Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Asolo Fugitive GTX.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
What works for one person may not for another. My solution has been to switch 100% to low tops. For me, lace up high tops resist bending at the ankle which turns the upper part of the shoe into a fulcrum forcing my heel back into the back of the shoe with too much force. Low tops allow my ankle to flex so my foot contacts the ground full length and the force of walking remains up on the ball of my foot rather than being transferred to the back of my heel. I haven't worn a shoe that covered my ankle bone or higher in about 4 years. Even in snow, I find that waterproof low tops, good socks, and properly fit gaiters keep me just as dry and more warm than boots.

Something to think about. YMMV of course.

How much time 'til your hunt? Do you have time to experiment?

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Not surprised, this is a common issue with Kenetreks. I had the same problem and moved on to Lowa Tibet Pros.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ctsmith
prm, I've been thinking about the Salomon Quest 4D and will probably try some due to really good pricing right now ($149 on Amazon) but the below quote has me hesitate for my current purpose. I will be hunting exactly the same terrain this November. I've been there recently (January of this year), a little below coues elevation, and it can be very very tough on boots and body. Me and the Kenetreks held up great, a lesser boot would concern me, but on one very steep climb I got hotspots (no tape) which is when the worry started to build. I will be doing those steep climbs multiple times per day with more weight on the next go.

Meanwhile, the border crossers are proficient on those mountains wearing tennis shoes. LOL

I have owned a lot of boots that everyone says buy, great boots, even tried a pair of custom made russels , anyway the meindel perfekt gave me the less blisters than all the popular boots, but would still blister,
the salomon quest I have been wearing for the last 4 months and just finished 7 days in the step mountains of central Idaho, with darn tuff hiker socks no liners, not one hot spot or blister, toes suffered a little on the steep downhill under 80 lb pack,, I will be buying more that's for sure,

Originally Posted by STS45
The Salomon 4D GTX is hands down the most comfortable boot I have worn. It is an excellent boot. The only time I wished I had something stiffer was when I was hunting coues deer literally RIGHT on the border with GregW. We were climbing a super steep rocky nasty tough mountain and the Salomon's had too much flex. The terrain was so steep and rocky I felt my feet where moving and slipping in the boot.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Crispi Nevadas came in today. I'm very fortunate, the fit could not be any better.

The difference that I noticed immediately between the Hardscrable and the Nevada is that the Nevada has more of a natural bend in the toe area. I have a feeling this alone will greatly reduce heel slippage.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Pard, if you are going after Coues anywhere I've ever hunted them, steep will be your daily bread.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RickBin
Asolo Fugitive GTX.

These if they fit.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm new to the steep stuff. The Nevadas seem up to the task. Am I wrong?

Also, what are the negatives of less forefoot midsole stiffness, as in the Nevadas?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Unless you wear crampons, I think stiffness is vastly over=rated. I don't like stiff boots.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I hunt coues many days a year. I have Hardscrabbles or Hardscrabble lites (can't remember which) Once broken in, I have no hot spots with them. The first two pairs didn't last more than an outing or two but this pair is a good boot. I don't like boots higher than about 7-8". I had good service from Meindl Alaskas but they wear out too quickly. The Perfekts are flimsy compared to the others.

Arizona coues country is very hard on boots. It is, however, typically dry.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They heavier the load, rougher and steeper the terrain, the more important a stiff sole is to me. Everyone's feet are different I suppose, but that's what has worked for me and kept my feet going on long hunts.

I'll be packing in 55 pounds or so wearing stiff soled Asolos come Nov. 3rd for my 7 day Coues hunting adventure, best of luck on yours.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
If I knew that I could survive 7 days blisterless with stiff soles, they'd be a slam dunk, but I'm not sure of that. As it stands I'm leaning towards a less stiff sole without the risk of blisters. The Nevada's have more ankle support than the Hardscrables, so good there.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Clint, how flexible are the Nevada boots. What would you compare them to. Do they just flex at the ball. I am wanting some with some flex and it sounds like those might fit my feet, normal to wide on the fronts with narrow heels.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's a lot of disagreement about "ankle support." Many believe not allowing the ankles free range of motion ultimately makes it more prone to injury by not allowing movement (and thereby strengthening). I also think "stiffness" belongs in the same discussion, as overly stiff boots also limit the ankles free or natural range of motion.

I'm 55 and have had ankle support preached at me my whole life. Recently however I started to rethink it. This summer I decided to use lightweight low hikers on a week long backpack here in Montana's Beartooths. Eureka. I doubt I'll ever use boots on a summer backpack again. Talk about more comfortable, and less fatigue.

A lot of what I did on the trip was close to the hardest backcountry hunting I do, including sidestepping on super steep, off trail climbs, including steep scree slopes and rock fields.

Stiff boots are made for crampons. I'm just not a believer they're necessary, or even desirable, for non-technical climbing. And most mountain hunting falls into the latter category.

I'll still be using mid or tall boots for my hunting, primarily because of insulation/foot protection (a hard surface surrounding the foot). But given the right warm conditions I believe I'd have no issues using low hikers with a good sole.

This is an ongoing discovery for me, and the end of the book is not yet written. I just know I'm no different than anyone else and am just as subject to "group-think" as the next guy if I don't make an effort to think a new thought/try something different.

A few rambling thoughts this Sunday morning...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Where stiff boots shine, at least for me, are protection for past ankle & foot injuries.

Really stout boots like the Lowa Tibet Hi and the Hanwag get me into the high country--both are Godsends...for me.

Used the Lowa uninsulated this August for the first time. A little stouter than the Hanwag, I believe

Prefer a lower boot and also employ an Asolo for flatter climes--but the high tops do a better job of stabilizing in rough steep country

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
It seems like the stiff sole boots aggravate my PF more than flexible soles. I also am fighting bursitis in my heel which I find no cure for. I am leaning towards support with cushioning.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
these helped me cushion-wise...bit pricey

lathrop footbeds

Defend the Constitution
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I prefer some sole protection and other than that the most flexible shoe / boot available. I only really want a boot when I am trying to keep my feet dry. If someone made a grippy, lightly soled, full grain upper (longevity) , I'd order them tomorrow. Otherwise, its just grippy hiking shoes, for most mountain environments and replace them every 6 months. I do prefer boots in the cactus, but that is the only place in dry conditions I will seek them out.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These type threads always interest me, as like a lot of us I too seem to always be in search of the elusive "perfect boot".

One thing that resonates in these threads is the fact that we all have very different needs in a boot. I have a wide foot up front with a normal heel. I have old ankle injuries that require a certain amount of support.

My newest boot is the Lowa Camino GTX. I have taken the time to pursue the best size and have taken advantage of the Wide offering from the company. I have worked out with a pack some while wearing them and it's looking good so far.

I would love to try the Salomon Quest 4D but unfortunately they don't offer wide boots.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Clint, how flexible are the Nevada boots. What would you compare them to. Do they just flex at the ball. I am wanting some with some flex and it sounds like those might fit my feet, normal to wide on the fronts with narrow heels.

Yes, they only flex at the ball of your foot. Its hard for me to compare because I've only ran kenetrek hardscrables for the last 10 years. Based on what you are saying, I definitely suggest giving them a try.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,276
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.