Campfire Member
K
ZZZZZZZZZZZ[Linked Image]ZZZZZZZZZZ

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yup, this forum is deader than last years deer, I can't seem to get any feedback on the hunting effectiveness of the 50-90 Sharps rifle.

Trump Won!
K
Kurt71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
smile Maybe not to many man enough to shoot the .50 to give solid advice smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Kurt71
smile Maybe not to many man enough to shoot the .50 to give solid advice smile

I'm trying to figure out why 700 grs at 50 cal and 1340 fps wont penetrate, lol.

Trump Won!
K
Kurt71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I cant help you with that. I never used the .50-90 for a hunt. I can say this with the .485 gr .44's I use for Buff that I never recovered a bullet shot at 1280 to 1320 fps. The last one I took I quartered one with a shot just behind the front elbow and it quartered him and came out by the hind leg going through the bone and never stopped. That is a lot of mass going through and going through that large leg bone.

I might take the .50 just for the heck of it for my next one when the freezer gets low but I will use a 720 gr at around 1280 or close. I haven't loaded any since the Goex express ended. I should get bussy and shoot some ladder loads with the 1.5 OE and see what comes up. I still have around 140 of the express powder sitting on the shelf since 09.
The 2.5 .50 with the 1/22 ROT shoots the heavy 700 grainers quite well. I know it will blow a 60# sand bag all over the place. smile

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
I can't seem to get any feedback on the hunting effectiveness of the 50-90 Sharps rifle.

That's because anything above 45 cal is field artillery or in a wing gun bay grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Kurt, I have heard the big 44's do a fine job and have seen my own 45's do outstanding work, I'm trying to figure why I read 50's wont penetrate and shoot as flat as the 44's and 45's.

If a 50 cal bullet exceeds a 44 or 45 cal bullets velocity, sectional density, and ballistic coefficient, it has to fly just as flat and I believe it's momentum will overcome it's diameter enough to not inhibit penetration.

I'll just have to go and shoot some big game and find out for myself, I don't expect to be let down.

Trump Won!
K
Kurt71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
It won't let you down. I can tell you this. Comparing the sight setting at the Shiloh Buff at 1100+ yards using the .50, .44-100 BN and the .40-70 the sights are almost identical with the at 183 points on the staff of my rough riders and #1's. Very close. I can use the same settings and hit or close by.
The .50 at the Quigley got my in 13th place with some very rough 30 mph full factor left winds and I still had sight adjustments at 800 yards where the .45's had to hold off to stay on the iron.
Don't count the .50 short. What gets in the way of most shooters that shoot the .50 and that is they cant control the torque ot stand the recoil. If you can control the .50 with the 1/22 twist using 115 gr + with the 700 gr 1.5" long bullet it will hit well.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Many Thanks for that too Kurt, I have always believed the 50's extra weight would buck the wind better, and gravity doesn't give a chit how heavy a projectile is given equal BC's.

I can handle to torque, but will admit, that 50 with 700 grs at 1340 fps does indeed kick, my 50 only weighs 11 pounds and has a shotgun butt and a 30" barrel.

Trump Won!
K
Kurt71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
I can't seem to get any feedback on the hunting effectiveness of the 50-90 Sharps rifle.

That's because anything above 45 cal is field artillery or in a wing gun bay grin

Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

I like that. The C-124 had plenty of that. LOL.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There actually was a .50-90 Farmingdale for sale on GB. The auction ended a couple days ago, and someone got a good deal on it. I was tempted but finally passed on it.

I'll add, there's also now a original Remington Rolling block on there, which was rebarreled to .50-90. It looks a bit light for the caliber grin

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 08/21/16.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

K
Kurt71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Gunner The .50 recoil has a effect on the elevation from the muzzle jump over the smaller lighter calibers. But at 1300 plus fps that bullet is not in the 30" barrel to long

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

LOL, dang Woody, I missed this post, and concur, recoil from an 11 pound 50-90 is rough from the bench, it's nowhere as fun as to shoot as my 40-65, 45-70 or even 45-110 bull gun, that bull gun is a big thundering accurate pussycat.smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Gunner The .50 recoil has a effect on the elevation from the muzzle jump over the smaller lighter calibers. But at 1300 plus fps that bullet is not in the 30" barrel to long

I'm gonna give the 50 a fair shake on some heavy game Kurt, even if I have to take it to Africa.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

I like that. The C-124 had plenty of that. LOL.

Thanks Kurt, Greg pinned that on me a few years back and yes the 124 had plenty as well since I flew a few Ranch Hand missions out of PhuCat..I started working at a small municipal airport during my HS years doing field maintenance,washing airplanes and supervised tire changes.Pay was used for my budding gun hobby as well as gas for some free flight lessons from a neighbor. Then Uncle came calling so "prop wash" has flowed through my veins for many moons.

Woody
K
Kurt71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Woody,

smile When I was in the 82nd I was a gunner and for a assistant gunner I got a brand new cherry (new recruit) I was cleaning the M-60 so I told him to go down to the arms room and get me a can of prop blast to get the dust out smile Well he went down to the arms room and asked the arms sgt. for a can of prop blast and the sgt. said you have to go up to the Co. office to ask the first sgt for a order to get it smile the first sgt told him to go back up and get your gunner, he has to pick up the slip from me to take down to the arms sgt. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And the Bosun' sends the new deckhand below for a bucket of fresh live steam,...

...wonder if there's bad consequences for this kinda' thing now,...

Hurt feelers, discrimination, and all that

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Cross, the morning haze is about to burn off, the target will get sharp in the clear morning light, I'm about to head to the bench to see what the new paper patch bullets I cast from a custom Brooks mould will do in the 50-90.

Bullet weighs 704 gr and is sitting on 110 grs 2FG Schutzen black powder, it will start it's journey via a 1 in 22 RH twist 30" barrel.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have NEVER seen kinetic energy on AR400 like that evident when I connected with 300 M. Pigs, shooting a similar load out of that rasty old original hunting roller that Gullo's hauled all over the planet,...once I got the hold off doped, it was no big chore to connect.
WAY to light a rifle to be shooting prone for anything resembling a "string" though.

That FF Schuetzen that I've got here is pretty LIVELY, and energetic powder, hang onto your hat.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The 50's do indeed carry some major momentum Cross, I busted a 200 yard steel gong at Sharpsguys a few weeks ago with my '86 in 50-110, it's 680 gr grease groove bullets leaves at a sedate 1240 fps, but, OH HELL, when it lands!

I installed a Smith Enterprises ladder barrel sight to let me at least hunt with the lever action out to 200 yards, it's 100 and 150 yard settings were right on too.

The loads I built for my 50-90 Sharps have the paper patches Rooster lubed, I do this to make the paper patch ammo more hardy out in the field, in and out of a shell belt, on and off a horse, rain, pickup, etc, etc.

Just fired four at 100 yards, they went into a bit less than 2"s, I can't stand at a bench with the rifle cupped in my left hand on a rest with the butt stock on my shoulder and shoot any better than that, I only use the full buck horn ladder rear barrel sights.

Saw plenty of pp confetti immediately out the end of the barrel in the smoke cloud, i shot this group without wiping or blow tubing, on the last shot, I chambered then ejected a live round in the fouled barrel, reloaded then fired the last shot.

Need to move the rear sight a bit left to get the group centered, I haven't chronoed this load, the way it shoots, I don't think it's gonna matter in a hunting situation ;]

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ya'll are making me hanker again for a .50...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Ya'll are making me hanker again for a .50...

Get on it Tex, they are a BLAST, gotta take mine hunting this year to see how it does on game.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm still thinking on it

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/579192799

If I jump I'd hire the rolling block Meister to examine the rifle. smile

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wouldn't shoot that rifle on gunbroker for money. Just sayin'.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Whewwww, damn Tex, that rifle looks awful light, with a skinny butt too, don't know what twist it has, but 700 grains outta that one would be brutal with full bore black powder loads.

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Gunner, whats the naked and patched diameter of your PP bullets?
PJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whewwww, damn Tex, that rifle looks awful light, with a skinny butt too, don't know what twist it has, but 700 grains outta that one would be brutal with full bore black powder loads.

I asked him what it weighs, we'll see what he says. For me it would be a hunter, not so much for long strings on the line. There are some 500-540gr flat points out there in the .510 to .512 range, and that's what I'd probably use.

Originally Posted by sharpsguy
I wouldn't shoot that rifle on gunbroker for money. Just sayin'.

grin aside from recoil, I wouldn't shoot any original roller without an expert checking it. And I ain't no expert on them smile

K
Kurt71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
If that roller is a original .50-70 re chambered it will shoot a light bullet with it's slower twist. Recoil I don't think would be a factor. I think it would make a nice woods hunting rifle easy to carry.
It's a rifle that would not be a bench rifle, you make off hand snap shots or lean on a tree. You probably would never feel the recoil during a hunting situation. I don't anyway when I take a shot at a deer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If that barrel was made by who I THINK it was, it may very well be a real hummer.....PARTICULARLY if the fella that made the barrel fitted it and did the action tuning.

If it fell into my clutches, I'd look at sleeving that barrel with some common DOM Tubing, and ballasting the void with tungsten powder / epoxy.

GTC

K
Kurt71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I just weight my Carbine and it weighs 7# 7 OZ. but it's a 45-70

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Those original Rem. Military Buttplates are WAY wider than the "Crescent" variety, and as well that Original Sharps Military abortion.

I LIKE that thing, myself,....and If old Shuetz ( one pf P.O. Ackley's old pards) put it together, it's a steal at the asking price.

GTC

K
Kurt71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I just look at that rifle it has a 1/2 round barrel so that should add some weight, But I wouldn't give that starting price for a parts build roller carbine. I have rifle and carbine that I don't have that much invested in both.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The problem is, we don't know the barrel twist. If it is the original slow twist, it MIGHT shoot the lighter bullets. In that case, recoil will be stiff, but manageable. I have had a couple of 50-90s with slow twists that wouldn't shoot the light bullets, or any other bullet worth a damn, so you never know. If it is the 1-22 or 1-26 twist, it is going to take at least a 650 grain bullet to make it shoot. My 50-90 shoots a 650 grain bullet into 1 1/2 inches center to center at 100 yards, and at 13 pounds it still kicks. A lot. No way I'm going to shoot a 7 1/2 pound rifle in that caliber with any weight bullet, let alone 650 to 750 grains. I don't have that much hair on my chest, and I don't want floaters or a detached retina in my shooting eye.

The thing about a 50-90 is that some of them will shoot, and gunner and Kurt have rifles that will, as will mine, but not all of them are shooters. FWIW, I have owned seven 50-90 Sharps, and the one I have now is the only one that I have owned that would consistently stay under four inches at 100 with black powder with any load or bullet I tried. The other six have long since gone down the road. I still have a big stack of targets I can show somebody if they want to see them.

K
Kurt71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I know the .50 is not for everyone. I like mine and I can shoot it quite well. I don't shoot it to much anymore maybe be because my 76 years are starting to catch up with me but it is I the Gypsy wagon when I go to the matches. I reach for it when the conditions are tough.
One day the kids where here and my Son saw the .50 leaning on the stair case rail and he asked me can you hit a poker chip at 100 yards with it using those iron sights? He shoot the varmint rifle scoped.
I said well get some scotch tape and tape it in the center of that 130 yard target in the center of the black because I won't be able to see the chip so I will lign up on the black bull. smile
I grabbed a hand full of shells while he was taping the chip to the target, they where mixed 680 gr HP and 720 gr creedmoor nosed. I shot and he said I still see the chip with a snicker and after 4 shots he said I still see it LOL. Well lets walk down and take a look. Well I didn't center it but I took out 4 nickes around the edges smile
I just love it when things work out LOL.

[Linked Image]IMG_0246 by Kurt, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG_0247 by Kurt, on Flickr

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I told you boys Kurt could shoot.

K
Kurt71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Bill we all have our good and bad days. That chip is not as good as the 5 you put on the 400 yd iron you could cover with that nicked up chip with barrel sights. 130 yards ain't nothing

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Those original Rem. Military Buttplates are WAY wider than the "Crescent" variety, and as well that Original Sharps Military abortion.

I LIKE that thing, myself,....and If old Shuetz ( one pf P.O. Ackley's old pards) put it together, it's a steal at the asking price.

GTC

That's good to hear Cross, I was thinking after I saw the gunbroker rifle Tex posted about that it was kinda like that light weight roller you were talking about earlier today.

And yes, I like the big butt plates too, iirc the steel butt on my 8 bore is nearly 2.5"s wide, I'll take it! smile

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I'm gonna give the 50 a fair shake on some heavy game Kurt, even if I have to take it to Africa.

I got a spare if you need it....and it's AWESOME!! GREAT BIG DIFFERENCE in the WHANG of that 720 gr. vs any of the .45 loads!!

This one....ain't light!

Last edited by Sharpsman; 08/23/16.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Oh hell, don't tell me you've got a 50 cal bull gun.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Two!

16#

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gunner, you're screwed now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And...The price of lead just went up !

Woody
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]THEBASTARD001 by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Before I developed two herniated disc in my back and could shoot prone I took THE BASTARD out and tested these PP loads from 1000 yards. I shot ten rounds just testing to see what the vertical would be and if I had corrected for wind all shots would have been in the 20" ten ring. As it was the rifle still delivered a 98.

[Linked Image]68999d9b by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Last edited by Sharpsman; 08/24/16.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

And...The price of lead just went up !

laugh, lawd have mercy on my soul men.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice rifle and damn good shooting Rick, you don't have to tell me why you call it "The Bastard" grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
' tis so,....

Rick, what's the weight of that one ?

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 08/24/16.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Two!

16#

Cross, I believe it's one of these^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So yes, 16lb bull barrel guns, I gotta stay the hell outta this forum. cry ;]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Just went and patched 40 more 705 gr 50 cal bullets, they'll be ready for a rooster lube dip tonight, then ready for loading and the shell belt in the morning. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just went and patched 40 more 705 gr 50 cal bullets, they'll be ready for a rooster lube dip tonight, then ready for loading and the shell belt in the morning. wink

That belt with dang near a half pound of lead would pull my drawers down around my ankles! grin

Woody
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

That belt with dang near a half pound of lead would pull my drawers down around my ankles! grin

LOL, there may be 4lbs of lead there in bullet heads alone, never mind the brass powder primers and belt. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I put four of these rounds into a bit less than 2" group the other day Woody, it's 110 grs of Schutzen 2FG under these 705 gr paper patch bullets.

About to go out and chrono five to get an average velocity and es number, I'll report back.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds good. My belt full of 520 gr Gov't bullets makes me walk sideways can't image one full of your artillery shells! grin

Woody
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, cool damn sport we've been manipulated into participating in by the likes of ET and Sharpsguy aint it? grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10-4...and thinking I had enough lead a few yrs ago to last a life time. whistle

Woody
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4...and thinking I had enough lead a few yrs ago to last a life time. whistle

LOL, lead wont last with the big 45's and 50's ;]

My 705 gr load ran 1244 fps average with an es of 14 fps, I think I'll leave it be and hunt it. wink

Lotta momentum there Woody.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That would make a tyrannosaur weak in the knees! grin

Woody
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Got a buddy that lives two miles north of me and he told me a while back...."You've been shooting that cannon again!" He told me I can tell when cause that big bullet hitting that steel is a lot louder than that .45 of yours!

He's right....it is a very distinct difference!

K
Kurt71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
The range here is just over the field about 1 1/4 miles away. My wife can tell by the sound when I change rifles by the way the .50 sounds smile

I don't know what is going on here on this forum but it wont let me type more then 2 or 3 letter with out locking up the curser.It just blinks this stinks!!!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That would make a tyrannosaur weak in the knees! grin

LOL, would love to bust a bison square on the shoulder at a quartering on angle to see if he gets weak in the knees. wink

Agreed Rick and Kurt, my 50 has a distinctly different sound than all my other black powder cartridge rifles, I've heard a slight high pitched whine just in front of the BOOMMM, damn near sounds like field artillery. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smile One day I shot my .45-90 at the public range, and it was mostly people shooting black rifles. I touch off the first shot, and through plugs and headset, I hear a woman yell, "what the f___ was that?!" A .50 might be even more better grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, your gonna have to knock the dust off a stack of those mallards Tex, Sharpsman here has a nice bull gun he may sell. cool

May as well bite the 50 cal bullet and get it over with ;]

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smile I still have a .38-55 that needs shooting, too...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The more the merrier, a 265 gr cast performance bullet and a hefty charge of RL-7 will put you and that 38-55 in a very good place provided you're not gonna shoot black in it.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a Ruger #1 so no I think it will get smokeless. It's also a fairly rare #1. A pic of it over in the .22 K Hornet thread we derailed smile

I have some CP 260gr LFN's and also Hawk 255 flat points. Thinking H4198 since I have a few pounds.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4, I saw it beside your Bee but didn't know what it was, 4198 will do the deal too, I get 1844 fps in a modern 24" barreled M-94, you could get a lot more in that #1 if you wanted it.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Just cast 50 each 705 gr 50 cal and 530 gr 45 cal paper patch bullets, all that made the cut weighed within a grain and a half after weighing and sorting.

Casting is great fun, will meet my bane and roll the patches on them all later this week. cry ;]

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You need to video your paper patching, complete with audio, for us. We need a refresher in creative cursing. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
You need to video your paper patching, complete with audio, for us. We need a refresher in creative cursing. grin

Ed

Lord have Mercy would it be! blushlaugh

That kinda nimbleness is woman's work. mad

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Back in the day, the Sharps factory hired women to paper patch bullets by hand. Hugo Borchardt finally invented a machine to do it, but bullets were patched by women by hand at Sharps for a number of years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just cast 50 each 705 gr 50 cal and 530 gr 45 cal paper patch bullets, all that made the cut weighed within a grain and a half after weighing and sorting.

Casting is great fun, will meet my bane and roll the patches on them all later this week. cry ;]

grin patching is great therapy!! In the old daze in the asylum, they just had us weave baskets!! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Back in the day, the Sharps factory hired women to paper patch bullets by hand. Hugo Borchardt finally invented a machine to do it, but bullets were patched by women by hand at Sharps for a number of years.

Absolutely agree with that hiring pool Sharpsguy, our fingers/hands were NOT built for such delicate work.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

grin patching is great therapy!! In the old daze in the asylum, they just had us weave baskets!! grin

LOL EvilTwin, time is drawing near for critters to get a one way pass to the meat boxes and freezers via Holy Black and Cast Lead bullets. cool

I'm by-damn ready too.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
50-90 at 705 grs and 45-110 at 530 grs damn near knocked the 300 yard plate off the chains, COME ON NOVEMBER!!!!!

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
50-90??? I hear they don't penetrate! Use the 577 :-)

Last edited by Biebs; 10/06/16.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Biebs
50-90??? I hear they don't penetrate! Use the 577 :-)

LOLlaugh, maybe I could get a 700 Nitro and try to kill em with class? shocked

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You guys are nucking futs!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I know where there's a 50-140 for sale if you really want to man-up :-)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking a .50-90 would be interesting...a .50-140 would likely be too much of a good thing smirk

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
You guys are nucking futs!

Yes, yes we are Crow, what took ya so long to notice? laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

My 50-90 is a plenty from the bench with Holy Black and 700+ grains, but, it no where in hell kicks like my 577 Nitro or 505 Gibbs, and damn sure isn't even the same galaxy as an 8 Bore with a full 400 grs of black under an 850 gr round ball, that is next to pure religion at 1400 fps. laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm thinking a .50-90 would be interesting...a .50-140 would likely be too much of a good thing smirk

Yes, a 140 may kick 700 grs up well over 1450 fps, that would mucho suck for 30/40 rounds benched, I'm going to go drink a quart of liquid Advil for just thinking about it. grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Accomplished quality par excellence..

[video:youtube]chttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXoP1f26FDE[/video]

Woody
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BY-GOD, this forum..............IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!! laugh

Cool Vid Woody. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
But BP doesn't recoil.....it just shoves!!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
But BP doesn't recoil.....it just shoves!!

400 grains in an 8 Bore shoves a real long way too. shocked laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't been on for awhile so I'll keep it going. Just received my custom .460 540gr RNFP greaser. Ordered this similar profile as my 530 PP shoots so well..The mold specs say 540 with WW but I cast primarily 30:1 it should tip the digital a tad heavier. Big heavies are a blast especially launched from the 110 over max quantities of compressed 2F..Flame away fellas !! grin

[Linked Image]

Woody
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Accomplished quality par excellence..

[video:youtube]chttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXoP1f26FDE[/video]

Thanks for putting that up - I've toured the factory but never saw any of the process in action. I thoroughly enjoyed that!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice looking slugs Woody, they'll get it done!

I just fired all 4 of my Sharps rifles at 100 yards with one shot each from a clean cold barrel, they all BY-GOD grouped in a clustered ragged hole of about 2"s.

50-90 705 gr PP bullet at 1240 +4" dead center.
45-110 530 gr PP bullet at 1390 fps + 3.5" 1/2" to the left.
45-70 530 gr PP bullet at 1241 fps +3" 3/4" to the right.
40-65 416 gr FN greaser at 1385 fps, + 2.5" dead center.

These boomsticks are ready, COME ON NOVEMBER!!!!!

You Men got yer rifles ready?

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, this forum is deader than my pecker will be should I live to a 100. cry

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
No it ain't. There's at least two of us here. grin

I cleared some overgrowth and extended my 400yd berm this afternoon in anticipation of ringing some steel with my Sharps before rifle season kicks in.

Besides, I'm going back up to Kansas this year to hunt whitetails on the Prairie, so I need to be carrying the appropriate firearm. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice going on the brush clearing Ed, i have a 700 yard gaze up to the treeline in the North pasture, I'll never posses enough Sharps Rifle talent to reach that. shocked laugh

Even if I did, I could never get steady enough in a hunting situation to cleanly kill an animal at that range.

Good luck on your Kansas hunt this year too, heavy bullets in your Sharps will help with that damn wind up there.

I learned decades ago, if I need to fly a damn kit, the state of Kansas will not disappoint! grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Reading this makes me feel terribly inadequate. CB shorts are pathetic.

Woody, who made those moulds?

And by the way, I know a fella that was working on an 8 bore double rifle and that sucker was and is a hummer. He was getting groups in the 3-4" range @ 100 yds offhand while shooting both barrels. Then he lost his mind and cocked both barrels at the same time.

It doubled. He said the sky turned purple. Other than a lot of pain, the first recollection he had after the shot was his buddy asking if he was OK. The gun was layin' in the dirt about 15' behind him. He said the 2d shot landed kinda high.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Envious of you guys with the big back yards..My max range is 200 or else cut a swath through 5 acres of hardwood timber to shoot farther!..

Our deer opener in two weeks will be a 45 kinda outing this year. We have both Mules and WT's on our ranch so the 45/110 Sharps will be out high over looking some wooded canyons,the 86 Win 45/90 will be in the box blind bordering the wetlands along the Loop River. The new 66 Yellow Boy in 45 LC will sport a new 300 gr cast offering over a charge of BH-209 and go with to my ladder bow stand in the heavy timber.

I'll be at deer camp the entire season with several tags so not in a hurry to DRT anything. grin

[Linked Image]

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Reading this makes me feel terribly inadequate. CB shorts are pathetic.

Woody, who made those moulds?

And by the way, I know a fella that was working on an 8 bore double rifle and that sucker was and is a hummer. He was getting groups in the 3-4" range @ 100 yds offhand while shooting both barrels. Then he lost his mind and cocked both barrels at the same time.

It doubled. He said the sky turned purple. Other than a lot of pain, the first recollection he had after the shot was his buddy asking if he was OK. The gun was layin' in the dirt about 15' behind him. He said the 2d shot landed kinda high.

Dan both moulds are from "Accurate" The PP is #45-530P and the big greaser is 46-540X

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks, look to be very well constructed.

Still awaiting my .45-70 boomer....and fiddlin' around with my .25-20 SS Stevens. I like that one I do. Good shooter most days, not nearly so rambunctious as some of the others.

All y'all let me know when you want to talk sissy guns. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, look to be very well constructed.

Still awaiting my .45-70 boomer....and fiddlin' around with my .25-20 SS Stevens. I like that one I do. Good shooter most days, not nearly so rambunctious as some of the others.

All y'all let me know when you want to talk sissy guns. laugh

I've got my eye on an original sweet 1905 Roller with nice finish and timber all intact but it got Bubba'd to a 308 !! cry Thinking about pulling the plastic trigger and of course a re-barrel..any suggestions besides a 45/70 ??

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, the .38-55 is gaining some respect in my book, but they shoot 350 gr bullets. Is that cheatin'?

Sad to say I'm not well versed in BP guns or cartridges and am simple minded for the most part. Common styles yes, the esoteric versions are still a mystery.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, the .38-55 is gaining some respect in my book, but they shoot 350 gr bullets. Is that cheatin'?

Sad to say I'm not well versed in BP guns or cartridges and am simple minded for the most part. Common styles yes, the esoteric versions are still a mystery.

Should I pull the trigger on this I've been leaning in the direction of the 40-65 but your 38-55 do sound interesting..Either should be a decent choice and good cast bullet shooter...BTW 350 grs is marginally acceptable. grin

Woody
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
...All y'all let me know when you want to talk sissy guns. laugh

Is a .32-20 too manly to talk about when discussing sissy guns?

grin

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My definition of a sissy gun: You can put the buttplate on your chin, jerk the trigger on a live round and still chew bubble gum afterwards. .32-20 might do that with a heavy gun?

No fair clenching your jaw either.

I am..........disturbed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A Marlin 1894 with a 20" barrel & half magazine isn't exactly a fly-weight rifle. I don't think I'd have to clench my jaw.

I could also be wrong...

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Marlin 1894 with a 20" barrel & half magazine isn't exactly a fly-weight rifle.

I have a cousin that has one of those with a full length magazine. Yours have the octagonal barrel?

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Woody--Get the 40-65. You'll thank me later.

K
Kurt71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Well Gunner it's November and I still don't see any blood!!!:)

Kurt

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anyone here ever have experience with the .297-250 Rook?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not exactly. There is a .300 Rook here, and loads made up for it. Hopefully in the next couple weekends I'll be able to try it. It was made by Alex Davidson in the 1880's

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cool piece there, do give us a report.

Awhile back I had an old English piece in the .297-250 originally, but the bore was shot and the previous owner lined in with a .25-20 chamber. Tried all get out to find someone that would reline it and chamber it properly, but no go. Sold it and moved on.

Made by John Blanch in '85.

I am..........disturbed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by milespatton
A Marlin 1894 with a 20" barrel & half magazine isn't exactly a fly-weight rifle.

I have a cousin that has one of those with a full length magazine. Yours have the octagonal barrel?

Nope, full round barrel on mine.

Ed

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Well Gunner it's November and I still don't see any blood!!!:)

Kurt

LOL, season doesn't open till the 19th.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
But opens on the 12th over in Arkansas, will be perched on the edge of a clearcut, 40-65 Sharps and a set of sticks at the ready, buck or doe, somethings gonna get hammered! cool

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Not exactly. There is a .300 Rook here, and loads made up for it. Hopefully in the next couple weekends I'll be able to try it. It was made by Alex Davidson in the 1880's

Patrick, I just read a thread on another forum about a fellow getting a new (to him) Cadet in .310 Martini. He was directed to BACO for the proper cast bullets for his rifle and other Rook cartridges.

Thought I might enable you a bit... grin

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I were to load paperpatch w/BP in the .416 Rigby would it be appropriate for this forum?

I am..........disturbed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Hmmm, let me see...centerfire cartridge, black powder propellant, paperpatched lead bullet.

Yup.

Would it be appropriate for BPCR competition? Nope.

But we can talk about any thing we want here, just as long as the Holy Black is the propellant of choice.

In fact, I think we ought to talk about 16" Naval guns. Yes, it's a duplex charge, but what a BP priming charge! grin

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That 16" buffalo gun is a jewel. Never saw a bunker they couldn't bust and quite a few they did.

I am..........disturbed.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That 16" buffalo gun is a jewel. Never saw a bunker they couldn't bust and quite a few they did.

Not to mention they do it at 16+ NM. grin

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think we ought to talk about 16" Naval guns. Yes, it's a duplex charge, but what a BP priming charge! grin

Have you ever SEEN the BP they used,....Man, ..talk about "pellets"

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I were to load paperpatch w/BP in the .416 Rigby would it be appropriate for this forum?

we have reduced the 375 ouchnouch to the 38-96 belted botteleneck express in this part of the world. laugh

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
.38-96? That's so weird it is somehow perfectly congruent with affairs today.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mmmm...a 475-500-110 is already here, though I have only shot white powder in it...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yer a heretic.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does heretic, mean your prom date was your mom's baby sister?

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yer a heretic.

yeah, but an accurate one grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Man I HATE shooting those things off of a bench !

Kudos on your fortitude

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's fairly energetic, though not ridiculous. Kicks way less than Gunner's .577 smirk

It also weighs 9lbs 2 oz as shown, with scope & mounts. crazy

The .475 Turnbull is a the .50-110 necked to .475. Case capacity is about 5% less than a .458 mag. So basically it's a 9 lb .470 Nitro grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tex, you can make and honest cartridge out of that with Lord Black. grin

Ranch, I dunno. I'm not into genealogy and stuff like that.

[Linked Image]

Loaded some rounds yesterday and day before. Emptied a bottle of Swiss 1.5 in the process. I know why the old mountain men were so tuff. I can put 50 rounds of Hornet in my pocket and not hardly know it's there. 50 rounds of BPCR ammo...it's a different story. Need a belt AND suspenders to keep my pants up. 100 rounds loaded...I need a farkin' horse.

Or a mule.

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My 'overlook' of Kansas:

[Linked Image]Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

In three more weeks Lord willing I'll be there!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Where's the targets???

I am..........disturbed.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
they are on top of that farthest hill.
You can't see them?

Just kidin.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, you're talking about direct fire targets.

Was wondering which zip code actually.

laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,408
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.