Print Thread
Hop To
H
Hookset Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I've got an Interarms Mark X that I had IT&D rebarrel to .308 Norma Mag. It shoots great, but doesn't eject reliably. When he had it, Dave told me that the extractor is the likely culprit. I have a replacement extractor that came off a standard bolt face but rather than screw around trying to tweak it to work, I would rather have it done by a smith who REALLY knows how to make a mauser run well.
Any suggestions on who has the ability and the inclination?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dennis Olsen in Plains, Mt. could do it right.

He did magazine and feed rail work on a 1917 Enfield I had Dave at I.T.& D re-barrel to 338 Lapua Mag. worked perfect.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ejection and extraction are different issues.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim Kobe (jkob here on the campfire) knows Mausers and does good work in a timely manner.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
H
Hookset Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Craigster
Ejection and extraction are different issues.

You are correct.

IC B2

H
Hookset Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
irfubar and mudhen,
Thanks for the input. I'll look into them.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by mudhen
Jim Kobe (jkob here on the campfire) knows Mausers and does good work in a timely manner.

+1

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Well a mauser has a fixed ejector.

1. The extractor can be the culprit if it is letting go of the case before the head hits the ejector blade.

2. The blade ejector may be bent or binding from grease, oil, dirt, rust etc. The blade may have been ground on and now too short.

3. A fixed ejector ejects based on bolt travel and velocity.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hookset
I've got an Interarms Mark X that I had IT&D rebarrel to .308 Norma Mag. It shoots great, but doesn't eject reliably. When he had it, Dave told me that the extractor is the likely culprit. I have a replacement extractor that came off a standard bolt face but rather than screw around trying to tweak it to work, I would rather have it done by a smith who REALLY knows how to make a mauser run well.
Any suggestions on who has the ability and the inclination?

He knew of the problem and didn't do anything about it???

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If Kobe will work on it, he will fix it.

IC B3

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
+1 to all those who recommended Jim Kobe.

He worked on a Whitworth Mauser of mine that had a hitch in the feeding. Smoothed it right up. Quick turn-around excellent work and a fair price. I would use him again without reservation.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I still don't know if his rifle is not extracting the shell or not ejecting the empty shell! Both are simple fix's on the Mauser.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
If Kobe will work on it, he will fix it.

+1

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do almost all my own gunsmithing, but it is too hard for me, Kobe is the answer.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hookset;
Good evening to you sir, I trust that other than having a rifle that doesn't eject always that this finds you well.

We've currently got a couple .308 Normas at our house and have worked on a couple more over the years so I'll offer this.

One of our current rifles was built on a Steyr made 98 action which had the bolt face opened up by the gunsmith who barreled it and then I tuned the extractor and feed rails myself to get it to run properly. We retained the stock ejector and it works perfectly.

If it was me and I had a new ejector, I'd install it and see try it just to see what happens. If you're careful you should not wreck anything and you might well either fix the issue or learn that it isn't the ejector.

Hopefully that was useful information. Good luck with your rifle whichever way you decide and all the best to you this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jim Kobe or Roger Ferrell.

IT&D is great for most standard work as re-barrels, bluing, filling holes, scope mounting, drilling/tapping and they are very skilled at that. But, I don't think specialty work -such as extractor tip and rail work possibly- is their strong suit and Dave probably hinted at that. If they opened up the bolt face properly then the extractor tip needs to be opened up as well not only at the undercut for the new wide rim) but also at the sharp edge next to the case so the tip has only a slight flex with a case in place. If your action's extractor was machined for a .30-'06 type cartridge as many were, then it needs to be tweaked as above to allow for the new case dimensions. Here are the dimensions for '06 and 308 Norma. Look closely at your tip when you slip a round under the tip with the bolt out of the action. The tip should only flex outward by a tiny amount, just enough to hold the cast rim against the other side of the bolt. You'll learn something. Norma rims are very wide.
Rim .473 to .530.
Rim thickness .049 to .048

Last edited by custombolt; 09/26/16.

Life is brief. Treat yourself. You earned it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Remember on a 98 Mauser the bolt release assembly is the ejector. The ejector is fixed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 52 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.