Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Friend has asked me to run up to Alberta and pick up a horse.

Looks like I'd be traveling along Hwy 93 from Banff up to Jasper, then over the hill to Valemount BC.

Anyone know what this road is like? What kind of shape is it in?

Thanks in advance. I a m checking weather because I have no desire to drive someone else's truck and trailer on bad roads. But if it looks good, I will be heading out this afternoon.

Montana MOFO
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tarkio
I don't know where you are coming from but if you are in MT or further east I would go up #2 and then str. west to your destination.
If I can help PM me with details. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by northcountry
Tarkio
I don't know where you are coming from but if you are in MT or further east I would go up #2 and then str. west to your destination.

I'm coming from Montana. Coming in south of Lethbridge.

I'm headed over the mountain west of Jasper in to BC there. Hey 2 would add a huge amount of miles going to Edmonton and then west.

Last edited by Tarkio; 09/10/16.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear what you are saying but 93 will be much slower as it is a Mtn. road and the other way is mostly 4 lane. That is what I was think. But each to his own. I use to live and work in western AB so was just giving you my take on what I would do. Good luck and happy trails. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tarkio;
Good afternoon to you sir, I see your light is on, but you may well be on the road and this'll be more than a bit moot.

Here's a link for Alberta road conditions.

http://511.alberta.ca/map.html#x=-12802084&y=6641793&z=1&lb=1&rb=1&l=36

One quick search showed that the 93 is subject to tolls, but I can't find out how much they are - sorry.

The road through the Parks is pretty twisty as I recall it, depending on the horse, truck and trailer combination it might not be my first choice for hauling stock.

Valemont is sorta the end of not much on the way to more of the same, but I think I might be inclined to run up the 2 through Calgary, then turn on the 11 south of Innisfail and go west there.

Again it depends on the trailer and the horse - a big angle haul might be okay through the Parks, but a two horse side by side might slow you down a fair bit - though you'll see that on the way up for sure.

Hopefully that was useful and good luck on your trip whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
The views will be spectacular but the road will be fairly slow. You will also have to pay a "park user fee", about $10 per day per person. An alternative is going thru Rodgers Pass to Kamloops and heading up the Yellowhead to Valemount. Maybe more miles but the road will be faster.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hwy 93 is 80 kph if I remember correctly. Hwy 2 is 110 kph (more like 120-130 the way traffic goes on it...) and it's double lane all the way. As Pat said, 93 has nice scenery but it's twisty, slower max speed, less fuel options, and there is a user fee for it. And you need a national park pass. If you take Yellowhead through the park from Edmonton - Jasper - Valemount you don't need one.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by northcountry
Tarkio

I'm coming from Montana. Coming in south of Lethbridge.

I'm headed over the mountain west of Jasper in to BC there. Hey 2 would add a huge amount of miles going to Edmonton and then west.

You asked for advice, and sound advice was given. While I hate driving Highway 2 from Calgary to Edmonton due to volume, you will not be stuck behind RVs on a mountain Park road. Any added distance is made up for by added speed of travel.

I would take the 4 lane, highway 2, Anthony Henday, Highway 16.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
your travelling and not sight seeing you will take Hwy2 to the Yellowhead and head west over to Valemont. The route through the mountains is all in the park, slow speed limits, and plagued with delays and construction.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Appreciate the input.

I was pulling a trailer with a low-geared truck, so my speed was limited no matter what.

I ended up going on highway 93 from Banff to Jasper. I had never been on that road so it was an added bonus.

I originally asked about the condition of the road, which I found to be in very good condition. Probably was a wash for time all things considered had I redirected around the park.

Trip went well in general. Had a lot of issues come up but non with the weather or roads.

Thanks again.

Montana MOFO
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10Glocks, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,447
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.