Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Newbie question here...

Just got my portable blind in today and set it up on the back deck. Seems like it will (hopefully) work great for both my antelope hunt and deer.

Does anyone actually shoot through the mesh? At what range will it affect flight? It seems like having it up gives me better cover from sharp eyes but maybe it's not really needed? With three windows open it seems pretty easy to see inside, but if it will play hell with my arrows clearly the point is moot.

I can only get about 15 yds in my backyard so not a really definitive test for antelope and I don't want to slice up my mesh if I don't have to. Just wondering if anyone has done some tests shooting through this stuff.

Thanks.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
They work fine if you keep them tight. I've even shot through the nylon side walls a couple times by accident and hit where I was aiming out to 40 yards. Damn upside down triangular windows...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find it difficult to place the pin on the target when shooting through the mesh. I have the windows so that I can quietly and quickly create a small opening. Just make sure that is no back light and you will be good.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Shooting through the mesh is pretty common around here, especially in the Spring turkey season. I've tried it, and it worked out to 20-25 yards for a softball sized target. A hunting associate has killed two turkeys, one was in the past season, by shooting through the wall of his blind under the window. His pins and line of sight were clear, the arrow was not.

I'm with Fair Chase, my eyes do better without anything between me and the target. If you wear dark colors, and wear a face mask or a dark hat to shadow you face, you'll probably be fine with a small window open.

I'd rather get a window hole open without shooting through the mesh, but a few things I have observed:

Broadheads need to be razor/laser sharp, a blade will drag if it's not as sharp as the others. This can cause you arrow to wobble as it passes through. I tried Montec G-5s and SlickTricks, and stayed with the Slick Tricks. I'm not good enough to put the same edge on all of the Montec blades.

Paper tune your arrows, and your broadhead setup.

If you have any tuning issues, the mesh will magnify the problem quite a bit. An arrow that is not launching pretty much 100% deadcenter will be pretty wobbly early in the flight.

Align your vanes and broadhead vanes if you can. Good idea for all broadhead tuning, but seems to help if the vanes are following pretty much the same path through as the blades are cutting.

Last edited by AH64guy; 09/01/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not me - I've tried it and some shots will go where they are supposed to and others really flip - So I took the mesh out of my blind. I just keep the windows on the back closed so it is a dark hole and the game can not see you inside.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have the mesh and replacement mesh for my original Double Bull blind (pre-Primos), but never did shoot thru the mesh.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not tried it personally, but Cookie does a lot of photo stuff with pronghorn, blinds, and fence post length lenses. With open windows she gets by with a ton of activity as long as there's no straight through path for light. I.e. keep the back or the opposing sides closed. If not have the open ports offset.

With my limited archery experience, I'd think a stabilized arrow should do fine. Close in, if there's any wiggle, might be crap shoot.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/03/16.

1Minute
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have shot half dozen deer through mesh. I used FIXED broadheads. It worked great. They all were 20 yards or less.

NRA Patron

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

170 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.