-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hello, I'm completely inexperienced with muzzle loaders, but looking to get in to the sport. I basically want to find a good quality but plain Jane working rifle. I want to go with a percussion but am willing to go with a flint if need be. I prefer Eastern styled rifles to Western styled ones. Whether it is production or custom doesn't matter to me, but it needs to be quality. I'm willing to spend what it takes, but if the price were to be from $1000 to $1600 that would be preferred. I'd prefer a pre-finished and assembled rifle, but am willing to go with a kit. Lastly, I want something with a big bore, 62 or 58 caliber preferably. This rifle would be for elk, and hopefully one day black bear.
Thanks.
Anybody know anything about Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders?

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
$1000 + will get you a lot of bells and whistles and you certainly don't need 58-62 cal for elk. Most use 50 as I do with very god results.

Don' know what you mean by eastern vs western rifles, unless you are referring to inlines vs side locks

If you want a plain jane ,you can get a decent Thompson Center Impact in line for less than $ 400. Accessories for any ML will run $50 or so.

The TC Hawkins or Seneca,CVA's or Lyman Plains rifle will all do what you want to do.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stick_Man
Hello, I'm completely inexperienced with muzzle loaders, but looking to get in to the sport. I basically want to find a good quality but plain Jane working rifle. I want to go with a percussion but am willing to go with a flint if need be. I prefer Eastern styled rifles to Western styled ones. Whether it is production or custom doesn't matter to me, but it needs to be quality. I'm willing to spend what it takes, but if the price were to be from $1000 to $1600 that would be preferred. I'd prefer a pre-finished and assembled rifle, but am willing to go with a kit. Lastly, I want something with a big bore, 62 or 58 caliber preferably. This rifle would be for elk, and hopefully one day black bear.
Thanks.
Anybody anything about Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders?

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Category.aspx/588

You can't go wrong with this company

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Take a gander at Track of the Wolf's website. They offer all the parts for building any style you want, as well as kits and a few complete guns. If nothing else it'll give you an idea of what's out there.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
OP Offline
S
"Don't know what you mean by eastern vs western rifles, unless you are referring to inlines vs side locks"

I guess I mean Pennsylvania and Kentucky long rifles as opposed to Hawkins and plains rifles. I can live with any style, but thought that the Eastern long rifle looks the best.
Lot of good stuff at Track of the Wolf. Both their kits and the complete guns they have. I'm seeing a few good looking guns in my price range, .54 caliber (which I'd be happy with), and with appropriately slow twist rates.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another avenue would to buy a kit from Jim Chambers.
He has nothing but top drawer parts, and have someone like
Captchee put it together for you.
Captchee is a member here and on Traditional Muzzeleloading Association.
I can attest to his work and it is excellent.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You might frequent this site. Lot of god info.

http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everybody has different ideas of course. This company puts out good quality muzzleloaders in a variety of styles. An early Virginian in 58 might work for you.

I prefer a half stock rifle, but may get a Leman in 54 for shooting roundballs at elk from them.

http://www.tennesseevalleymuzzleloading.com/

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
While you don't NEED a 58 or 62, there's no reason you can't WANT one!

smile

I love my 62. Just fun to shoot and extremely effective on game.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've got a Jim Gefroh .62 caliber English Game Gun for $800.00.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I bought because it was pretty. I haven't shot it much.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like that. Sweet

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You can see my 62 here.

It really makes you grin when you send a 324gr ball down the bore. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,306
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.