Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I read a few past threads and just wondering what your thoughts are on the true pros/cons of each type? Main use will be glassing for big game from both below and above.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is easier to find the exact spot with a straight scope...

For really long glassing sessions it is easier to find a comfortable position with the angled...

I prefer to put up with struggling to get comfortable and use straight scopes. Most disagree with that position. I have seen many times where I was able to get the scope on critters far faster than any one else and that is the trade-off I prefer.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you're up high looking down, and there's no cover to break up your outline (in other words skylined) your profile is higher with an angled scope.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
If you're up high looking down, and there's no cover to break up your outline (in other words skylined) your profile is higher with an angled scope.

Except if you turn it to the side, or even turn it down. I personally would never buy a straight scope. I feel you should adjust the scope to your position, not the position to a fixed scope. I think it is way easier to get beside a scope in prone or sitting than behind a straight scope.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What tripod are you using that allows you to turn the scope on its side, or down?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More likely the collar on the scope.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The collar on my Minox doesn't rotate.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Use both, no big deal. Just a tool and adapt!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Add up the pros and cons of each and the angled ends up the winner every time.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by smokepole
What tripod are you using that allows you to turn the scope on its side, or down?

If your scope doesn't have a ring, you can make it happen with a ballhead type tripod head.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I switched from straight to angled. Prefer the angled.

Pro's with the angled;

- lower tripod height, helps in the wind, and profile.
- easier looking up the hill.
- you can pan a wide amount without moving yourself, or your tripod, just rotate the eyepiece.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

For really long glassing sessions it is easier to find a comfortable position with the angled...

I prefer to put up with struggling to get comfortable and use straight scopes. Most disagree with that position. I have seen many times where I was able to get the scope on critters far faster than any one else and that is the trade-off I prefer.

+1

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

+1

+2.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I thought that the straight might win out if I spot from the truck with a window mount and/or take up less space if I pack into a wilderness area?

I will try the straight one and maybe return it if it doesn't perform the way I like this season. Thinking about the Swarovski.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

+1

+2.

Make that +3

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like mine any ol way...here I'm laying on a rock side ways....using a ball head and a kick stand

The tripod makes a good spotter better

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For long-term serious glassing sessions a high-quality pan head makes life much easier. I stepped up to a high-end Manfroto video head for moose hunting this year and believe I have "found it" at last.

With a huge Vortex tripod and big scope the stuff stays put and adjusts in any increment desired extremely smoothly at any speed.

I have seen too many completely lost trying to find something in an angled scope, only to find it instantly with the straight scope to believe that advantage is not real...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another thing... the tripod can make or break the set-up. I am 6'4" and tripods do not come in my size. The angled is more comfortable to use standing up. Serious glassing does not usually involve standing up.

Hanging weight from the bottom of the tripod stem on the hook usually provided makes the whole thing a lot more stable.

The idiot idea of stabilizing the legs down low does not work anything like as well because it allows everything above the weight to vibrate in lightweight tripods. The hook puts the weight in the right place pulling in the right direction.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't glass with a spotting scope, I simply use a spotting scope to see how big animals are that have been spotted with my binos. In that situation I want to get on the animals quickly and easily. the angled is totally unnatural for me that way. at the range or in a situation where speed doesn't matter angled probably is better.

apparently angled is a better seller, doug says he sells angled 5 to 2 over straight. I would not buy an angled scope for me personally.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
A couple of good posts by Sitka Deer. The tripod and head is a whole nuther conversation in and of itself.

I will say a Crown Royal bag full of rocks hung makes for a good tripod stabilizer. Sure you can use a small stuff sack from Wally World, but hey, have a little class!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 52 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,405
Posts18,470,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.