Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
CEJ

I have best luck with aluminum mil contract 20 round mags. Buy used in larger lots from places like AR15.com in the for sale forums, or check competition shooting links for opportunities.

30 rounders have given me more headaches, and are bulkier to me and more in the way. IMHO. Mil contract aluminum body with metal followers are all I use. Colt name in mags means nothing, though they are good, IE not worth extra money because of the name, only to name value.

There is one brand of mags that are aftermarket that I'm impressed with, make 6.8 mags with great followers, just can't recall the name right now though there were around 40ish bucks each.

BTW if you buy a bunch a few may not work but can usually be tweaked around again. Look for cracks around the feed lips or dented/swelled bodies as bad things. While the AWB is toast, if you have any inclination buy all you can while they are cheaper. I usually found lots of 10-20 at 10-15 bucks each on 20s when the AWB was still alive. Have more than I need so don't know the new costs.

Tech manuals. Don't buy one from Fulton Armory. More like Black Magic by Feamster or the AR books by Martin. Have more than you need to know there. Add a mil spec Marine manual(don't know the number off hand) and you'll have all you need to know for assembly/troubleshooting.

Past that shoot your trouble questions here or other forums and most times you'll find the problem shortly.

PM works for me too if needed.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate all the information that you and everyone here has given me on this subject. The 20 rounders and 5 rounders just seem more useful to me. I've been thinking that if I was going to ever scratch this AR itch that I'd better do it now before the AWB gets put back into effect! I'm in negotiations for either a RRA Coyote or Predator rifle from a dealer here and one on Gunbroker. Either one will help me put a dent in the yote numbers up at my hunting partners camp in Maine. Thanks again! CEJ..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The coyote looks like serious fun!

Terry

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have found good and cheap mags from C-products.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
blammer - I was checking them out yesterday. Midway's got the AR-15 Stoner 20 round mags on sale for 9.99 until the 31st.

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Most likely the 6.8 mags were made by PRI, I don't think they make a .223 mag I'll have to check my catalog but they do make a good 6.8 mag.

I agree that mil contract 20 rounders are the best out there, I bought some new Colts on closeout for cheap, with a plastic follower that I swapped out for a metal one.

I was impressed with the C products 30 round mags from Denny at Global Tactical, aluminum body, Magpul followers and chrome silicon springs for around $10.00 ea. the Magpul followers are the only ones I'd use in a 30 round mag, had zero trouble with them.

edit to add, with Denny an order over $50.00 ships free and I checked my PRI catalog and they don't show a .223 mag just in case it was the brand Jeff was thinking of.

Last edited by TWR; 12/19/06.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
PRI, I believe you are correct. They are for my 6mm woa not 223 so they may not make 223 mags.

Will have to check out the C products, 30 rounders at 10 bucks each for SHTF situations wouldn't be really bad at all.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

I got a bunch of the C Products mags also. They are gaining a pretty good rep it seems. They have kits to upgrade older mags with the gen II Magpul anti-tilt followers too.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
rost495 - I'd like to ask you a couple of questions if I may - What brand of AR magazines do you prefer and what size is more useful, the 20 round or the 30's? Is there a good source for buying them? Could you recommend a good technical manual for the AR type rifles? Thanks! CEJ..

c products mags are top quality.

N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Jeff's right about most things...pushing the 20 rounders being one of them.

You brought up a good point however and one I've been focused on for sometime (purchase wise). Definitely get several 20's, but get what 30's you can too...if limitations are imposed, bets are that 30 rounders will be a no-no.

The next ban (heaven forbid), even though the first was way to long, will not be any shorter.....

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,707
Posts18,513,889
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.