Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Valued at 100 grand if restored?? I smell a rat...only 10 k...humm
Why would you restore it..wouldn't you want every battle scar..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought it might be a 7 X 57 of his!

Well it is a double rifle.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Once when I was in a collectors firearms store, a beautiful Pre '64 M70 in my hands the clerk said "this rifle once belonged to the actor Clark Gable". Does that effect the price I said as I handed it back to him. I feel the same way about any celebrity's rumored property.
I wonder how much an autographed piece of paper would be worth?

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Thought Bell used a bolt action .318?

Also,isn't the ammo for the .318, a 250 gr bullet?

Last edited by elkhunternm; 08/30/16.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I thought it was a 215 gr. bullet....

No matter, the 180 grainer, especially for a man who like " Long parallel sided bullets" raises a little red flag...

That plus the seller didn't know how to spell 'provenance'...

Last edited by ingwe; 08/30/16.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe

No matter, the 180 grainer, especially for a man who like " Long parallel sided bullets" raises a little red flag...

Don't be too hard on him Ingwe, he does know how to spell 'bullshit'.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
From the link:

This is the famous double rifle used by W.D.M.Bell on his 1912 safari. It is written um in Wanderings of an Elepahnt hunter as his 318 Westley Richards.

I have my copy of "Wanderings" to hand. In Chapter IX, Bell tells of his hunting in Liberia in 1911. "Here I landed with my little camp outfit and a decent battery, comprising a .318 Mauser and a .22 rook rifle."

More references to the .318 Mauser follow. The next chapters concern his hunting along the Bahr Aouk river between modern Chad and the CAR. "I had a .318 and a .22." One could suppose that the Bahr Aouk hunt took place directly after Liberia, but I don't see a date in my quick scan of the pages.

Bell recounts having double rifles in calibers above .40 in Africa, but says that he seldom used them after discovering the usefulness of, first, the .256, then the .275 (he sometimes called it a .276) and then the .318; all in bolt actions.

Bell may have once owned a .318 double, but I don't see a reference to it in "Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter." Maybe a closer reading could find it.

Bell didn't fully explain in his books a lot of what he did. In chapter XIII of "Wanderings" on "Buffalo", he wrote: "On one occasion when in want of meat I hit a cow buffalo in the lungs with a .22 high-velocity bullet."

Was it a Swift? He doesn't say. Doesn't say when he did it, either.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If he has a letter from Thomas Bland and Sons that shows WDM Bell took delivery of this rifle, then it's likely good. The old English gunmakers kept very good records. When W. J. Jeffery's was acquired by Holland and Holland, I asked H & H to research my Jeffery's. Not only did they oblige, but they produced the orginaly build ledger complete with the craftman's signature and gave me a copy of it. If they have something similar for the Bland, I'd be good with it.

The "$100k if restored" statement I'm sure was just a casual observation, as in "if this gun were built new today it would be a $100k gun". That's a bit inflated, but the price of H & H Royals and Purdy's aren't that far off.

On the other hand, $10k for ANY classic English double rifle in an over .30 caliber is a good price.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by ingwe

Think the 215 gr was used in the .303 British.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.318_Westley_Richards

Be damned,there was a 180 gr load for the .318.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
318 from the Kynoch site:

318 Rimless Nitro Express

Developed by Westley Richards around 1910 for use in their Mauser type bolt action rifles this has been and still is a very popular round for use against non-dangerous game.

180gr2700 fps
250gr@ 2400 fps.
-------------------------
It is a rimless cartridge, so it would be unusual. Thomas Bland & Son no longer exist, but their records are kept by Woodcock Hill. They are on the net.

Also, a bespoke Holland or Purdy (sidelock) will run north of 200K...and quite a long waiting list.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jorge I beat me to it, I owned a 318 W-R and 180 and 250 gr .330 dia bullets are what you use, its pretty much a hand loading deal now! At the time I thought it would be kind of cool to shoot and hunt with, that was short lived, you can get the same thing pretty much out of a 338-06, I just when back to my 338 winchester, less of a problem with finding or making ammo!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Woodleigh makes a 250 gr .330" soft and solid for the .318 WR.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Buyer beware...I'd like to see the letter of provenance.

180 grain bullet would be the proper "express" loading of that cartridge.

10k is a little over-priced for that rifle without provenance. With solid provenance, 10k is comfortably under-value for that rifle.

So since it seems to fall somewhere in the middle, it makes me wonder about how solid the provenance is.

Always buy the gun, not the story.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If indeed its Bell's rifle and regulated for the 180 Express loading, its highly doubtful it ever got used on elephant....would make a good meat gathering rifle, and he did plenty of that.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The provenance would be something very easy to verify by serial number and Bland's records that are readily available as I posted above. That said, according to the seller there is a letter with a supposedly very clear trail, that and the fact Taylor's RIDICULOUS idea of ejectors making noise so he had them disconnected in his doubles lends credence.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bell didn't have a lot of love for doubles.
he complained of dirt and dust getting into them and vegetation preventing them from being snapped shut.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Those Brits know how to put a double together, don't they?

Beautiful.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Seems to now be sold or removed...

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I remember in one of Bell's books him talking about a 318 double that he discontinued using because it would split cases. Turns out later, when checked, one of the chambers was oversize.

I could totally be misremembering though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,571 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,289
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.