Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
first of all where is all the public hunting land in texas? I grew up there and knew of NONE unless it was around the many lakes in the area mainly used for picnicking and lake activities.

That's where a lot of it is, but there's over 600,000 acres of it.
As much as western states? Obviously not. But the four NFs hold some big deer.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Fort Campbell KY is just 20miles up the highway. $50 will give you access to 100,000 acres but you have to phone in a requested area 2 days prior. But good luck...that BS about "wahhhhhhhhhh, kids dont hunt anymore, wahhh we hunters are our own worst enemies" complete BS, there are so many GD people competing for slots that it's like calling a friggin radio station to win cash. Then if you get a good area, you have deal with "Mr Walk Around All Day Elmer Fudd" who hunts deer like a 3 legged beagle would hunt rabbits.

Fugg paying for a lease, have the greasy slugs hunting over your trophy rock or in your stands on days youre not able to be on the lease.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 280shooter
I hunt private ranches free.

"Ahem"... pardon me fer asking.....

Do they know? grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by 280shooter
I hunt private ranches free.

"Ahem"... pardon me fer asking.....

Do they know? grin

When I was teenager, they called that "hunting in the Long Pasture"... laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I like the lease aspect of Texas -- you KNOW the people allowed to be on the property. Zero patience with someone tagging my deer, making brush shoots, taking your stand/cameras/etc. or sitting in "your" blind. All the freedom goes out the window for me when I get shot by a city slicker I have no clue is around (since getting in place before the sun comes up.)

For those familiar with the West and what to do about other potential hunters being around, I can't imagine being okay with paying a dime.

2 cents

Last edited by agazain; 08/26/16.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have done both. I started out hunting on land my dad owned. He sold it and we were in a lease. The people that owned the lease died after 17 years and I have hunted on either public land or friends land since. I have never been short of deer to eat either way. or squirrels.
My best fiend who I hunt on now doesn't charge me anything but it isn't free. I do work that friends do when they get a gift. I'm fortunate that we have places that are public to hunt in Arkansas. Or I could drive 25 to 50 miles north and hunt in Missouri and there is loads of public land that has game.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hunt all three. Cousin has a hundred or so acre piece that he farms out and has more than a few Deer and a couple better than average have been showing up this year. Have my own small piece of 56acres that I rarely hunt, but leave it open. Hunted a 1200acre piece that was open ground for around 30years. Then it became leased and I signed on. Last year it was sold to an out of state fellow for $1.2million and that was it. I really miss it, but you move on. Also, hunt Pa's large amount of public land out of a couple friends camps or even North Country motels after the first couple days. Last year fooled around with a hog Buck on State GL's for a week, but couldn't get it done. He was still around the next to last day of the season; shortly will try and see if he is still there.

Will hunt the first couple days with my Cousin then switch it around between his place and public.

Last edited by battue; 08/26/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thankfully I have always lived in free enough America that I have never paid to hunt anything outside of license and tags.
Folks that have private land here either let you hunt, or they don't, I have never been ask to pay.

Shot plenty of birds and game on private and public land.

They day I have to pay to shoot a deer, will be the last day I hunt them.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Way too many people miss the point of a lease

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
Hunt all three.

Yep, same here.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My father paid $ 40 in 1954 for and acre of land to build a camp on. This included hunting and wood cutting rights on remaining 100+ acres. Nearby is 1000's of acres of hunting in both NY and VT. No guest in my camp has ever paid one cent to hunt these 1000's of acres. And never will. Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pheasant and grouse I hunt 99% on private. Find a few empty shotgun shells from sneaky Pete but for the most part it is a private utopia of birds.

Mule deer 100% on public or private that is open to all (legal)public. Have shot a few decent bucks on (private....)private and yes, it really is easier and better hunting....

Whitetail is pretty much the same deal.

It takes a fair bit of luck to find a nice buck on 'public' land around here but it can be done.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SKane
Hunt all three.

Yep, same here.

And none of it is free. Some just costs less. grin Add up gas, food, motels, taxes, clothes and all the rest and there are few that don't pay to hunt Deer. A lease is just another bag on the Queen Mary.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Find a few empty shotgun shells from sneaky Pete....

I used to know Pete, when I was young and could run fast enough to keep up with him...

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Hunt all three.

Yep, same here.

And none of it is free. Some just costs less. grin Add up gas, food, motels, taxes, clothes and all the rest and there are few that don't pay to hunt Deer. A lease is just another bag on the Queen Mary.

+1!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Find a few empty shotgun shells from sneaky Pete....

I used to know Pete, when I was young and could run fast enough to keep up with him...

He must have moved out West from here. He was fairly quick then also....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty sure I still shoot a few birds with him every Fall.

He's got the 'swing your leg over barbwire fence crossing' down pat.....grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Pete used to always want to hunt posted land "Cause hunting there's the best" he'd say. I'd ask: "What if they call the game warden?"

Pete would reply: "He'll have to run to catch me, and no game warden in the county can keep up. Plus, he'll catch you first,"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've never paid to hunt anything and won't. Just way too much State land in my immediate area here {287,000 acres of it in the Catskill park} to even think of it, plus I have permission to hunt several parcels of private.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I had one Pete try to throw me off my own little piece up in the country. I saw him walk on and just for fun asked him if he had permission. He replied, yes in that he knew the person who owned it and he knew all that had permission and perhaps I should leave. I had more fun with him for a bit and finally said, well I own it and if you want proof we can call the police and settle it. He got a little sheepish and said, OK, I'll leave. I said no you don't have to, enjoy your hunt and told him where I would be hanging out.

He may have even asked me if I had permission. It has been a long time ago, but it still was a good laugh.

Last edited by battue; 08/26/16.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

352 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 16penny, 10ring1, 257_X_50, 54 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.