Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have been using Summit and Ol' Man climbers for years. I want to try something different so what are some good climbers? Maybe there are some new ones or small companies I have not heard about.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You are going to have a hard time beating Summit for an all around climber in terms of weight, comfort, ease, etc. Good Luck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
You are going to have a hard time beating Summit for an all around climber in terms of weight, comfort, ease, etc. Good Luck.

+1

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lone Wolf...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've used almost exclusively summitt and API Grand Slams.

Generally prefer the API but neither one sucks. API is roomier and I like the belt/chain set up a little better.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't ask me; I'm too old, too fat, and too scared for climbers, and high ladders are starting to freak me out a bit too. Don't bounce like I used to.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm a minimalist when it comes to any treestands.
I've always been a small hang-on and occasionally ladder stand user.
Recently I bought a Lone Wolf hand climber for an area I hunt where I need to move a little more often and the trees are suitable.

It's very compact and light weight. Climbs easy enough and under 15 lbs.
No obstruction for shooting recurve or longbow.

I can't say it's the best because I haven't used anything else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Summit Viper works just fine for me.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
For weight you can't beat a Lone Wolf.

I have a Loggy Bayou and it's damn comfortable. Pretty easy to set up as well.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by teal
I've used almost exclusively summitt and API Grand Slams.

Generally prefer the API but neither one sucks. API is roomier and I like the belt/chain set up a little better.

^^^THIS^^^

I have 2 and love them. They use a plastic covered motorcycle chain that grips the tree with little or no slippage.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The API is a good stand too. I find them to slip more than summit and they are much, much louder. The plastic shrink wrap on the chain doesn't last that long either, but that's minor.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Don't ask me; I'm too old, too fat, and too scared for climbers, and high ladders are starting to freak me out a bit too. Don't bounce like I used to.

+1 with the exception of being too fat. Hunt on the ground these days and have had a lot of success....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy the Treewalker for gun hunting. Lone wolf for bowhunting.

The treewalker is a recliner at 20 feet, tie yourself in cuz you may be cutting zzz's. It's unbelievable how light it is, bites a tree better than anything else on the market, made in USA, NOTHING, except the old treelounge can challenge it for comfort. Worth every dime. Nothing's perfect so the only thing I'd change on it would be quieting the cables. The design seems better suited for rifles IMO, but you can definitely make it work for bowhunting.

Lone wolf sit and climb for me when it comes to bowhunting. I sit when I shoot out of a tree stand with a bow, so an open design suits me better. This stand offers this in spades plus a sturdier platform than most while staying somewhat light. It's comfortable enough to get the job done, but nowhere near the hammock snoozing quality of the treewalker.

I had 2 summits back in the 90's that broke at the welds. Their customer service was excellent with the repairs, but I moved on. A lot of folks love em, I'm sure they make a great product today. Because I don't own one anymore I'll just tell you some of the features that stand out in my opinion as far as being a good product and leave the criticism to others. The cable adjustment and design is top notch and better than the others I mentioned, they're pretty comfortable and they accessorize really well.

Best of luck!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I use a combination of a summit bushmaster seat and a summit openshot platform and it works well for me. Weighs 18 pounds with third hand stabilizer straps, which I highly recommend , and is fairly easy to carry. As others have mentioned I have a fear of heights so I use a rock climbing harness with a prussic attachment to slide up the tree from the time I leave the ground. Even though I am 66 years old I feel with the new stands and safety equipment climbing is easier and much safer than when I was in my 20's.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Treewalker all the way. You won't be disappointed

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ANYTHING is better than the old Bakers....

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Treewalker, I've tried em all. Nothing grips, and is as comfortable. Best stand I have ever used by a long shot

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Summit Goliath is hard to beat for comfort.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Summit Goliath is the best overall I've used.

I have a tree lounge and while it's very comfortable it's a PIA to pack in and hang on a tree.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
Summit Goliath is hard to beat for comfort.

This....

I use a Goliath SD and it's hard to beat in terms of weight, roominess and noise. Far less heavy and noisy than my API's and plenty of room for me (5-11 and 218 lbs) with a heavy coat on....and very comfortable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (308ld, Anaconda, 35, BamBam, AnthonyB, 10 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,740
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.