Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Curious - what would you consider as a sidearm to carry if you were going to spend a lot of time in AK?

I know the typical magazine article will tout some sort of cannon needed as bear defense and while I understand that - I'd have to think most revolvers are carried a lot more than shot and likely never shot into claws and fur or at the least - very rarely. Something you're going to use to plink a bit, targets of opportunity and if necessary - bear/wolf/love sick moose protection...

So - ideas on a general hip companion? Thinking stainless, revolver, probably starts with a .4

And to be clear - this is totally bench racing. I'm not living there, not visiting etc - just thinking.

I'd have to think a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag? 5.5 inch barrel?

Me

GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Since it is kinda wet there I would go for a stainless 4" .41 Magnum.. S&W 657 or 657 Mountain Gun or the new 4.2" Redhawk.

Load would be a 210-255 grain hard cast at 1150-1250 fps...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you want a revolver a S&W 686 3" is nice, also a 629 4" regular or mountain gun. Living remote in AK I carried a lot of different guns, even a Redhawk. The heavier the gun the less likely you will want to carry it. I don't feel totally unarmed with a single action but I got into a horrible scrape when I missed very close with a SBH that lead me down a road of double actions and autos. I carry a Glock 23 often.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I would have said 44 mag, then 10mm but now with recent developments, a 9mm.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by viking

Which "recent developments"?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd say it depends on if I was traveling alone

If so. The probably a big bore revolver.

If not then a simple 22 mag. Da revolver

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man, I've been waiting on this thread as we have never discussed anything like this on the fire in a very long time. I think I'd use a smith 3rd gen in 9mm.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I still think this would be my favorite gun to pack around the Alaskan bush. With the scandium frame it is very ltwt. But it definitely isn't a good or enjoyable plinker.
Still for sale too, but that is a different thread.
[Linked Image]

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
44 Mag and up, heavy loads with heavy for caliber cast SWC or LBT bullets.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

This has been most most frequent companion; shot a lot more than used and I hope it stays that way. (4.65" Blackhawk 45; yeah I have the 5.5" Redhawk as well, but this one has more history and is easier to pack)

Last edited by Klikitarik; 09/13/16.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S&W 57 or 29 4". Heavy WFN loads at around 1,000 - 1,100 fps. Reasonable size, weight, power, recoil, and accuracy. Bullets should drive deep yet recoil ought to be manageable for fast shooting if needed.

For auto pistol people, a Glock 20 would do well.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't know...for the longest I felt my Glock 20 was plenty. Then I started talking to Max and John and I read Max's book. I have a single action Ruger Super Blackhawk in .41 Magnum. But, it's a family heirloom. It was my Dad's favorite gun. He used to get it out in the evenings and just wipe it down with his silicone cloth and he would point it out at the Colorado river bank that was about 20 yards from his back door. He probably never put more than a cylinder of rounds through it. So, I have a S&W 500 Magnum Revolver with a 6" barrel, but carrying it would be chore. I don't know. Problems, problems...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

A moose attack is more likely than a bear, although both are in the realm of possibility. I would go with a 45 colt and 335 grain WFN at about 1300 FPS.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Uhhhh, I have to point out that you ain't Phil.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by teal
Curious - what would you consider as a sidearm to carry if you were going to spend a lot of time in AK?

I know the typical magazine article will tout some sort of cannon needed as bear defense and while I understand that - I'd have to think most revolvers are carried a lot more than shot and likely never shot into claws and fur or at the least - very rarely.
Spare tires are rarely used too.., but when ya need one they're really, really handy to have 'on hand'.. laugh

That'd work. Or even a SBH in .45LC, using rounds loaded to Ruger capacities; i.e., 250 gr. boolits at about 1500 fps..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
How about the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan carried in an external chest rig? It's available in three big bore chamberings, all adequate for big bear defense with the right loads.

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The Ruger Alaskan does make sense but that short barrel - are you getting much performance from it? Going to be honest - my pistol shooting is limited.

Buncha 1911's, a New Vaquero in 45 Colt and a G19.

Like I said - just bench racing here. Was watching some outdoor/reality show and they had dudes in AK, most were packing a pistol but rarely discussed. One guy had a lever action 357 Mag but if I'm going to pack a rifle - it's gonna have more hp than a 357 Mag.

Got me to thinking - carried more than shot, needs to do a bit of everything, what would it look like?

Plus I have some Russell Annabel books showing up today so that's on the mind too - thought it might be some interesting conversation without it being specific to Phil going Miami Vice on that bear!

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This Alaskan in .480 would be a good choice.

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Whitworth1 - I know or believe you're a big Ruger pistol guy - what is the state of the 480 Ruger round?

I remember when it came out - IIRC it was touted as something more than a 44 Mag but not as brutal as the 454 Casull.

Then it seemed to disappear - don't remember the last time I read about it tho I've not really bought many rags lately.

Me

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Supposedly a WWII Aircrewman who was parachuting out of a B-24 (or some other similar bomber, I can't recall) used his 1911 to shoot down a Japanese Zero.

What a lot of combat guys literally call the "Golden BB", and far from what most would consider the recommended method of defense against such a beast.

Personally I would not rely on the "Golden BB" when it was my life that was hanging in the balance.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Whitworth1 - I know or believe you're a big Ruger pistol guy - what is the state of the 480 Ruger round?

I remember when it came out - IIRC it was touted as something more than a 44 Mag but not as brutal as the 454 Casull.

Then it seemed to disappear - don't remember the last time I read about it tho I've not really bought many rags lately.

The 480 Riger us alive and well

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
How's it bark compared to a 45 Colt? Frame of reference here - the 45 Colt is the largest I've touched off myself.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

The 480 Riger us alive and well

How's it bark compared to a 45 Colt? Frame of reference here - the 45 Colt is the largest I've touched off myself.

I shoot both and the 480 is quite manageable, especially if you're shooting the lighter (325 grain) weights in it. I have the 45 in both BH as well as RH and the 480 in SRH- a chopped 4" berrel, and a BFR. The BFR is no defensive revolver, but the abbreviated 480 is close to perfect for a double action in this caliber. Still, overall, my personal preference for an easy/always-carry, handy and readily manageable revolver, the 45 Blackhawk is my preference. But, as with any handgun capable of spitting 300+ grains at the speed of sound or better, one needs to shoot a lot more than a few of them regularly if you hope to stay on top of good control.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

Uhhhh, I have to point out that you ain't Phil.

Sarcasm. LOL

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There's a whole thread on 458WIN's (Phil Shoemaker - Alaska Master Guide) defense of clients with a 9mm, that involves every conceivable commentary on what handgun to carry in Alaska.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11373794/1

For self defense, I agree with Phil, deep penetration and fast shot-to-shot recovery.

That rules out most of the hand cannons displayed in this thread.

For purposeful hunting, they may be OK.

I've had almost every handcannon they make, and now carry a Glock 19 with the right ammo everywhere I go, including Alaska, where my company is based, and I visit often, and where I lived for 6 years.

Last edited by David_Walter; 09/14/16.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It's doing quite well, particularly with Ruger releasing the Super Blackhawk in .480 last year. Loaded with heavy bullets it will get your attention, but it won't knock the snot out of you like a Casull loaded to spec. It is more of a heavy push. Great round.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gitem_12

grin

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The Ruger Alaskan does make sense but that short barrel - are you getting much performance from it?

The short barreled Ruger Alaskan will break 1400 FPS with Winchester factory loaded 300 grain jacketed bullets. I'd say that's enough to git r done

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I carry whatever suits my fancy that day. It could be a Ruger Bisley in 41 or 44 mag, 45 Colt or 44 Special. It might be a Herters Powermag in 401 or 44. Just depends on my mood. I carry the Flattop Bisley 44 Special more than anything. It's loaded with Keith's load of 17 grains of 2400 and a 429421. I cast them 50/50 WW/lino. I haven't had to draw down on a bear. I did have to put a couple rounds in the dirt in front of a far too curious bull moose last year who kept advancing on me as I dressed a cow.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I've carried a few different ones but have most recently settled on a S&W 69 loaded with 300gr WFNs at 1150. 98% of the time I'm carrying a rifle as well so the handgun is just a spare, more of a "get offa me" gun that kills a deer or three every year. It's a good policy since I mostly hunt alone.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Glock 20 10 MM with 220 grain Buffalo Bores. I can shoot it better than my S&W model 29 in rapid fire.

Its also easier to grab and go with 3 loaded 15 round mags for a quick plane trip or boat ride.

One 10 MM 220 grain might not work but its got 14 friends.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smallfry
If you want a revolver a S&W 686 3" is nice, also a 629 4" regular or mountain gun. Living remote in AK I carried a lot of different guns, even a Redhawk. The heavier the gun the less likely you will want to carry it. I don't feel totally unarmed with a single action but I got into a horrible scrape when I missed very close with a SBH that lead me down a road of double actions and autos. I carry a Glock 23 often.

smallfry, what happened?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Glock 20 10 MM with 220 grain Buffalo Bores. I can shoot it better than my S&W model 29 in rapid fire.

Its also easier to grab and go with 3 loaded 15 round mags for a quick plane trip or boat ride.

That's exactly what I carry when bow hunting in bear country in the lower 48. With the Buffalo Bore 220 gr ammo, I don't feel it would be a bad choice for Alaska either.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MojoHand; 09/15/16.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe

grin

Knee shootin' bastiges...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by FreeMe

grin

Knee shootin' bastiges...

No knees....shoot them in the testicles...they will scream louder and draw predators better

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

That's exactly what I carry when bow hunting in bear country in the lower 48. With the Buffalo Bore 220 gr ammo, I don't feel it would be a bad choice for Alaska either.
Too much gun. All's you need is at most, a 9. A 380 should do, although unproven as of yet.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
obviously I don't live in Alaska, but were I to visit, I'd take this S&W .44 mag mountain gun that I already own. Load would be some of the 270 grain GDSP that I load for my Marlin 1894 rifle. It's a proven load on big hogs.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would not use expanding bullets unless that's all I had.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

This sounds like a very smart, well-reasoned choice.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If I spent time around Grizzlies I'd probably carry a G23. Or more likely, a S&W Shield in 45 ACP or .40 S&W.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'd carry a 480 Alaskan, maybe two.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
If I spent time around Grizzlies I'd probably carry a G23. Or more likely, a S&W Shield in 45 ACP or .40 S&W.

Dave

In that case, what would you have your shield stoked with?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

ŷ.

Put me in the Glock20 10mm camp.
I heard that Swedes that patrol in Greenland are issued those as protection against Polar Bears...I guess they should know.
As a backup a revolver for sure..say a Ruger SRH in 454Casul

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm kinda partial to the 480 srh, something about 400 gr @ 1200 fps that gives me a warm fuzzy. That said I'm likely going to pick up one of the Ruger 4" 45 colt redhawks. Much handier and 330 gr @ 1200 fps isn't much in a drop in balistics.

For a self shucker, a Glock 20 has much appeal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger's 4 inch Redhawk in .45 colt.
I shoot 2 loads in this. One is a 250 gr. SWC with a mild dose of Unique. The other is a 330 gr. GC, wide meplate both are made from wheel weights, with a max dose of H110 which is the bottom end of a Casul load. The second load is quite the handful, but I doubt you would notice it in an adrenaline charged situation.
It is packable, accurate, and you can plink with the first load.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by j2dogs; 09/17/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Penobscot_99

ŷ.

Put me in the Glock20 10mm camp.
I heard that Swedes that patrol in Greenland are issued those as protection against Polar Bears...I guess they should know.
As a backup a revolver for sure..say a Ruger SRH in 454Casul

Swedes?

Greenland belongs to Denmark. Not sure what the Danes would think about Swedes messing with polar bears. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Swedes, Danes - damn near interchangeable!

I'm better when I move.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I only lived in Alaska for 33 years, and had a few incidents with the various animals that will bite or stomp you. Like most gun people I have a number of guns in various calibers that I felt comfortable with. I mostly carried a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. More important than caliber (starting with 44) is the quality of Ammo. I'm VERY confident in the Buffalo Bore ammo LBT. There are other good ammo, that will work but that is what I have the most experience with. Examples of gun that I've carried over the years.
Super Blackhawk 44 Mag
Ruger Redhawk 4" in both 44 Mag and 45 Colt.
Ruger Alaskan in 44 Mag, 454 (that I carried 45 Colt ammo in) and 480. I'm also a believer in something light and handy enough that you will have it with you. Closest incident was a moose that I had the hammer back on and caressing the trigger. I've drawn my gun on several occasions because of bears who were too close. One never knows what's going to come up. For Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUG8UPsgE3U This also shows that full contact isn't necessary to need your gun real bad.

By the way, the Ruger 480 is alive and well, I trust it thoroughly.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
So - ideas on a general hip companion? Thinking stainless, revolver, probably starts with a .4

And to be clear - this is totally bench racing. I'm not living there, not visiting etc - just thinking.

That's my carry.

Manageable w. Buffalo Bore 310s @ 1235 and not undergunned.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MojoHand
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like that chest holster. Have one coming for my Glock 21 on Friday. Should be handy when I'm on the tractor or the utv at our place in Virginia.

I'm better when I move.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yesterday, on one of Paco Kelly's forums, I came across a really good quote on shooting critters with a handgun. I thought that it was worth sharing...

“I have heard it said..."that if you want to eat it, use jacketed hollow points. If it wants to eat you, use hard cast.”

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CraigD
Yesterday, on one of Paco Kelly's forums, I came across a really good quote on shooting critters with a handgun. I thought that it was worth sharing...

“I have heard it said..."that if you want to eat it, use jacketed hollow points. If it wants to eat you, use hard cast.”

Good saying, IMO.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Written by a really stupid person and believed by morons. Why? If you think the goal is to kill a big bear - you're a fool (and likely to show up in the scat). The goal is to stop the attack. A JHP will put a bigger hurt on a critter than hardcast and the critter's attention to turn to the owie and away from you.

Thats the reason bear spray works. Only gays and fuecktards believe they will actually carry a hip cannon that will quickly kill a bear with hardcast.

And Deflave will still be eating Cheetoes out of Craigc's [bleep] while responding.

Last edited by dla; 09/25/16.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dla

Written by a really stupid person and believed by morons. Why? If you think the goal is to kill a big bear - you're a fool (and likely to show up in the scat). The goal is to stop the attack. A JHP will put a bigger hurt on a critter than hardcast and the critter's attention to turn to the owie and away from you.

Thats the reason bear spray works. Only gays and fuecktards believe they will actually carry a hip cannon that will quickly kill a bear with hardcast.

And Deflave will still be eating Cheetoes out of Craigc's [bleep] while responding.

This is the dumbest crap I've read in a long time, infact it is hilarious! Phil Shoemaker a few weeks ago killed a 900 pound bear that charged his fishermen that he was guiding useing hard cast infact he killed the bear with body shots from a 9mm shooting 147 grain hard cast. Folks with experience know that penetration is your friend Phil has over 30 years experience with big bears.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla

Geezzz...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Along with Phil's recent incident, maybe dla should read Larry Kelly's bear story. If I remember correctly, the jacked bullets failed miserably on an attacking bear,which was killed by the guide's .375 H&H. Later using hard cast bullets in the same handgun killed a bear with a single shot. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by memtb
Along with Phil's recent incident, maybe dla should read Larry Kelly's bear story. If I remember correctly, the jacked bullets failed miserably on an attacking bear,which was killed by the guide's .375 H&H. Later using hard cast bullets in the same handgun killed a bear with a single shot. memtb

Yup. at point blank range, he emptied his revolver into the bear. If memory serves me correctly, this was the point at which Larry Kelly went with heavy-for-caliber hardcast bullets. Penetration is your friend.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
not an Alaskan so not speaking from experience but i would go any of the full size offerings from Glock, H&K, SIG, S&W etc that hold 16-18 rounds in 9mm

More bullets, less recoil, faster follow-up shots for me anyways...
I would load these..

Lehigh xtreme penetrators. expensive? yeah but my survival is worth it for that situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYLbmSp5itA

Seems it would penetrate like crazy, while still potentially doing more damage than say an FMJ and like I mentioned 16-18 rounds

Last edited by DAMARA; 09/25/16.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb
maybe dla should read

I think this covers everything nicely....

John Stark.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
dla should post more often. Angry and ignorant are key to contributing to the reasoned discourse found on handgun threads.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by dla

I'm curious how you know this to be true? Extensive field testing on your part? A significant number of bear attacks you've stopped with hollow points? If you have the credentials to back this up we all love to see them.

If it wouldn't be unfair and inhumane to the bear I'd like to see you put your theory into application on video. It would certainly make for some fun viewing for all of us and might even earn you a Darwin Award nomination.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by dla

I'm curious how you know this to be true? Extensive field testing on your part? A significant number of bear attacks you've stopped with hollow points? If you have the credentials to back this up we all love to see them.

If it wouldn't be unfair and inhumane to the bear I'd like to see you put your theory into application on video. It would certainly make for some fun viewing for all of us and might even earn you a Darwin Award nomination.

Classic feucktard response. You have all the non-think the forum will allow and the tiny-penis microminds wave the pom-poms in your support.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Would you mind informing us what state you live in and how many big bears you have encountered?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ironbender
Would you mind informing us what state you live in and how many big bears you have encountered?

He obviously hasn't encountered any, or he wouldn't be writing that BS. He would be the bear scat. But he'd smell like pepper spray. smile

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carried this Ruger super Blackhawk in Alaska on a two week bowhunt for moose. I never needed it but it was reassuring to have it

[Linked Image]

On my next trip into big bear country I'll be carrying this S&W Mountain Gun in a chest rig.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Longhunter_1; 09/27/16.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

He obviously hasn't encountered any, or he wouldn't be writing that BS. He would be the bear scat. But he'd smell like pepper spray. smile

Pepper spray has a better record than handguns. 2x better. Only the tiny-penis crowd thinks otherwise.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1
I carried this Ruger super Blackhawk in Alaska on a two week bowhunt for moose. I never needed it but it was reassuring to have it

[Linked Image]

On my next trip into big bear country I'll be carrying this S&W Mountain Gun in a chest rig.

[Linked Image]

Out come the macho gun with knife pictures - how convincing!

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Typical response from the tiny-penis micro-mind crowd. Too stupid to handle the truth but always willing to sidetrack a subject with irrelevant questions.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dla

Pepper spray has a better record than handguns. 2x better. Only the tiny-penis crowd thinks otherwise.

How many have you pepper sprayed?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just a reality check for the JHP/pissant gun crowd.

Originally Posted by 458Win
Sarge, My family homestead is right in the middle of a National Wildlife Refuge and the incident happened a bit over 5 miles from our home. We know the area, terrain and wildlife and don't feel the need to constantly be armed -- And when we are out the terrain is difficult and carrying something as large as a 475 quickly becomes a burden. something like your SP-101 is alot more likely to be packed.

As I have pointed out to numerous folks about this incident -- if I had known I would have run into an angry bear I wouldn't have even gone. And if I had to I would have taken my 458.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by dla

Typical response from the tiny-penis micro-mind crowd. Too stupid to handle the truth but always willing to sidetrack a subject with irrelevant questions.

OK, I'll try once more to engage you in a reasonable conversation; inspite of your ad hominum reply.

My question is absolutely relevant and by no means a side track.

I'd like to know your experience around 'big bears' with both handgun and spray. Absent that, there is no way to evaluate your post.

I will say that spray seems to have it's place, but the so-called statistics on spray efficacy are easily challenged. It's been done on the 24HCF quite a bit.

Will you be serious and answer the question?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dla

OK, I'll try once more to engage you in a reasonable conversation; inspite of your ad hominum reply.

I'd like to know your experience around 'big bears' with both handgun and spray. Absent that, there is no way to evaluate your post.

I will say that spray seems to have it's place, but the so-called statistics on spray efficacy are easily challenged. It's been done on the 24HCF quite a bit.

And you continue the stupidity. Seriously, why dont you give up your feucktard ways and at least research the issue? You hang out here and mentally masturbate with other retards and ultimately end up with your Zika-head filled with stupid ideas.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
IB, the guy is a know nothing arse hole, that can't defend his position, but he is focused on your penis. I already put him on ignore.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Well 'Christian Ed', I tried. May I call you 'Christian Ed'?

Pretty much a misnomer wouldn't you say?
I have Christian friends and I know Christians. You are no Christian. Furthermore you give Christians a bad name.

Also, I have no need to research the issue as you suggest - I live it.

BTW, you should stick to the cell phone business in Salem, OR. You have probably never seen a bear of any size, let alone a big bear.

You are a first class doosh and f.uc.ktard. You have nothing to contribute of any value.
Buh-bye.

Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

And you continue the stupidity. Seriously, why dont you give up your feucktard ways and at least research the issue? You hang out here and mentally masturbate with other retards and ultimately end up with your Zika-head filled with stupid ideas.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
IB, the guy is a know nothing arse hole, that can't defend his position, but he is focused on your penis. I already put him on ignore.

I thought I'd give him the chance to explain his stupidity.
My bad.

His cyber-bullying is very hurtful and against the law. wink

His homo-erotic fantasies are the stuff to be addressed by a competent therapist.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I knew you bunch of gun pussies would run. Cowards and mental midgets.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think he's off his meds. Sounds like a mental case. Probably a wienie wagger. Kids may be at risk with him off his meds.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I never ceases to amaze me how a simple request for information can degrade to name calling.

Were I to return to Alaska bear country I would carry my Blackhawk in 45 Colt. I may or may not have bear spray. If I did I would choose which to use first depending on conditions.

That is what I would do and that was the question in the OP. The reasoning is I gave a Blackhawk in 45 Cold. I can have and can load some stiff loads approbate for bear and I have practice enough with them to feel comfortable.

Those who do not agree are free to tie be to a shake and burn me verbally so to speak. If they try it for real I would probably resist.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I wonder what Rickbin would think of dla's posts, since this is a family forum?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Peestols? We don't need no steenking peestols!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like the Glock 20 with hard cast solution. Not what I carried when I lived in Alaska, but what I'd carry if I moved/went back.

John Stark.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't even like Cheerios.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dla

Does anyone know where I can get a adjustable stock for my marlin 60???

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a 10% off coupon on the back of a Cheerios box for adjustable Marlin stocks. Enjoy!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm hard pressed to believe Rick Bin approves of dla's posting, on this family forum. He has no business here.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It is very rare for Rick to really give a damn. This is proven time and again.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honestly the way I see it is that trolls stir things up which increases post and hence traffic. More traffic means the sight is more popular and I believe hence more profitable for Rick.

I've found adding the fools to my growing list of those who will be ignored works best for me.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I believe you are spot on. On both counts.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've already got him on ignore. I agree.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by EdM
It is very rare for Rick to really give a damn. This is proven time and again.

I've talk to Rick about things such as this. He gives a damn.

He also believes in freedom.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sticking by my opinion based on the number of retards running loose on the campfire. I'm all for freedom and people expressing their ideas.

But I'm also for filtering out those who only come here to cause strife. Since Rick won't do that, I use the ignore function.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Pretty sure that's why it's there!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Just had a tall box of Cheerios. Craig seems happy.

Lou Ferrigno is awesome.

Nothing further.

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Guns for Alaska...big bears and such. Growlll. Any more?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
On one of my trips to Alaska I carried a Blackhwak in 45 colt with heavy hard cast bullets in a chest rig. When I make it back up there in a few years I may switch to one of the short barreled Redhawks and give that a try.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

I know the typical magazine article will tout some sort of cannon needed as bear defense and while I understand that - I'd have to think most revolvers are carried a lot more than shot and likely never shot into claws and fur or at the least - very rarely. Something you're going to use to plink a bit, targets of opportunity and if necessary - bear/wolf/love sick moose protection...

I have carried 475 Linebaugh, 44 mag, 45 Colt, and 454. All have either 4.75, 4, 5, and 5.5" barrels, are stainless, Hard Cast flat point bullets, some single action & some double action, and carried in a chest type rig. Subject to change, but these are my preferred.

Currently considering a Super Redhawk with a 5" barrel in 480 Ruger. Have not made the purchase and barrel modification. I have a 454 in the Toklat model and really like it. The 480 seems about my ideal in this platform.

Last edited by ldmay375; 09/30/16.
Glock 10mm with quality ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Currently considering a Super Redhawk with a 5" barrel in 480 Ruger. Have not made the purchase and barrel modification. I have a 454 in the Toklat model and really like it. The 480 seems about my ideal in this platform.

Agreed LD. Having shot bitey critters off me, I can tell you you heavy triggers, recoil noise and muzzle blast will scarcely be noticed. A short 480 DA will do it as well as anything and any shot you land well will do all you can expect of a handgun.

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ldmay375
and carried in a chest type rig.

I would guess how you carry is as important as what you carry.

Is there a particular chest rig that has gained favor of those who use them?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FWP

7x Leather is a favorite of mine (www.7xleather.com).

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
A lot of folks up here like this stuff.

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not Alaska here, and the bears are not as big, but the rig I carry when in the woods and not armed with a rifle is a 4.62" SuperBlackhawk loaded with Beartooth 300 grain LFN DCG GC at 1.725" oal.

I carry it in a Diamond D Guide's choice, and it makes carrying my revolver much more comfortable than a hip holster.

The load is accurate and powerful, and though I am not primarily hunting when carrying it, if a decent target of opportunity presents itself, I can take it.

I've sighted numerous bears in the last few years, but they have never been anywhere near any trouble to me. It's the feral dogs that can be troublesome.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by FWP

7x Leather is a favorite of mine (www.7xleather.com).

[Linked Image]

NICE rig there! I've got a El Paso Saddlery Tanker rig for one of my Bisleys. Might have to have one of those 7x leather rigs' too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use the Diamond D. I have several of them. Great people, and are local to me so that is also a plus to me. I have had them make accommodations for a RMR on one revolver, and modifications to their standard product line on another or two.

I have an El Paso Saddlery Tanker for a 4-3/4 Freedom Arms, but use a Diamond D for it. Nice rig, as is the 7x products, and several other makers.

My holsters usually stay wet through-out the moose season, take a muskeg bath or two, and receive little to no maintenance ever (other than wiping off putrid and staining muskeg). If I am not in the tent, the holster is usually on and accessible as possible, not covered by rain gear. I have had very good serviceability from the Diamond D. Definitely not the fanciest but very functional holsters.

To me chest type holsters are a Huge improvement over hip holsters !! They are much more comfortable, allow me to adjust / position the revolver to accommodate bino chest harness and my day pack.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

I have carried 475 Linebaugh, 44 mag, 45 Colt, and 454. All have either 4.75, 4, 5, and 5.5" barrels, are stainless, Hard Cast flat point bullets, some single action & some double action, and carried in a chest type rig. Subject to change, but these are my preferred.

I would, if I still had one or ever purchase another, 41 mag revolver to my carry list with Hard Cast bullets.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
[quote=teal]Currently considering a Super Redhawk with a 5" barrel in 480 Ruger. Have not made the purchase and barrel modification. I have a 454 in the Toklat model and really like it. The 480 seems about my ideal in this platform.

I would, if I still had one or ever purchase another, 41 mag revolver to my carry list with Hard Cast bullets.

Nice to see someone who is "there" also thinks the .41 is up to the task.... It is the one round of some power, other than 10mm in a semi-auto, that I can shoot both fast and accurately... Have had both the .454 and .475 in SA guns and have just found the recoil very unpleasant. Would love to try a Super Redhawk in .480...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It was mentioned but does the S&W 69 work for these needs?

Retired cat herder.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
We all have opinions, and different ones abound in Alaska. My opinion is the 41 Mag is an outstanding round and pleasant to shoot (as a larger bore can be). I do believe the appropriate 250-260ish grain hard cast should penetrate well. And some unfriendly large animals have been killed in timely fashion with less horse power in tense situations.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FlaRick
Originally Posted by MojoHand
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like that chest holster. Have one coming for my Glock 21 on Friday. Should be handy when I'm on the tractor or the utv at our place in Virginia.

Wanted to post a quick review of the Man Gear Alaska chest holster. I wore it yesterday for about 4 hours with a Glock 17 and a spare mag while working on my logging trails. It was very comfortable, kept the pistol and the mag completely secure and easily accessible, and did not impede any of my activities. Would give it 5 stars so far.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an El Paso Tanker and a Diamond D chest rig for a couple handguns. I think I'm gonna order a Man Gear Alaska rig for my 5.5" bull barrel Ruger MK III Hunter. The price is right compared to the other two rigs and Cabela's has them in stock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you get it from Cabelas, make sure it is the latest model.

I'm better when I move.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I hear that argument a lot, but when you are actually walking around where big bears walk, you don't leave your gun at home, or even in the truck.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
During my last stint there, when I did carry a handgun it was a Glock 22 loaded with 180gr cast bullets.

If I was back there tomorrow it would likely be the Glock 23, same load. 40 S&W is about as big as I can go and count on a decent 'double tap'

When I lived in Kodiak, I carried a 7 1/2 Redhawk, but I was 18.

Regardless, it would be a Glock of some flavor. I want to like a 10mm/45 Glock, but they are just enough bigger to not fit me right.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FlaRick
If you get it from Cabelas, make sure it is the latest model.

I see there is a Gen II holster. I'll certainly check it out... I may get one for my 6.5" Ruger Blackhawk .41 also.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the past I've carried this one... FA .454 with 335 hard cast.

[Linked Image]

Funny thing... my wife's family homesteaded Alaska before statehood and aren't overly concerned about bears, but really worried about rattlesnakes when visiting here in Arizona. I'm just the opposite.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I hear that argument a lot, but when you are actually walking around where big bears walk, you don't leave your gun at home, or even in the truck.

Agreed, I've never left a gun in the truck or at home because it was too heavy. Either I pack a gun, typically a 480 srh, or I don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dla

Guess you can count me in the foolish / stupid / moron category when it comes to handguns and bears.
As you can see from this photo my first line of defense is the camera around my neck, then the bear spray in my hand and finally my S&W 44 Mtn Gun with hard cast bullets - in a full flap holster at that.

[Linked Image]

And if all of those fail I still have my ability to "grin them down" just like Davy Crockett

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yikes Phil! How much did that bear skull measure?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't remember exactly which one that is but it looks to be in the high 28's or low 29's. the largest we ever took was measured by F&G at 30 8/16".

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
dla is just an angry lesbian.

Don't bother explaining things to her.

Travis

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well, if you really needed a sidearm for the Yukon, there was always this one available.(next to a standard Colt SAA)
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
dla is just an angry lesbian.

Don't bother explaining things to her.

Travis

Even angry lesbians are entitled to their opinions

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
They usually confine their opinion giving to a few bumper stickers on the back of a Subaru.

Travis

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My only data point is this piece I bought some years ago from an Alaskan fishing guide. He loaded 450 gr SWC's to 1,100 fps. A very low pressure load that is not difficult to shoot well. I bought his entire kit of gun, lanyard, some Buffalo Bore ammo, hundreds of cast bullets, some Belt Mountain solids and a couple of boxes of Alaska Bullet Works jacketed, brass and full Ringler leather. It weighs about what a 6 1/2" M29 does. Whether he knew what he was doing I have no clue.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Fantastic revolver Ed. 475 or 500?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Barrel says 500.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Should have clicked on the pic. Thank you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to load 460's to 1100 fps in my 480, but the load was close to a full pressure load. I know it was a penetrating SOB based on tests done during one of the Linebaugh seminars years ago. But when I found ammo that had been loaded for several years had sticky extraction when fired I went back to a 400 gr @ 1200 fps and sold the mold. Every now and again I debate getting a 440 gr mold cut.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
They call me "the eagle eye."

After they say "that ass hole has..."

Dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
My only data point is this piece I bought some years ago from an Alaskan fishing guide. He loaded 450 gr SWC's to 1,100 fps. A very low pressure load that is not difficult to shoot well. I bought his entire kit of gun, lanyard, some Buffalo Bore ammo, hundreds of cast bullets, some Belt Mountain solids and a couple of boxes of Alaska Bullet Works jacketed, brass and full Ringler leather. It weighs about what a 6 1/2" M29 does. Whether he knew what he was doing I have no clue.

[Linked Image]

I left virtually the exact revolver in 475 laying on my bench the day I had the bear incident and even knowing what I know now would have left it. Not because it would not kill a bear, ( if I was bear hunting with a pistol it would have been my first choice) but becasue of the ability ( under stress) to shoot many shots quickly and the possibility of a pass through hitting other people.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I used to load 460's to 1100 fps in my 480, but the load was close to a full pressure load. I know it was a penetrating SOB based on tests done during one of the Linebaugh seminars years ago. But when I found ammo that had been loaded for several years had sticky extraction when fired I went back to a 400 gr @ 1200 fps and sold the mold. Every now and again I debate getting a 440 gr mold cut.

I agree. But I must have deeper thoughts......

Found a 500 gr mold with handles in the spice drawer.......hell if I know.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,069
Posts18,482,577
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.