Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I was speaking of .38 Special target wadcutters. Back in the day, cops routinely shot these at the range, often provided for them. As suggested by the other poster, this was later frowned upon, and for good reason. The difference is extreme between felt recoil of these and .357 Magnum loads.

By 1980 bigger metro departments were qualifying with what they carried on duty.
By then things had already changed.

It was this change, by the way, that found the flaws in the S&W K-Frame .357 Magnums, which were never intended to consume a regular diet of Magnums. The idea was to practice with .38 Special, and even carry defensive loads in .38, but also be equipped with Magnums in case a situation called for it, such as a road block.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was speaking of .38 Special target wadcutters. Back in the day, cops routinely shot these at the range, often provided for them. As suggested by the other poster, this was later frowned upon, and for good reason. The difference is extreme between felt recoil of these and .357 Magnum loads.

By 1980 bigger metro departments were qualifying with what they carried on duty.

It was this change, by the way, that found the flaws in the S&W K-Frame .357 Magnums, which were never intended to consume a regular diet of Magnums. The idea was to practice with .38 Special, and even carry defensive loads in .38, but also be equipped with Magnums in case a situation called for it, such as a road block.

Split forcing cones, and cracked frames at the barrel threads on the underside where the crane sat. Even departments that used .38 Special +P's would eventually crack frames if they were shot enough. Colt had the same issue with +P's.

The K frame was perfect for .38 Special and you can even say that for .38 Special +P, but it really is marginal for .357 magnum. They really should be shot about 80/20 special/magnum. Still, warts and all the M19 is one of my favorite handguns of all time.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Still, warts and all the M19 is one of my favorite handguns of all time.
Sure. That and the 13.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U

Split forcing cones, and cracked frames at the barrel threads on the underside where the crane sat. Even departments that used .38 Special +P's would eventually crack frames if they were shot enough. Colt had the same issue with +P's.

The K frame was perfect for .38 Special and you can even say that for .38 Special +P, but it really is marginal for .357 magnum. They really should be shot about 80/20 special/magnum. Still, warts and all the M19 is one of my favorite handguns of all time.

So, are you guys saying it took from 1957 to 1980 to find "flaws" with the Model 19? You are getting your cause and effect all messed up. Funny how the cracked forcing cones started showing up at the same time the hot 125gr Magnum loads showed up. While S&W suggested a mix of .38 Special and .357 Magnum loads to reduce wear and tear on the Model 19, the forcing cone problem is not caused by normal 158gr .357 Magnum ammo.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by USSR1991

So, are you guys saying it took from 1957 to 1980 to find "flaws" with the Model 19? You are getting your cause and effect all messed up. Funny how the cracked forcing cones started showing up at the same time the hot 125gr Magnum loads showed up. While S&W suggested a mix of .38 Special and .357 Magnum loads to reduce wear and tear on the Model 19, the forcing cone problem is not caused by normal 158gr .357 Magnum ammo.

Don
You're correct. The main culprit in the forcing cone problem was indeed the 125 grain round, not the original 158 grainers.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There's nothing wrong with the Model 19 period.

Ever.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave

Ever.

Travis
Yep, used within design parameters. I've got one and like it a lot. I don't believe I've ever fired Magnums from it, though.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Ever.

Travis

Yes there is.....

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

. Funny how the cracked forcing cones started showing up at the same time the hot 125gr Magnum loads showed up. While S&W suggested a mix of .38 Special and .357 Magnum loads to reduce wear and tear on the Model 19, the forcing cone problem is not caused by normal 158gr .357 Magnum ammo.

Don

Spot on! Could not agree more.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Ever.

Travis
Yep, used within design parameters. I've got one and like it a lot. I don't believe I've ever fired Magnums from it, though.

I shoot nothing but 158 grain magnums in my model 19's and I love them

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Ever.

Travis

Yes there is.....

Uh, we're talking about the Smith and Wesson Model 19, not the Glock Model 19. grin

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Ever.

Travis

Yes there is.....

Uh, we're talking about the Smith and Wesson Model 19, not the Glock Model 19. grin

Don

I know that stupid

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Ever.

Travis

Yes there is.....

NO!

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
True that about those .357 125gr loads.

There is a lot of powder in those .357 125gr loads. Early factory .357 ammunition was a lot hotter than it is now.Winchester sold more .357 ammunition than anyone else. The Winchester Small Pistol Magnum primers are very hot. Since they all used their ball powders. In the older loading manuals, they would state- "if using the Win SPM primer, reduce your loads by 10%" at least. Which is a good idea with changing any primer, but they called out the Winchester SP magnum primer by name.

Primers burn a lot hotter than powder. The cylinder gap in revolvers introduced O2 to the burning of the load. There you have it.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Ever.

Travis

Yes there is.....

NO!

Clark

YES!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I prefer the .45 ACP...just because. Last handgun purchase, I went to buy a Glock 43 for everyday carry and came home with a Springfield XDS in .45 ACP. It just seemed better for what I think that I need.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

I have more than one of these. The first one was acquired in the mid 70's and i have fired thousands the good Lord only knows 38special out or it. In all that time maybe one box of 357magnum, and those were 158grain. Gun is still tight as a drum.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

YES!!!!

I'll put this set of magnas right into your yambag!

Clark

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

YES!!!!

I'll put this set of magnas right into your yambag!

Clark

There are problems with magnas too Dave....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not for people that can shoot.

Dave

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.