaper fmj ammo which is what I bought it to shoot primarily. Can hold 3" groups easily with wolf and pmc bulk and I am FAR from accomplished with open sights... Barrel does not foul excessively at all.
I'd guess 6-800 rounds so far and not a hiccup

Ditto here.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BarryC
Given that the Criterion and Wilson barrels are both lapped,

PSA doesn't say that their barrels are lapped & I imagine that if they were, they be talking about them.

BCM's are lapped & they says so right up front.

With BCM, you always know exactly what you are going to get; with PSA, sometimes it's a crap shoot as they are pretty vague (on purpose?) about a lot of their stuff.

Thanks for all the info so far, guys.

MM

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

PSA doesn't say that their barrels are lapped & I imagine that if they were, they be talking about them.

True, if they have hand lapped barrels, they say so. My recce upper came from PSA a few years ago, specifically advertised as "hand lapped barrel". It's a great barrel FWIW that does turn out sub 1/2" 5-shot groups when I do my part, with very little fouling as well.

Thing about PSA is their barrels have come from multiple sources, at least in the past, so I'm not sure you can talk about a "PSA barrel" the same as one from a specific manufacturer.

Last edited by Yondering; 08/20/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A barrel doesn't need to be hand lapped to be accurate. WOA doesn't state that their barrels are hand lapped either and they are some of the best out there. Non lapped barrels generally take a little break in before they shoot to their true potential though.

If you get one and its not shooting to your liking, try hitting the throat with some JB, some Tubb's Final Finish, or a traditional (shoot, clean...) break in method.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wareagle700
A barrel doesn't need to be hand lapped to be accurate. WOA doesn't state that their barrels are hand lapped either and they are some of the best out there. Non lapped barrels generally take a little break in before they shoot to their true potential though.

If you get one and its not shooting to your liking, try hitting the throat with some JB, some Tubb's Final Finish, or a traditional (shoot, clean...) break in method.

No, a barrel surely doesn't have to be lapped to be accurate.........I've had several cut rifled barrels that were extremely accurate & most were not lapped & actually, they took very little, to no break-in, to be accurate.

But, cheaper & maybe more mass produced & perhaps less uniform, button rifled barrels will usually be improved by lapping. Somebody (maybe Douglas or Ed Shilen?) once said that lapping will not make a bad barrel good, but it will surely make a good barrel better, or something along those lines.

I've dealt with a lapping process on other things for years & have a variety of compounds available when I've felt the need to touch up a barrel from time to time.

MM

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
It's a great barrel FWIW that does turn out sub 1/2" 5-shot groups when I do my part,

On this forum, only 10 shot groups matter; & even then, preferably 20 or even 30 shots................ wink

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=Yondering]
On this forum, only 10 shot groups matter

That's just for the "all day long" crowd. grin

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wareagle700

On this forum, only 10 shot groups matter

That's just for the "all day long" crowd. grin

TFF !!

[Linked Image]

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PSA's are 416R, supposedly from Wilson;

I've heard/read the same but am not sure if it's true.

Regarding lapped bores, I haven't seen them offered in awhile. I bought an 18" fluted, Wylde, 8-twist that they claimed was lapped. The Wylde-chambered 8-twists were the only ones that I ever saw claimed to be lapped, but there might have been others.

I can't complain about my 18" PSA. I shoot Horny 75gr SteelMatch thru it now. It's slow, but is good enough for what I want/need. I also shot 25gr RL15 under the same bullet with good results and more velocity. But I'm not interested in reloading for this rifle.

Pics below:

1. Quick zero at 100y
2. 5-shots at 490y; 12"x12" plate, ~6" pink
3. Here's your 10-shot groups, but seated w/elbows on legs & fired in quick succession at 150ygrin
4. The rifle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/qck72kqvh/][Linked Image]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/9xzd081zh/][Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,565
Posts18,491,815
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.