Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FWP
Originally Posted by ldmay375
and carried in a chest type rig.

I would guess how you carry is as important as what you carry.

Is there a particular chest rig that has gained favor of those who use them?

7x Leather is a favorite of mine (www.7xleather.com).

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A lot of folks up here like this stuff.

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's not Alaska here, and the bears are not as big, but the rig I carry when in the woods and not armed with a rifle is a 4.62" SuperBlackhawk loaded with Beartooth 300 grain LFN DCG GC at 1.725" oal.

I carry it in a Diamond D Guide's choice, and it makes carrying my revolver much more comfortable than a hip holster.

The load is accurate and powerful, and though I am not primarily hunting when carrying it, if a decent target of opportunity presents itself, I can take it.

I've sighted numerous bears in the last few years, but they have never been anywhere near any trouble to me. It's the feral dogs that can be troublesome.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by FWP
and carried in a chest type rig.

I would guess how you carry is as important as what you carry.

Is there a particular chest rig that has gained favor of those who use them?

7x Leather is a favorite of mine (www.7xleather.com).

[Linked Image]

NICE rig there! I've got a El Paso Saddlery Tanker rig for one of my Bisleys. Might have to have one of those 7x leather rigs' too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use the Diamond D. I have several of them. Great people, and are local to me so that is also a plus to me. I have had them make accommodations for a RMR on one revolver, and modifications to their standard product line on another or two.

I have an El Paso Saddlery Tanker for a 4-3/4 Freedom Arms, but use a Diamond D for it. Nice rig, as is the 7x products, and several other makers.

My holsters usually stay wet through-out the moose season, take a muskeg bath or two, and receive little to no maintenance ever (other than wiping off putrid and staining muskeg). If I am not in the tent, the holster is usually on and accessible as possible, not covered by rain gear. I have had very good serviceability from the Diamond D. Definitely not the fanciest but very functional holsters.

To me chest type holsters are a Huge improvement over hip holsters !! They are much more comfortable, allow me to adjust / position the revolver to accommodate bino chest harness and my day pack.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by teal
Curious - what would you consider as a sidearm to carry if you were going to spend a lot of time in AK?

I know the typical magazine article will tout some sort of cannon needed as bear defense and while I understand that - I'd have to think most revolvers are carried a lot more than shot and likely never shot into claws and fur or at the least - very rarely. Something you're going to use to plink a bit, targets of opportunity and if necessary - bear/wolf/love sick moose protection...

So - ideas on a general hip companion? Thinking stainless, revolver, probably starts with a .4

And to be clear - this is totally bench racing. I'm not living there, not visiting etc - just thinking.

I'd have to think a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag? 5.5 inch barrel?

I have carried 475 Linebaugh, 44 mag, 45 Colt, and 454. All have either 4.75, 4, 5, and 5.5" barrels, are stainless, Hard Cast flat point bullets, some single action & some double action, and carried in a chest type rig. Subject to change, but these are my preferred.

Currently considering a Super Redhawk with a 5" barrel in 480 Ruger. Have not made the purchase and barrel modification. I have a 454 in the Toklat model and really like it. The 480 seems about my ideal in this platform.

I would, if I still had one or ever purchase another, 41 mag revolver to my carry list with Hard Cast bullets.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
[quote=teal]Currently considering a Super Redhawk with a 5" barrel in 480 Ruger. Have not made the purchase and barrel modification. I have a 454 in the Toklat model and really like it. The 480 seems about my ideal in this platform.

I would, if I still had one or ever purchase another, 41 mag revolver to my carry list with Hard Cast bullets.

Nice to see someone who is "there" also thinks the .41 is up to the task.... It is the one round of some power, other than 10mm in a semi-auto, that I can shoot both fast and accurately... Have had both the .454 and .475 in SA guns and have just found the recoil very unpleasant. Would love to try a Super Redhawk in .480...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It was mentioned but does the S&W 69 work for these needs?

Retired cat herder.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
We all have opinions, and different ones abound in Alaska. My opinion is the 41 Mag is an outstanding round and pleasant to shoot (as a larger bore can be). I do believe the appropriate 250-260ish grain hard cast should penetrate well. And some unfriendly large animals have been killed in timely fashion with less horse power in tense situations.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FlaRick
Originally Posted by MojoHand
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like that chest holster. Have one coming for my Glock 21 on Friday. Should be handy when I'm on the tractor or the utv at our place in Virginia.

Wanted to post a quick review of the Man Gear Alaska chest holster. I wore it yesterday for about 4 hours with a Glock 17 and a spare mag while working on my logging trails. It was very comfortable, kept the pistol and the mag completely secure and easily accessible, and did not impede any of my activities. Would give it 5 stars so far.

I'm better when I move.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an El Paso Tanker and a Diamond D chest rig for a couple handguns. I think I'm gonna order a Man Gear Alaska rig for my 5.5" bull barrel Ruger MK III Hunter. The price is right compared to the other two rigs and Cabela's has them in stock.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you get it from Cabelas, make sure it is the latest model.

I'm better when I move.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by smallfry
If you want a revolver a S&W 686 3" is nice, also a 629 4" regular or mountain gun. Living remote in AK I carried a lot of different guns, even a Redhawk. The heavier the gun the less likely you will want to carry it. I don't feel totally unarmed with a single action but I got into a horrible scrape when I missed very close with a SBH that lead me down a road of double actions and autos. I carry a Glock 23 often.

I hear that argument a lot, but when you are actually walking around where big bears walk, you don't leave your gun at home, or even in the truck.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
During my last stint there, when I did carry a handgun it was a Glock 22 loaded with 180gr cast bullets.

If I was back there tomorrow it would likely be the Glock 23, same load. 40 S&W is about as big as I can go and count on a decent 'double tap'

When I lived in Kodiak, I carried a 7 1/2 Redhawk, but I was 18.

Regardless, it would be a Glock of some flavor. I want to like a 10mm/45 Glock, but they are just enough bigger to not fit me right.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FlaRick
If you get it from Cabelas, make sure it is the latest model.

I see there is a Gen II holster. I'll certainly check it out... I may get one for my 6.5" Ruger Blackhawk .41 also.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the past I've carried this one... FA .454 with 335 hard cast.

[Linked Image]

Funny thing... my wife's family homesteaded Alaska before statehood and aren't overly concerned about bears, but really worried about rattlesnakes when visiting here in Arizona. I'm just the opposite.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by smallfry
If you want a revolver a S&W 686 3" is nice, also a 629 4" regular or mountain gun. Living remote in AK I carried a lot of different guns, even a Redhawk. The heavier the gun the less likely you will want to carry it. I don't feel totally unarmed with a single action but I got into a horrible scrape when I missed very close with a SBH that lead me down a road of double actions and autos. I carry a Glock 23 often.

I hear that argument a lot, but when you are actually walking around where big bears walk, you don't leave your gun at home, or even in the truck.

Agreed, I've never left a gun in the truck or at home because it was too heavy. Either I pack a gun, typically a 480 srh, or I don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by CraigD

“I have heard it said..."that if you want to eat it, use jacketed hollow points. If it wants to eat you, use hard cast.”

Written by a really stupid person and believed by morons. Why? If you think the goal is to kill a big bear - you're a fool (and likely to show up in the scat). The goal is to stop the attack. A JHP will put a bigger hurt on a critter than hardcast and the critter's attention to turn to the owie and away from you.

Thats the reason bear spray works. Only gays and fuecktards believe they will actually carry a hip cannon that will quickly kill a bear with hardcast.

Guess you can count me in the foolish / stupid / moron category when it comes to handguns and bears.
As you can see from this photo my first line of defense is the camera around my neck, then the bear spray in my hand and finally my S&W 44 Mtn Gun with hard cast bullets - in a full flap holster at that.

[Linked Image]

And if all of those fail I still have my ability to "grin them down" just like Davy Crockett

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yikes Phil! How much did that bear skull measure?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't remember exactly which one that is but it looks to be in the high 28's or low 29's. the largest we ever took was measured by F&G at 30 8/16".

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.