Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Spent a day with family members yesterday. Through the course of the visit my mother went round the room asking for everyone's "Bucket list". To no surprise of the others in the room,mine was hunting based. For me it's pretty simple. Moose! The Alaskan / Youkon variety. What should have happened before this has been moved to bucket list status. Life,living,raising kids,and now college. So,now my brass ring is a full blown Alaskan moose hunt.

So,anyone else harboring a dream hunt on the old "Bucket list"?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mine was a Dall Sheep hunt. Our youngest graduated college and I finally went last year. Which was a good thing because this year my bum ankle might not have been up to it.

Don't delay!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doing mine( God willing) in about a month. Solo backpack hunting trip for mule deer. In a few years my bucket list will be the same trip with both my boys who will be old enough to go then.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by smokepole
Mine was a Dall Sheep hunt. Our youngest graduated college and I finally went last year. Which was a good thing because this year my bum ankle might not have been up to it.

Don't delay!

This!

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Grizzly bear in Alaska, BC or the Yukon. I want to hunt other animals but griz more than any other.

Semper Fi
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Cape Buffalo. Going in this year. Daughter going with. She is very excited. She is going to hunt Sable. We will see what else steps out?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did Dall sheep in the Yukon in 2013 at age 59. Going back next year for moose. Other thoughts? Deer on Kodiak, moose on Newfoundland, muskox in Greenland.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AFRICA

Molan Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not a hunt but a life I guess.

Alaska is still and always will be my white whale.

I want to live in AK and spend my time hunting and fishing as I please. Maybe a trap line of some sort.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Desert bighorn. We are finally getting enough here in NM that the odds of drawing a tag have become somewhat better.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Alaska, Yukon Moose.

Still need that Osceola to round out my turkey Grand Slam too.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I want to own a piece ground so my kids never have to ask anyone to deer hunt. It's getting very close to reality....

Dink

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Brown bear has been my bucket list animal for years. Tried back in 14 but came home without one. Hopefully ill give it another go in a couple years

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mudhen
Desert bighorn. We are finally getting enough here in NM that the odds of drawing a tag have become somewhat better.

This is my dream hunt as well. Unless I draw a TX or NM tag it probably won't happen though.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Probably Grizzly.. Been to Africa, have a dall and a bighorn.. Mostly I guess to enjoy the hunts and fishing trips I can make around the lower 48..

Really want to do more bird hunting with my dogs, and camping with my wife..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Snow Cock in the Ruby Mountains.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Some cool stuff fellas. My daughter has Africa on her to do list as soon as she crosses the college hurdle. Said she was taking me along. She is a good girl. Smart,committed,self starter. I have no doubt she will pull it off.

I cod get right into a big bear hunt. There is no way I can swing both griz and moose. Not on my earnings at my age,lol. So, it's moose for me.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
American Bison and caribou.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just one more chance to hunt deer with my dad, may he Rest In Peace. I miss him so much. All else is just fluff.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Brown bear on the Alaskan Peninsula; Lord Derby Eland in CAR; plains game in Namibia.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Brown bear on Kodiak (booked), buffalo/sable in Zimbabwe (booked), Mtn goat in BC and Mtn lion and moose in north Idaho. I was unsuccessful on brown bear this year in SE Alaska.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
American Bison and caribou.

Bison. Good call.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Stone Sheep in British Columbia.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Elk and Mule deer in Montana and Caribou and Moose in Alaska.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Now that my son is launched and I'm making a little more money, I want to make the classic North American hunts that I haven't already done. They include

Roosevelt’s elk (leaving for this one in a couple of months)
Rocky Mountain elk
Black bear
Mule deer
Pronghorn antelope
Aoudad
Desert sheep
Alaska: moose, brown bear, caribou, wolf
Alligator
Turkey

Once I get through this, I'll probably sell my big-game rifles and spend the rest of my life hunting cottontails and bullfrogs with a K22.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Don't die..

Right up there with some other things. At least not until I run out of bucket list things.

Could take awhile! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'd like to take spiral horned safari.... Kudu, Nyala, Eland, Bushbuck.

And one more safari for a Sable, Roan and a Gemsbok.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by teal
Not a hunt but a life I guess.

Alaska is still and always will be my white whale.

I want to live in AK and spend my time hunting and fishing as I please. Maybe a trap line of some sort.

Same here, A life. Desert southwest, Lion hunting on horseback with hounds. I could do that and only that for the rest of my life and die happy and complete

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Moose and caribou top the list....

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
As soon as my son gets to age 12 I hope the bucket list started

Tater
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by mmgravy
Moose and caribou top the list....

This in a remote pack in like BC or the Alaska.

Good Shooting!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49

When are you going, Bev?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A plains game African Safari that includes a greater kudu. That's something I fully intend on doing some day.

A Cape buffalo hunt would be the ultimate bucket list hunt, but the price of that makes it quite unlikely that'll ever happen.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49

When are you going, Bev?

Ed I'm hoping in 2018. My daughter is getting married next year so after I pay for that I hope to research/schedule/execute.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Possibly attainable: Caribou, and another moose.

Likely unattainable: any of the north American sheep, mountain goats, brown bear.

Pipe dream: Marco Polo, Asian ibex

possible reality: having my kids take to it and want to hunt and fish with me.

Salmonhead
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
1) grizzly and moose
2) northwoods grouse
3) LOTW Muskies

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Caribou
Blacktail deer
Elk
Canada Moose

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looking at the lists makes me feel pretty good about how many hunts I have gotten to do...

I will gladly "settle" for hunting with Riley for anything, or my daughter-in-law, or my granddaughter.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've actually done most of my bucket list stuff. Theres still a few obvious gaps gaps like lion and polar bear, and more oddball things like walrus. I've sort of gravitated toward population control hunts and culls.

I've done my share of Africa, Australia and both Americas, and should at least show up in Europe for something. That seems like a box worth checking off. Also completing the worlds bovines. And long range culling in New Zealand.

I guess theres a few left.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mule deer, Sonora Mexico.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
My absolute top bucket list animal would be a Marco Polo sheep from Tajikistan. It is totally unatainable for me but I feel it is the most beautiful trophy in the world. I will be in Kyrgyzstan in a month hunting ibex so i will at least get to see some of them!

Next for me would be a bighorn sheep from the unlimited's. I figure if I keep trying that is one I will be able to cross off!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
A nilgai with one of my 1895's. Iron sights in the oak mott.

But I'm in no big hurry.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B&C non typical mule deer....have only seen one on the hoof, after the season was closed about 12 years ago here in Montana.

Large boar grizzly bear in Montana. Have seen plenty of them here, just waiting for a season...

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Just one more chance to hunt deer with my dad, may he Rest In Peace. I miss him so much. All else is just fluff.

I hear ya. I went on a moose hunt in Newfoundland 2 years ago and it made me realize that I don't need more stuff. I just need to go more places and do more things with the people I love.
As for hunting, I would like to hunt out west and at least hear an elk bugle, sooner than later.

Last edited by River_Ridge; 09/23/16.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's a worthy goal!

I've pretty much done my bucket list, though would like to see Australia, and might as well be hunting while doing it. But mostly I prefer hunting with family and friends for the same Montana game animals (and gamebirds) I grew up hunting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Whitetail deer hunting probably in SD, MN or IA. I have never had the opportunity to hunt for whitetails and I have read so many stories about them. I get to hunt sheep, goats, moose, caribou and bears every year but I have never hunted for whitetails. I will get to do it when I retire from teaching. I would really like to do an archery hunt down the Milk River for Whitetails as well.

Last edited by kaboku68; 09/23/16.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Large grizzly here in MT. Season???I sure hope so!
A really nice mule deer & a moose &/or sheep in MT.

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For me, it would be a horseback Yukon mixed bag hunt of about 21 days; sheep, caribou and grizzly. I have hunting from Mexico to Alaska and Canada, chased lions with hounds, belly crawled after pronghorns and everything in between. I typically go on 3-4 rut elk hunts every year. This will be the first year in 30 that I won't go. My recent Kodiak trip stole most of the good dates and my knee is keeping pretty close to home. I hope they can repair it good enough that I can get back at it. I've been blessed to go on lots of hunts. I have had some bad ones and some incredibly good ones. I have as good a chance as anyone to draw a desert sheep tag here in AZ with max bonus points but that is still a very small chance.

Someone mentioned the snow cock hunt. My buddy, who guides in Nevada, said he would go on that hunt with me if I decide to do it. We'll see how my legs hold up.

I am not so keen on Africa as many of you as there is still a lot left to do here in North America. I much prefer to hunt on my own than to be guided. This has somewhat limited my options.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
For me, it would be a horseback Yukon mixed bag hunt of about 21 days; sheep, caribou and grizzly. I have hunting from Mexico to Alaska and Canada, chased lions with hounds, belly crawled after pronghorns and everything in between. I typically go on 3-4 rut elk hunts every year. This will be the first year in 30 that I won't go. My recent Kodiak trip stole most of the good dates and my knee is keeping pretty close to home. I hope they can repair it good enough that I can get back at it. I've been blessed to go on lots of hunts. I have had some bad ones and some incredibly good ones. I have as good a chance as anyone to draw a desert sheep tag here in AZ with max bonus points but that is still a very small chance.

Someone mentioned the snow cock hunt. My buddy, who guides in Nevada, said he would go on that hunt with me if I decide to do it. We'll see how my legs hold up.

I am not so keen on Africa as many of you as there is still a lot left to do here in North America. I much prefer to hunt on my own than to be guided. This has somewhat limited my options.

What about a horseback AK hunt for same?

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd like to hunt late season 12B for Mule Deer in AZ, but not enough to save up bonus points! grin

Mule Deer, Elk, Coyotes, Turkeys....in the Arizona back country, is as good as it gets for me.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Elk
Caribou
Pigs
Exotics of some sort
Turkey

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

What about a horseback AK hunt for same?

Not aware of anywhere in AK that has a hunt like this, first off, there are no Stone sheep!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Rutting Coues Whitetails is on my current to do list. I hope to accomplish that one this year.
My father who lives in PA and I have been putting in for bonus points in Maine for about 5 years now and I hope to do it before he gets too old to get around.

Other than that, I feel like I've been lucky enough to do the other ones. Every hunting trip I go on, I have a self reflection moment. I sit back and think about how I could have never imagined the hunting opportunities i've been lucky enough to experience when I was 12 years old.

Edit for grammer

Last edited by jmgraham1986; 09/25/16.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
30 days in Tanzania for Buffalo, Leopard, Lion, Grants Gazelle, Gerenuk, lesser kudu, sable, Roan ect.

More obtainable would be free range Axis and Aoudad in Texas.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
A nice big moose in Alaska, maybe with a handgun though not required.

Brown or Grizzly bear.

Having traveled a fair bit, I have ZERO desire to go to Africa on my own time.

A nice float trip on a lazy river on a raft in Alaska, fishing with my dad, camping along the way.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Elk

Mule Deer

Coues Deer

Pronghorn

150+ class Whitetail

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
A nice big moose in Alaska, maybe with a handgun though not required.

Brown or Grizzly bear.

A nice float trip on a lazy river on a raft in Alaska, fishing with my dad, camping along the way.

That pretty much isn't a bad list... we are very similar. Zero desire or close to it for Africa. Moving to AK in a few years hopefully, would like to take one of everything there before we are to old. Size is not an issue, the hunt is the fun part, not the size.

I sure hope we get many days rafting this or that river, dropped off by plane hopefully, and drift on down. And plenty of hunts. Starting our job searches now already, for part time, to help pay the bills while there, and maintaining our farm in TX. Ain't gonna be cheap or easy but nothing good ever is.

Best of luck on your list!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Greenland musk ox.
Cape Buffalo.
Kudu.
Gemsbok.
Hunt and fish Alaska.
Muskie, smallmouth and walleye in Canada.

Better get busy...............

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Been on an African Safari and been to war in Africa. I liked Alaska more, and didn't have nearly the trouble with IEDs and rockets....

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good thread, Otter!

getting my boy into elk camp in 2018, along with my dad. (your CO unit). 3 generations in elk camp would be one for the books. smile

dad and I leave next Saturday.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Good luck to you and your Dad. We have a trip penciled in for that unit for next fall. First rifle as usual. I may end up in eastern MT though. Elk camp could be 9 hunters. Getting a little crowded for my taste. Been wanting to do a MT deer hunt. We'll just have to see how it shakes out.

Im expecting pics of the bulls you and dad kill!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd like to be with my son when he fills his first tag. It's been a long tough road, and I don't have a lot of hunts left in me.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gopher,
I am telling you, he can fill his tag up here!

Can a guy have something on his bucket list and do it and keep it on said list? Cuz elk are never coming off my list!

1. Archery bull elk (again)
2. Find an arrowhead
3. Western hunts with my 3 kids of some sort (pronghorn, mulies, maybe elk)
4. An Alaskan cruise with the wife

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't think many of the hunts I would like to go on are going to be financially possible with two more kids going to college, so I have pared down my list to "doable hunts".

Snow and Canada geese
more and more pheasants
pronghorn
Mule deer
Would love to do doves/ducks in Argentina.

My main goal is to buy a fifth wheel when I retire and spend my summers fishing in a state that is not so brutally hot. I am thinking Michigan or Wisconsin but might consider Maine or maybe even some place out west.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.