Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My partners and I have drawn antelope and elk tags and deer tags are OTC. Antelope here is very difficult to draw and we haven't drawn in 23 years. I'm the youngest of the crowd at 68. The other guys are 71 and 72. Both have leg problems and I'm thinking that this might be our last good season before they both have to drop out. I'm in pretty good shape but that can change fast, literally overnight for some people.
The antelope hunting will be easy as it's flat land and the off road vehicle laws are fairly liberal. We can't shoot from my UTV so that's spot and hike, but we can get almost anywhere out there to pack one out.
The deer and elk hunting are another matter. I have llamas to pack the meat but this country is as steep as it comes. It's a hard place to hunt for young legs, let alone old ones.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Just need the desire to go.I'm older than any of them,but you are right, things can change fast

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How quickly one can go from "the body is willing, but the mind is weak" to the "mind is willing, but the body is weak" blush

Life ain't fair!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My heart decided it would end my Elk Hunting and no matter what the mind thinks my heart will not cooperate. I do miss the high country.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Just need the desire to go.I'm older than any of them,but you are right, things can change fast
The desire's there but if your knees can't take it, there isn't much you can do about it.

― George Orwell

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The desire's there but if your knees can't take it, there isn't much you can do about it.

Get them fixed, try some of those gel injections, or find something you can ride and not lead or see if your state has some special accomadation for handicapped

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/18/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Actually, Idaho does accommodate handcapped hunters. However, where we hunt, no accommodation other than a horse can help. No motorized vehicles can get in there. They'll have to hoof it or stay home.

One of them has a small commercial orchard. He spends lots of time on ladders pruning, thinning, and picking. I think the ladder is the cause of his knee problems. It puts a lot of stain on them that you don't get on the ground.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just when you're figuring stuff out, old age comes ...

Ugh. Good luck anyway!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wish you the best of seasons. Take lots of pictures for us!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Is that the only place you can hunt? Sometimes you have to make changes to keep it going. A few years ago,I thought I was done hunting, but I gave it some serious contemplating an found some ways to make it work..I can't do the pack in hunts any more,of crawl thru the thick timber.I do a lot more sitting,but still kill elk.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

What area did you draw? I drew a 45 rifle antelope tag.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very best of luck ! Age is tough, but a lot of my pals areNOT hunting!! Enjoy!u

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Akbob5

What area did you draw? I drew a 45 rifle antelope tag.
We have antelope in 52 and elk in 48. 48's the tough one. Dang there's some steep stuff in there. We apply for cow tags there because it's one of the easiest draws to get. We draw about 2 out of 3 years.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
RockChuck:

Less than a month away from 70 here. Everything still works (back, muscles, digestive system, etc), but the realization that I'm closer to the back end than the front is starting to surface here too. One of the tough parts now is finding others willing to go. Seem to be doing more stuff solo now.

Best of luck to you and your buddies, and savor every moment. Even the small ones.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I can sure agree that it's harder to find someone to go with. There's nothing I like better than to load up my llamas and go spend a couple days fishing a lake 5 miles back but it's a real trick to find someone willing to go with me, especially someone retired so we don't have to rush back to work.
Last month I took a small group of boy scouts to some lakes 5 miles back. Because of leaders work schedules, we had to go in one day and back out the next. We didn't even have time to fish. That's not the way to go packing.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I admire all of you guys. I am 62 and have recently realized that my days afield are not endless. I truly hope I can go till 70 (and more). Definitely a year to year proposition for now on. I do go to the gym every day at lunch and think that has been my saving grace.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
One of the things that got me going was back when I was in my40's, Im started to think about how many elk seasons I had left in me.

Believe me ,when you put number on it, it gets scary and they go faster and faster.

That is why,in the last ten years or so, with Colorado offering two elk tags, I go two seasons a year . I have not missed an elk season for over 40 years ,so I figure I am ahead of the game with those two season years.

Many years,I had to go it alone, but I amg lad I did rather than sitting them out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like Dirty Harry said "a man has to know his limitations."
I had intended 2015 to be my last year moose hunting. Certain circumstances changed this and I am going again this year. This definitely will be the last.
I am 80 now and have been fortunate to have a big willing s-I-l to handle the heavy lifting. Without having younger people coming along many groups have to quit earlier than they want to. One of my buddies will be 82 this week end when we leave to go hunting. He has been luckier than most to continue his hunting career.
In the last couple of years the deterioration of my hips has been the greatest problem. Can no longer bend or kneel for any length of time. Things that used to be so easy I never thought about them are now difficult to impossible.
As usual things are still better than the alternative.

Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You guys are an inspiration. Like my son always tells me, never stop moving!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I began to hunt elk I was next to the youngest in our party of 6. Today I am the oldest. Back in the day I was the most athletic, and the poorest (I remember hunting elk for several years before I could afford a scope for my rifle).
These days I hardly need an excuse to add another rifle and I own too much equipment to bring and I must choose whether the canvas tent, camper, ATV, trailer w/ horses is best suited for the hunt.

Throughout the decades I had always invited young men (fresh legs) on our hunts. Some moved on but some returned year after year to form the core of our hunting party. It has been my privilege to introduce about 8 young men to the hunt. Today they sometimes discuss when their boys will be old enough to join the hunt.

Roles change too. I used to be the point man - the scout - I always found 'em but someone else always seemed to kill them. Later, during my best years, I was the ramrod for the group. These days I am the camp cookie, bottle washer and grouch, and strategist. I care about everyone else's hunting success more than mine but oddly enough I still do pretty well.

It's sad when an elk hunter hangs up his gun. The locations of the kills of that older generation live on in the lore of our campfire. We remember their experiences and sometimes their misadventures. I hope I still have many years remaining but at times I don't feel like it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 59 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,435
Posts18,470,821
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.