Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I shot an elk in a tough spot 4 years ago. You could have watched me do it from the highway but I was a mile away as the crow flies and 2000' higher. It took me a couple hours to climb up there. I doubt I could do it now. I doubt that I'd have tried it then if I hadn't had my llamas to get it out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Well said Alamosa. Your experiences mirror mine. I have been helping a young fellow from Nebraska that I don't know personally,but I have steered him into one of the honey holes I hunted in the past.I gave it as it is too far back in a and rough for me.He came out to resupply after a weeks hunting and told me the elk were right where I pointed him and it is the best hunt he has ever done.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We have a young (50ish) minister that hunts with us 3 geezers. He's too impatient to hunt elk, though. He covers too much ground without looking. About 3 years ago, he gave up and headed home. That afternoon, we had some good snow and that evening the elk appeared as if from nowhere. We found 2 herds right along the road. I got in cell phone range and sent him a text when he was only 50 miles away but he didn't come back. Early the next morning we tagged out. He missed out because he gave up too early.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Good luck Rock Chuck (and the rest of you fellas). Hoping to shoot a decent antelope fairly close to home, heck might even be an evening hunt if I find the right one close enough!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
thanks all of you for sharing.

I leave for 1st rifle in a week. I'm 43, and my dad is 63. he's slowed down a bit, but still got fuel in the tank.

our seasons are all numbered. make the most of those you have left, and have had.

Godspeed, all.

shane

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Good luck on the elk this season oldtimers.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm 79 and still have the urge but have learned to temper it somewhat. Its amazing what you can accomplish by just slowing down some. By this I mean not racing up the hill but taking it one step at a time. My Daughter and Son-in-law and two Granddaughters from my other Daughter all hunt and keep me going. Turkey hunting we move a lot but Deer and Hogs we mostly sit. I think the important thing is if you have the desire at least try and do it. Years ago I hunted with a fellow who was 94 years old and still had the desire and spark to do it. To top it off he got a Buck on that hunt. Whats the old saying, where there's a will there's a way.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm 68 and can still do pretty much everything I ever could, just get tired out a little sooner these days. I take my inspiration from my buddy Joe, 89 now and still going, as recently as two years ago he was doing two wilderness hunting trips every fall. He puts down enough bourbon to kill me....damn! I want to be just like Joe if I ever grow up.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,727
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.