Print Thread
Hop To
R
Robster Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
As to not hijack ADK backcountry's thread I figured I would start my own.
My son and I and two buddies backpacked in to the High Peaks wilderness area over the weekend. Seward Mountain was the one we chose. We were trying to work the bugs out of our gear from packs and boots to first time hammock camping. We hiked in the 5 miles to the Blueberry lean-to Friday night, set up hammocks at about 9:30pm in the dark. Saturday, we broke camp, stowed some of our gear and hiked up to the peak and back. 3 miles and a little over 2000 feet in elevation to the 4400 feet peak up, then reversed it for the 3 mile descent. Set up our new camp, stayed another night then hiked the 5 miles out on Saturday. Pack in was about 42 pounds, pack up was about 26 pounds.
[Linked Image]

I am not really sore, but my legs were exhausted. No energy left in them. at 45 years old, I was happy I could still do it. Last time I did that trip I was 10 years younger and doing triathlons and practically ran the whole way in and up. Made me realize if and when I get out west, my hunting will be horseback hunting. Let my equine companion carry the load and I can carry a light day pack for all the hunting footwork.

We are going to do it again soon, this time we will do the loop. Up Seward, catch Emmons and Donaldson, then go off the backside to Calkins Brook trail back to trailhead. 21 mile loop. We do it for a getaway so will do it over two nights. No need to rush a weekend in the back country.
[Linked Image]

A few thoughts. I need to lighten my gear. a hair over 40 pounds doesn't cut it. A 4 pound sleeping bag is too heavy and one place I can cut some weight. I went through all the gear I had that I didn't even think of using and shaved some weight there as well.

For down into the 40's, hammock is the way to go for me. After that, I will break out the wall tent and do my camp/hunts that way. In warm comfort with a wood stove.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For the hammock, I went with amsteel adjustable whoopie sling. The weight, strength and adjustability of them can't be compared to.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221913497566?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221922935305?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Boots are Kenetrek Hardscrabble hikers. Perfect for the season, extremely comfortable and I couldn't believe how well they retained traction on the wet rock.
[Linked Image]

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
GB1

R
Robster Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Poles. At my age, I would never hike like that without them. A first time for me and I will never go without them again. Even my son at 16 said he wanted a pair for the next trip.

Pack was the Cabelas Instinct 60L. I like it, just need to see how it stands the test of time.

Brought my Black Mouth Cur. He is in fantastic shape and after a brief nap on the way up, he ran to the top like I wish I could.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Couple views from the top
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Andele/media/Resized_20160910_132309_zpsnxyypxu7.jpg.html]

R
Robster Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

[Linked Image]

R
R
Good pics man, thanks for sharing!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good looking dog. Thanks for sharing.

IC B2

R
Robster Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks, he is a Black Mouth Cur. He was in better shape for the trip than we were.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks like it was worth some of the efforts applied. I think I am going to try and get away Sunday if at all possible and do a hike. Haven't decided which way to go, maybe Colden or Avalanche. Have any ideas or recommendations Robster?

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
R
Robster Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Years ago I did the three peaks that include Marcy. A great day hike. We were uo, tagged the three and were out by 1:00. Not sure if rhe weather is going to be conducive to a good view, but its a great hike and is above treeline.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love avalanche lake and going from there to Algonquin is a hell of a workout.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
R
Robster Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
i'll add that to my list!!!

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Avalanche Lake is awesome, I need to take a trip back up there and do the trap dike again to Colden MTN. I wonder how the fishing is in avalanche

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
R
Robster Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Just googled that one. I have got to pack in there and try out the fishing. Whoever makes it there first, report on it for the other!

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Save the weight and leave your fishing gear in the car. All of the research I've read is most of the high peaks lakes are dead due to the high amount of acid rain.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
R
Robster Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I've heard that as well, but my son loves to fish and even catching 4" brookies on a fly rod are worth it to him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I packed with Goats across the PNW for 15 years. One of the best and quickest ways to sleep and not pack a full on tent was my Hennessy Hammock. Much of the area is steep straight up and down with a zillion switch backs. That hammock between trees eliminated looking for a level spot or being on the very typical soaking wet ground.

The Hennessy hammock is a winner for light weight weather tight and easy use. There are similar designs made by others, but this is a good invention!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cut my teeth climbing,skiing,trailess peaks in the 'daks from about '78-'84. Some winter camping trips with temps around -30F. I like Montana fine but my heart will always be in the NE woods and near the ocean.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,380 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,057
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.