Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
When someone describes something they are selling as "New in Box", what would you expect to receive if you purchased this item?

I would expect the new product to be new in its original box, with all the accessories and paperwork included, as they came from the factory. Am I wrong for thinking this?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, spot on.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I agree with you, but have seen the "new in box" stretched pretty far in some of the classifieds here. Way past anything I'd consider as "NIB".

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MikeL2
I agree with you, but have seen the "new in box" stretched pretty far in some of the classifieds here. Way past anything I'd consider as "NIB".

I agree 100%, I don't see why folks can't say "Like New" and be descriptive in why it's not "New".

I'm not going to rip anyone yet, I have given him the option to make it right.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You bring up a good point. To me NIB is more about the gun but includes the original box. Missing manuals etc. should be stated. Good pictures usually tell everything. Also it's best to ask questions when buying. There should be no surprises if the seller is honest.

I'm amazed tho how some sellers can be blind when it comes to seeing rust or rust damage on a gun, even when asked.....

Dennis.

Those who call magazines "clips" and cartridges "bullets" ought not to be taken seriously. Jeff Cooper.
We might add those who call bullets "boolits.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DennisB
You bring up a good point. To me NIB is more about the gun but includes the original box. Missing manuals etc. should be stated. Good pictures usually tell everything. Also it's best to ask questions when buying. There should be no surprises if the seller is honest.

I'm amazed tho how some sellers can be blind when it comes to seeing rust or rust damage on a gun, even when asked.....

Dennis.

I agree, this is a scope deal, but the same principle stands. I try to be as descriptive as I can and post plenty of pics. I can say that I have never had an individual tell me that they were disappointed in anything I have sold here.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
New in the box should be ---in a sealed box with everything inside.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A northwest firearms site recently listed:

........."NIB (only fired 10 times)"

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by teach64
A northwest firearms site recently listed:

........."NIB (only fired 10 times)"

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by dugaboy

No, because just opening the box/package does not make it used. To be considered NIB, it should be unfired, with NO wear or tear, and include all original factory accessories in the original factory packaging, open or not. A scope should be flawless, never having been mounted on a gun, regardless of whether any rounds were ever fired, with all original factory accessories in the original factory packaging.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slickyboyboo

I would expect the new product to be new in its original box, with all the accessories and paperwork included, as they came from the factory. Am I wrong for thinking this?

No, you are not wrong and this is what one could reasonably expect.

Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by dugaboy

No, because just opening the box/package does not make it used. To be considered NIB, it should be unfired, with NO wear or tear, and include all original factory accessories in the original factory packaging, open or not. A scope should be flawless, never having been mounted on a gun, regardless of whether any rounds were ever fired, with all original factory accessories in the original factory packaging.

I think HilhamHawk is correct. If I received something represented to be "New in Box" and the original purchaser had removed cellophane or other wrap and inventoried or even ogled the item, I believe the New in Box representation would be correct.

If someone sent me something they described "as new" in box or "like new" in box, I don't believe they mean it to be "new in box". Those two descriptions often have people claiming foul when it is not indeed brand new. I believe wrongfully so.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I hate ebay but they created two subcategories for "new" a few years back and I like how it's protected buyers from buying items described as "new-in-box", when they're actually out of the box, returns, exchanges etc. Something can be "new-unused" and still not be "new in box". New, unused, with original box included sounds like what the OP purchased.

From ebay:

New

A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details.

New other (see details)

A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, or in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may be a factory second or a new, unused item with defects. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Last edited by InternetGuru; 08/26/16.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Big differance between New in Box and like new with box....

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
When someone describes something they are selling as "New in Box", what would you expect to receive if you purchased this item?

No - I'd read it the same.

I'm less concerned about the box being opened, but I'd expect everything to be present that came with the item in the box.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
New-in-box can have any external cellophane wrap removed and discarded for inspecting and photographing item. On a scope, this does not include putting ring marks on it. smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AH64guy

No - I'd read it the same.

I'm less concerned about the box being opened, but I'd expect everything to be present that came with the item in the box.

Exactly my thoughts!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In for the "rest of the story" grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is Safariman back?

Did I miss something? laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Is Safariman back?

Did I miss something? laugh

No. He would have described it as "one of a kind", or "better than new".

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
New in box should be being sold by an FFL. Once it is sold to an individual whether fired or not, the best you can get is as new in box.Just my thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 24 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.