Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Got a bunch of different head stamped brass for my new Kimber Montana in 270 Win. I was curious how big a difference it would make in load development.

Thanks

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A lot, sort by head stamp and go with the biggest lot, that way you can be a bit more picky as to which brass you use.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You don't even have to mix head stamps to get big variances. I have different lots of Federal 243 brass from factory ammo that vary 10 grains.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I don't doubt but I really don't understand why it does? And how much of a difference can it make?
Just seems that the brass only holds the powder, primer, and bullet. If all those being equal why would the brass make that big a difference? Just curious.
Thanks
HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Different capacity brass for load work would be like trying to tune a V8 with different size cylinders. The cylinders just hold air, gas vapor, and a spark plug.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
If the capacity is the same, say 50gr of powder in Remington brass and 50gr of powder in Nosler brass. Capacity is the same no matter what the stamp says on brass. Why would it change anything? I will try different brass just to see when I find a load that shoots well to see what effect it has.

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"If the capacity is the same, say 50gr of powder in Remington brass and 50gr of powder in Nosler brass. Capacity is the same no matter what the stamp says on brass." Nope, that would be your powder charge weight, not the case capacity.

"Why would it change anything?" If you have two sized cases of identical dimension on the outside, but weigh 10 grains different, the internal capacity of the cases will be different.

Last edited by NVhntr; 09/25/16.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
In my thinking it depends on what you are doing...for example, if I am loading my .270 or my .300 Win Mag at close to book max and a 200 yard zero then I want EVERYTHING to be as close to exactly the same(there will be minor differences in case capacity between brands, even between different runs of the same brand) and I sort brass by weight and headstamp after it is fully prepped. If I'm loading ammo for my .308 brush beater, I don't worry too much about it(pretty much everything is up close and fast with that one) I'll prep 50 cases out of a bucket of range brass(I check them over EVERY time I handle them for cracks/splits/bulges and other nastiness). Prime them with Win LR or CCI200 primers, add 43gr of either IMR4895 or H4895 and whatever decent 150 bullet I have handy.

The more I'm asking from the load the more work I put into it(by the way those .308 loads kill deer just as dead, but they won't hang with the .270 or the .300 accuracy wise).

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It makes a huge difference. The only way you'll find out for yourself is segregate the brass by headstamp and case capacity and run them over a chronograph. You'll be surprised to see the difference in velocity and accuracy..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,426
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.