-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is hard to believe what boat-paddle Rugers are going for these days.

Got my first, a NIB .300WM on closeout for $395 at Sportsman's Warehouse, December,2004.

Got my second, a used stainless .30-06 for $480 in April of 2010. That one came in a laminate stock which I replaced with a boat paddle for around $75.

The third was a semi-custom stainless .338WM built from Ruger parts, including a 22" fluted stainless barrel acquired from Cariboujack here at 24hour). At last count, including gunsmithing and scope, I had $1010 invested in it. Had the parts assembled in August of 2010.

At the last couple of Denver gun shows I've seen a lot of used boat paddle rifles for sale but the prices are higher than a new Ruger. I keep looking for another boat paddle stock in original condition but for the time being the prices are higher than I'm willing to go. I'll keep looking, though.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
It is hard to believe what boat-paddle Rugers are going for these days.

Got my first, a NIB .300WM on closeout for $395 at Sportsman's Warehouse, December,2004.

Got my second, a used stainless .30-06 for $480 in April of 2010. That one came in a laminate stock which I replaced with a boat paddle for around $75.

The third was a semi-custom stainless .338WM built from Ruger parts, including a 22" fluted stainless barrel acquired from Cariboujack here at 24hour). At last count, including gunsmithing and scope, I had $1010 invested in it. Had the parts assembled in August of 2010.

At the last couple of Denver gun shows I've seen a lot of used boat paddle rifles for sale but the prices are higher than a new Ruger. I keep looking for another boat paddle stock in original condition but for the time being the prices are higher than I'm willing to go. I'll keep looking, though.

They used to sell for $350.00 here brand new...That was a few years ago though.. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm off to the range tomorrow too see how these 180gr partitions shoot out the 06 I picked up from BSA for my upcoming moose hunt to Alaska.. Trying out rl22 with federal 210 primer.. I'm hoping to get a chance at nice Brn bear as well.. Don't worry my daughter will be backing me up with her 270 Winchester 😁

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Good luck 79s. Young son and I were at the range Friday. He's got a nice old custom Springfield 06. Man he had it singing with the 180's! And I got a full box of partitions. I'm loading him some more! I need to get a pic of that Springfield! It's a handsome rifle!

I think he's taking his old Husquvarna .270 along too! For a "just in case" rifle! wink

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking about taking my old pre-64 '06 with me this year. I haven't hunted elk with it in about 25 or 26 years, and I am feeling ashamed for having ignored it for so long. smile

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ben, that rifle needs a little love! Take it out for a date! wink

Founder

WS

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Good luck 79s. Young son and I were at the range Friday. He's got a nice old custom Springfield 06. Man he had it singing with the 180's! And I got a full box of partitions. I'm loading him some more! I need to get a pic of that Springfield! It's a handsome rifle!

I think he's taking his old Husquvarna .270 along too! For a "just in case" rifle! wink

Thanks and good luck to you on your upcoming season as well! For elk I'm going to use my 270 loaded with accubonds

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I'm off to the range tomorrow too see how these 180gr partitions shoot out the 06 I picked up from BSA for my upcoming moose hunt to Alaska.. Trying out rl22 with federal 210 primer.. I'm hoping to get a chance at nice Brn bear as well.. Don't worry my daughter will be backing me up with her 270 Winchester 😁

That 06 is a damn sweetheart buddy. Was one of my favorites, kind of like the one I sold to EricM. Those 2 30-06 rifles just want to please. I know you'll easily find a great load that it shoots sub moa. I know it's sacrilege, but I don't believe I ever fired any 180gr. partitions through it. It doted on 165's, however, I bet it will shoot 180's and 200's lights out. Keep me posted buddy and good luck with your hunt.. Oh yeah, I'm also glad your daughter is still loving that 270. She still running those 140gr. Hornady interlocks?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mudhen
Thinking about taking my old pre-64 '06 with me this year. I haven't hunted elk with it in about 25 or 26 years, and I am feeling ashamed for having ignored it for so long. smile

eek sick

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

That 06 is a damn sweetheart buddy. Was one of my favorites, kind of like the one I sold to EricM. Those 2 30-06 rifles just want to please. I know you'll easily find a great load that it shoots sub moa. I know it's sacrilege, but I don't believe I ever fired any 180gr. partitions through it. It doted on 165's, however, I bet it will shoot 180's and 200's lights out. Keep me posted buddy and good luck with your hunt.. Oh yeah, I'm also glad your daughter is still loving that 270. She still running those 140gr. Hornady interlocks?

Here she is with a 5 shot group.. I love leupolds but those damn friction adjustments kind of suck lol

[Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, friction adjustmets suck. The reason I got rid of many old redfields and leupolds. Looks like the old rifle still shoots good. The moose are going to be in trouble...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In good hands, the 06 is more than suitable.

1Minute
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Yeah, friction adjustmets suck. The reason I got rid of many old redfields and leupolds. Looks like the old rifle still shoots good. The moose are going to be in trouble...

I hope to find a Brn bear to shoot that would be the tits

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hunters become sentimentally attached to their favorite cartridge. To justify their sentimentality, they'll look for reasons to dislike other cartridges that'll so the same thing: kill big game.

The '06 impresses the hell outta me.

When I was a youngen and getting in the huntin' business, the '06 was thought to be too much gun for a whippersnapper. I was told to go the .270 Win route, a cartridge that wouldn't knock a youngen 'round 'bout his noggin. So I did. I have gratitude for those who had steered me in that direction. Most of the older folk who hunted with us used Remington's then pretty new Big 7, the 7MM Rem Mag, because they were grown men who could handle the recoil of such a manly cartridge.

Some 30 years ago I bought a Sako 7MM Rem Mag because I wanted to get serious about elk huntin'...and because I got a fantastic deal on an AV. Make no mistake, the 7MM Rem Mag is all that and a whole lot more. But what the hell does that mean? I do know that it ain't gonna kill anything deader than an '06.

If I had wisdom way back yonder, I'd of bought me a .280 Rem and would've never needed another big game rifle for all North American big game. But I didn't know then what I know now, or something similar. But then again, the '06 would've done me just as good. And the reality is the .308 Win is the de facto equal of the '06. I have yet to see anyone hunt the Rockies with 220 grain '06 bullets.

The '06 has done everything that can be done with a rifle cartridge, including kill elephants. It's the primary cartridge of Eskimos when they gotta or wanna kill Nanook.

I can do everything that I want done with my 40+ year-old Model 700 in .270 Win. It will kill big elk & moose just as dead as those not-yet-but-will-assuredly-become-obsolete mega magnums if I do my job, which is to put bullets where they need to go. An elk ain't gonna know whether a .270 Win or a 300 RUM stopped its topside oxygenated blood flow. All it's gonna know is that it's dead. But you ain't gotta believe me. Ask Mr. Heinz Naef how those non-impressive cartridges work on HUGE moose.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
This Husqvarna 640 arrived at the dealer yesterday. Young son ordered it last week. Tis a 30/06! He is real happy! Loves the open sights. hell even I can see em!

[Linked Image]

Named "Bullwinkle"!

I bet it goes with us to Colorado in a few weeks! wink. Along with his other 06.

Founder

WS

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
One of the guys who hunts with us hit an cow elk with his Ford F-250 Super Duty.

I bagged a large Cottontail with my F250 this morning. Terminal destruction was immediate.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love them huskys.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I love them huskys.

Here's a Husky story.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8948791/1

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
This Husqvarna 640 arrived at the dealer yesterday. Young son ordered it last week. Tis a 30/06! He is real happy! Loves the open sights. hell even I can see em!

[Linked Image]

Named "Bullwinkle"!

I bet it goes with us to Colorado in a few weeks! wink. Along with his other 06.

Those Husky's are great old rifles..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
One of the guys who hunts with us hit an cow elk with his Ford F-250 Super Duty.

I bagged a large Cottontail with my F250 this morning. Terminal destruction was immediate.

Was the "terminal destruction" to the truck or the rabbit? smile

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 72 invisible), 3,304 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,815
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.