Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Damn, it's raining on my keyboard again !

I'll comment when I can see again.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
67.11'10.21N, 156.59'40.11W along with my best friend, Uncas, and my surrogate Dad. We had flown in on Sept 3 and were due to be picked up Sept 17 by the Bush Pilot.

When he landed on the 17th, the Super Cub had barely stopped when he threw open the door and shouted "We're at war!" and handed me a stack of newspapers.

Our world was certainly changed.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cuttin' grouse/hiking trails up north with my Jari mower.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was at work watched the second plane hit live on tv. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Went outside and flight 93 passed directly over head. It was so low I thought it was a jet fighter at first. The engine roar was that loud. Still took me a while to put two and two together.

Last edited by Sauer200; 09/10/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
Where were you and what were you doing when you found out?

I was a junior in Freeport High School in IL. Room 203, Mr. Wilkinson's World History class.

Announcement came over the speaker a few minutes into class saying there had been an an attack on the WTC and the country was/may be under attack. All classrooms were instructed to turn on the TVs (by then in every classroom at my HS) to the news. The second plane had just hit as we found the news channel. Not much was said until after lunch when we understood more about what had happened. No classes were taught tat day. Mostly sitting in silence with some sporadic comments from teachers.

Even then, there was almost no talking. Remember coming home to find my mom with the TV on- she never watched TV except the news, and only in the AM when she was riding the stationary bike and the evenings with my dad.

Went back to school the next day. Still we just watched the news. All day, no classes. The 12th we talked more than the 11th, mostly about how this would impact our lives and our children's lives. Obviously a few smart teachers I had understood the enormity of the situation and were already comparing this to our generation's Pearl Harbor.

I will never forget!

are you [bleep] kidding me / ? I went to harlem ! i was in College algebra.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I was in a monthly project management meeting with Bechtel in their office in Houston. My Bechtel Project Manager and I called for a pee break. We were standing at the elevator area on the 22nd floor looking at the TV as it unfolded. I recall him asking, "Ed, are you aware of the demo of the WTC"? Obviously the first plane had made impact but we only saw the building crumbling just as those designed to be crumbled do when demo'd. We went back to the meeting, my wife called me advising what was going on. I ended the meeting and advised all attending to head home.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
9/12 i called the Marine recruiter in rockford, talked to him, I made the mistake of telling him I was deaf in one ear, biggest regret of my life was telling him about that. 5 of my good buddies enlistted in the Marine corp, All of them chewed some of the nastiest [bleep] the middle east had to offer.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Was at work and went into the break room to get a coffee. There was a group watching a tv and as I stood there deciphering what I was seeing, the second plane hit. As it became clear we were under attack, I can't really describe the feelings I had...... a combination of shock, anger, fear, helplessness? Had a compulsion to leave work and gather my family to somehow protect them. By the looks on the faces of people in the plant as word spread, I wasn't the only one.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was waiting for my friend Bill Miller to pick me up at the ranch strip to fly a deer census when I heard about the first plane on the truck radio. They didn't say anything about an airliner, so I figured it was something like the little plane that flew into the Empire State Building years ago.

We were just through with our census when Bill got an emergency notification that all aircraft were to land immediately. He set me down on our strip and turned to start a take-off roll. I yelled at him, "Bill, they said all planes were supposed to land!" He hollered back, "They didn't say anything about taking off." Then he flew the 20 or so miles back to his ranch.

I got back to the house just in time to see the the first tower fall.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was walking in the back hallway of the High school I was working at. I was the School Resource Officer. My wife had just called and was telling me about an airplane hitting the World Trade Center. I told her "there is an air traffic controller in a world of $hit today". Just as I reached my office she said "a second one just hit the other building"!!!

At the same time I heard a School secretary say out loud "oh no"!! It was quite a day for all of the kids. We went almost 2 weeks without a discipline issue. It really scared the bejeesus out of them.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I was going to school at UM(Missoula).

One of my roommates woke me up and said we have been attacked.

Went to campus and it was basically shut down for the day.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
just woke up after working afternoons and secondary the night before. was eating some cereal as i watched the morning news. was talking to my wife as we watched the second plane hit.

at the time we lived 5 miles from the airport and still remember the sky being empty.

sit all night talking with the neighbors as i was placed on call for the next 2 shifts

we will never forget.

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
bigfish9684;
Good evening to you sir, thanks for the timely thread and thanks to those who've shared their recollections of that tragic and pivotal day in history.

I was working at a cabinet shop then and here in BC it was right around our lunch time when we got the news.

I recall phoning my wife and telling her about it, asking her to keep me posted of the news as it came available as she had access to radio and internet at work and I didn't.

We had somewhere between 225 and 250 flights bound for the US that were diverted into Canadian airports that day - somewhere north of 30,000 combined passengers and crew - so that was yet another added dimension of the day and the days that followed as well.

As already mentioned, it was hauntingly strange not seeing any jet trails going over our valley home.

Thanks again for those who've shared - my thoughts and prayers remain with those directly affected by that terrible day.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was at work in an optical lab in Plymouth, Mn, a suburb of the Twin Cities. I was in charge of inspection and quality control. Another one of our shift supervisors told me what had happened. Like everyone else we were startled, and just trying to grasp what was happening. All semblance of production went out the door. About 20 minutes after the first strike was reported, I went outside to check on some of our folks who were taking a smoke break and listening to their car radios. I looked up, and there were 2 F-16's from the 148th Fighter Wing out of Duluth flying patrol over the Twin Cities all ready. We learned later that the pilots had pushed their planes to the max and then some to get on station over the Twin Cities. Both of those birds were grounded when they got back to Duluth as the engines were in pretty rough shape from flying so hard to get on station over the Cities.

The ride home that night was surreal. Everyone was glued to their radios listening to the story unfold. I pulled into our neighborhood and my neighbor across the street from me was sitting in a lawn chair in his front yard. His 40 year old Marine uniform still looking sharp and perfect. A Colt on his hip, an M-1 across his lap, and the U.S. flag waving in the fall breeze behind his back. I went over and just sat with him. Not a word was said, I just wanted him to know I was there for him. When I got up the next morning, he was still guarding that flag, and had been up all night.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
When it started I was heading back to my office after attending the morning Department Head meeting at Masonic Healthcare in Wallingford, CT.
It's hard to believe it's been 15 years.

StarchedCover

Last edited by StarchedCover; 09/10/16.

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Kotzebue Alaska waiting to load an airplane with 9 Middle School Cross Country Runners. Needless to say we did not fly that day or for the next 3. The air in Kotz is a Buz this time of year with hunters, cargo and Alaska Airlines jets and it was dead silent. Very scary!

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
On the crapper at Graceland.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was driving North on US -23 heading to Tawas Michigan I was listening to Bob and Tom and the said a plane hit the trade tower and I Myself and they thought it was an accident (probably a small private). Shortly after the reported a second hit the building and of course it was clear this was not an accident.I heard a tremble in Toms voice as he reported it.

I remember I really didnt know what to do that day, go home, work. I called on customers and everyone had a TV on with the latest updates.I was quite concerned for my friends and Family in the Motherland (Chicago). I called my Sister and asked her to leave and come to me.

It was a HORRIBLE day I will never forget.

Recently my Daughter moved from a great town Johnstown PA (Love that town and will always think highly of it). On my last trip there, on the way out I visited the Flight 93 Memorial just south of Johnstown.I had seen it before but knew I would not be able anytime soon.

I would encourage and on who can possibly do it to visit the Memorial. It is just an erie place where quite a few brave people made a last stand. I really dont know whatelse to say. I think all will be moved that visit.

I will never forget they grewsome/horrible day when America lost its innocense

I am a Catholic and one of my flaws is I will never be able to forgive those Mother Truckers, I am sorry to say

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am saddened and moved just writing the post
Not much stirs emotion in me like that day
Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 09/10/16.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I was at our office trying to figure out how to nab some of the declining market share at the time. We were in deep discussion when our jackass dispatcher stepped in and told us about the first plane. We watched for a bit, basically a bit uncertain about the cause. Then the second plane hit and we knew it was rag heads. We were all eager for swift and severe retaliation.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 48 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,104
Posts18,502,134
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.