Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I guess I'm missing your point...
John

How can I say I am sorry?
I just wanted to mention the DIY Custom I was building with some of the same parts.
That was inappropriate I guess.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I see. I suppose that's what's left of the bedding block in my H.S. But it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects. I'm not touting the HS stock. It is just what was available and the price, given it included the bottom metal too, was right. I do like the stealth/mag combo. Feeds very well and is very convenient.

I didn't even bed the action because I wanted to see how well a bolt together rig could shoot. I was both surprised and pleased at how well it did. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. I spoke with Tom Manners about their mini chassis a few years ago and he said they observed no more than a .1 MOA change in grouping between one of their mini-chassis stocks and one with pillar/epoxy bedding. I had a Manners EH2 with mini chassis for a while and could detect no difference in how my Stiller/Brux .308 shot in it or in the pillar/epoxy bedded McMillan it came with.

All this is to say that for something short of a full blown benchrest rig, a DIY bolt together rifle may not give up much to a more expensive rig that was lovingly put together by a top name 'smith.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
John,

That looks like a nice package and certainly has my wheels turning.

Is the DGR different than the Stiller branded actions in any way besides the Savage threads and the bolt head? Would this process be any different if you did it with a Stiller (or other Rem clone action) and a Remage barrel and nut? Along with a new hunting rifle build I have a Defiance on my competition rifle and the barrels need swapped pretty often on it.

Also, what was Northland's turn time on their barrel?

Thanks,
Carl

Empirical results rule!
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Carl,

As near as I can tell, the DGR is, as you say, the same as the Predator but with the floating bolt head. As long as the Predator takes standard Remington threads, a Remage setup should be easy.

Northland's delivery wasn't too bad but I think it depends on when he gets a shipment in. I believe he orders in batches and if your order closely coincides with a shipment you are good to go. IIRC, mine was about two weeks.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can confirm that the Predator action is compatible with Rem-age barrels from first hand experience.

You do have to be careful and verify that other actions will or won't work. Just because an action is billed as a Remington Clone, the bolt head and recess can be different and will not work with a Remage barrel.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Copy Tackdriver and John, and thank you.

Empirical results rule!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John,

Very well done!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for that writeup and pics! For the longest time I've been enamored with the idea of a DIY switch barrel set up. May just have to take that plunge. Well done.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
This thread (and others in the same vein), shows how great the change has been in the industry since I started gunsmithing back in the seventies. The abundance of parts, services and expertise which allows the hobbyist to put together just what he wants is just great.Of course, back in the day, there were also parts available but the focus was entirely different. Back then, people would buy a barreled action from, Sako, Flaigs, Herters, etc. and add a stock from Fajen or Bishop. A different approach, to be sure, but today's methods and results plainly offer the same rewards.
Nice outfit and great results. GD

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Latest upgrade to my DIY Long Range Rig. MPA BA Lite in black bronze.

John

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice setup, well done! It really is incredible what one can do with all the different parts and combinations available nowadays.

The pro I shot with at the GAP Grind shot an almost exact setup as this, except his was in 6.5 creed and the scope was a Leupold MK6. He finished just outside the top 10, smoking rigs costing 3 times as much!

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks really sweet.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Bump for latest range report. Shot this 4 shot group at 100 a couple of afternoons ago. Still amazed that a complete bolt together DIY rig can shoot this well. I highly encourage those considering a custom rifle to consider a DIY.

John

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hondo64d

You mentioned the Shilen DGR action in a separate thread that I have going, so I thought this would be the appropriate place to inquire about your DGR action.

Is the action cut for the Wyatts Box like the predator?

Is the port size the same as the Stiller Predator?

You may have me convinced to try the DGR, just maybe.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I don't remember if the DGR is cut for a Wyatt box or not. I've only run AICS type DBMs in mine and never tried an internal box. Since the action is made by Stiller and is a Predator footprint, I suspect it is cut for the Wyatt box, but I rcommend you call Shilen or Stiller to be sure.

The port size appears to match the Predator.

I am extremely pleased with my DGR.

http://shilen.com/productsCompleteRifles.html

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 02/24/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool, John! Thanks for the informative thread. May try one someday.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 3,169 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,263
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.