Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I see all the threads on new trucks and I drive through the car lots and nothing produced interests me.
I have a couple of pick ups but my most used and loved one is my 1996 Chevy K3500, single rear wheel, crew cab, long bed, 454, 5 speed, looks like hell, and I love it, it does what I need, the fuel mileage is in double digits, and it pulls like a mule, my biggest complaint is the gear ratio, the 4.56 rear puts the truck at 3500 RPM at 70 mph, nothing produced can compare to this pickup.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Buying a new pickup is a personal thing. If you are pulling trailers over lots of miles and at weird times of the day or night and don't like getting caught out in the middle of no where broke down then it might be time to upgrade. Or if you have money burning a hole in your pocket. Then there is the image thing trying to impress the neighbors. if you really like that PU change the gear ratios and keep driving it.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Keep the old one and not unlike a pet, you'll know when the time is right to bring a new one home. Be prepared for a shock to the senses when you do.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Going through the same decision process for a new SUV.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
...I love it, it does what I need, the fuel mileage is in double digits....my biggest complaint is the gear ratio, the 4.56 rear....

New ring and pinion and think about your next truck for a couple more years.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
New? As in brand new?

Never. Let someone else take the depreciation in the pants.

Used or lease return? When ever your old one cant do the job.

Even with that 454 burning all the gas it does, it wont compare to the cost of all that fancy insurance, registration, interest, and depreciation.

Folks also talk about being nickled and dimed to death with repairs.

Ha! Nothing like the nickles and dimes a dealership or a bank will charge!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
$630 today for brakes, rotors, bearings, air filter, and misc small items on my 99 Dodge. Before that, no payments for the last few years. Makes repairs more practical if you think about the money that goes out every single month with a new truck.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As long as I have faith that it won't stick me 100+ miles from town with a break down, I'll keep driving it. An 04 crew cab 4-wheel drive manual 6-speed 350 diesel.

1Minute
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When my son couldn't find one used for the money he had to spend. He got mine and I got new. 2003 Chevy Duramax. Great truck. Bone stock the 12 years I ran it. Not so much now. He loves it and I like my new Chevy.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[Linked Image]

My old 454

My newer 2003 6.0
[Linked Image]

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
If you can write them off as a business expense, then your tax man will tell you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
at about 350,000miles

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Spend $600 or $700 bucks and retool...

Link

Beats hell out of dropping what they want today on an new truck, unless you can write it off.

And if you've got to have it both ways, Gear Vendors here use to have an aux gear box for 1 ton trucks with 3 and 4 speed auto trans, though that would set you back about another $2,800.

Link

Phil

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
$630 today for brakes, rotors, bearings, air filter, and misc small items on my 99 Dodge. Before that, no payments for the last few years. Makes repairs more practical if you think about the money that goes out every single month with a new truck.

You spent probably a payment to a payment and a half. You can almost always come out financially fixing up an old vehicle as opposed to getting a new one. You have to engage in some serious rationalization and self delusion as to why you "need" a new one.

Trucks are for hauling and pulling crap. That's it. Anyone who has one that works would be kinda crazy to let it go. The new ones get better mileage but you will never come out on that....see Jim Conrad's post.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Looking at the cost of new trucks?

Never.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You can write off anything: UNtil the AUDIT< Then you'll have some "SPAINING to do !!!

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had a 98 GMC with 454 and a 5 speed that I dearly loved. Still looked pretty good, ran great and gas mileage was better than average. I had 217,000 miles on it and going strong. The 5 speed lost the seal between it and the transfer case and slung its oil out. It cost a total of $3800 to replace it with a rebuilt 5 speed. 32 days latter, the rebuilt 5 speed shelled out on me, the shop had put the wrong oil in it. It took them 3 weeks to get another rebuilt. No charge to me. That 5 speed last 13 months, just out of warranty. I couldn’t see putting another $4000 dollars in it, so I sold it as is, and bought my F250 SD with the 6.7L. Still miss that old truck, but the 6.7 pulls better than the 454 did with less fuel so I'm pleased.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
New? As in brand new?

Never. Let someone else take the depreciation in the pants.

Used or lease return? When ever your old one cant do the job.

Even with that 454 burning all the gas it does, it wont compare to the cost of all that fancy insurance, registration, interest, and depreciation.

Folks also talk about being nickled and dimed to death with repairs.

Ha! Nothing like the nickles and dimes a dealership or a bank will charge!

That depreciation thing doesn't seem to work with the Dealers around these parts. The price difference between New and 2 years old is so close, you might as well go New. Especially if you can take advantage of a sweet finance deal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY
That depreciation thing doesn't seem to work with the Dealers around these parts. The price difference between New and 2 years old is so close, you might as well go New. Especially if you can take advantage of a sweet finance deal.

I agree, don't know how they are even selling trucks a couple years old for what they're asking and the incentives and 0% on new trucks.

I've got a like new '07 2500 Cummins in my garage that only gets used to haul the boat or camper (paid for).

Otherwise I drive a 16 year old jeep that is in excellent condition and have a beater hunting/fishing truck that is starting to see the end of it's years.

Been debating about selling the jeep and beater and getting a 1/2 ton, but can't stand the thought of a payment. Don't know how people can fathom the idea of paying 600, 800, even a 1000.00 a month vehicle payment.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got my last 2 after I retired. Only had 1 in my life before that and it was before I got married.

I got a Toyota Tacoma on the first one and really liked it, but then got a camper and needed a bigger truck to pull it, so got a Tundra. Between the trade in and the paid price, I got the new one for about what I had figured in my head before going to the dealer. I did research online about prices, and asked here and other places, so had an idea about what to look for. I am retired and could afford a new one now, when I could never make it work out in my mind before. I am taking a lot of long trips (to me) and did not want any breakdowns. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,475
Posts18,471,521
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.