Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's right. I prefer to recover my elk, and mine's already in the freezer this year. Plus, I like to get at least out of sight of the pickup. Makes me feel like I'm "getting out there."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Colo_Wolf
reads like "grumpy old farts"....

Glad you liked it. I haven't read that one, is it good?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by smokepole
[blah, blah, blah...]

That's hilarious coming from a guy who can't answer a simple yes or no question:

"Is a gun a toy?"

That all depends on what the definition of "is" is.

Make no mistake CH, I understand your feeble argument better than you do. You found a definition of "toy" in Merriam-Webster that you think defines gun, at least some of the time. Therefore, a gun is a toy. Or can be, some of the time.

Well, I found a definition of "cat" in Merriam Webster:

Simple Definition of cat

: a small animal that is related to lions and tigers and that is often kept by people as a pet

: a lion, tiger, leopard, or similar wild animal

: a man

So, I conclude that a man is a cat, at least some of the time.

Make sense?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's right. I prefer to recover my elk, and mine's already in the freezer.

I've been hunting Colorado elk, deer and antelope since 1982 and Wyoming antelope since around 2004. During that time I have lost only one animal, a cow elk I shot in 2014. In spite of losing that one, I've managed to put 14 elk in the freezer since year 2000 and I don't know how many deer and antelope.

Rag on me all you want, but I don't think that's a bad record. If you hunt long enough the chances are you, too, will eventually lose an animal - assuming you haven't already but don't have the balls to admit it on a public forum.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Struck a nerve, eh? As far as having the balls to post about losing one "on a public forum," the last time I lost one was about 10 years ago. I wrote a story about that one, it was published in Bugle. Of course, that story had a happy ending. I wasn't hunting next to private property, so I could follow the elk. After looking for the elk until well after midnight the evening I shot it (got dark at 7) I came back the next morning and found it. The meat was still good.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[blah, blah, blah...]

That's hilarious coming from a guy who can't answer a simple yes or no question:

"Is a gun a toy?"

That all depends on what the definition of "is" is.

Make no mistake CH, I understand your feeble argument better than you do. You found a definition of "toy" in Merriam-Webster that you think defines gun, at least some of the time. Therefore, a gun is a toy. Or can be, some of the time.

No, what I found in the Merriam-Webster dictionary was a definition of 'toy' that defines 'toy', not 'gun'.
And yes, sometimes a gun fits that description. Many people often describe their guns, cars, planes, tools and other items as 'toys'. They are not wrong.

Well, I found a definition of "cat" in Merriam Webster:

Simple Definition of cat

: a small animal that is related to lions and tigers and that is often kept by people as a pet

: a lion, tiger, leopard, or similar wild animal

: a man

So, I conclude that a man is a cat, at least some of the time.

Make sense?

Of course it makes sense. What you fail to realize (due to your reading comprehension problem again) is that the first two definitions you provide refer to a feline mammal while the third refers to slang usage that does not refer to a feline at all but rather to a humanoid with certain characteristics.

Must be a very tiny world you live in.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for proving my point.

People call men "cat" sometimes but that doesn't mean that a man is a cat. It's just slang usage.

People call guns "toys" sometimes (personally, I hate that) but that doesn't mean guns are toys. Slang usage.

And you're still as FOS as a Christmas turkey.

This thread is Epic, on its way to Uber.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for proving my point.

People call men "cat" sometimes but that doesn't mean that a man is a cat. It's just slang usage.

People call guns "toys" sometimes (personally, I hate that) but that doesn't mean guns are toys. Slang usage.

And you're still as FOS as a Christmas turkey.

This thread is Epic, on its way to Uber.

You are so dense. The word 'toy' has multiple meanings/definitions. You are stuck in the mud on one particular meaning and refuse to acknowledge the one that applies.

How did you ever get out of grade school?

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

[Linked Image]

That's right. I prefer to recover my elk, and mine's already in the freezer this year. Plus, I like to get at least out of sight of the pickup. Makes me feel like I'm "getting out there."

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Colo_Wolf
reads like "grumpy old farts"....

We're 'special' that way.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Struck a nerve, eh? As far as having the balls to post about losing one "on a public forum," the last time I lost one was about 10 years ago. I wrote a story about that one, it was published in Bugle. Of course, that story had a happy ending. I wasn't hunting next to private property, so I could follow the elk. After looking for the elk until well after midnight the evening I shot it (got dark at 7) I came back the next morning and found it. The meat was still good.

Congratulations on the recovery. How many other game animals have you lost?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
philosophical question, If someone points what appears to be a gun at me they will probably be shot. If it turns out to be a toy gun are they less dead?

Guns may be fun but to consider them toys is fatuous.

To defend that concept is moronic.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lvmiker
philosophical question, If someone points what appears to be a gun at me they will probably be shot. If it turns out to be a toy gun are they less dead?

Guns may be fun but to consider them toys is fatuous.

To defend that concept is moronic.

mike r

No, to consider them toys, when the definition applies, is to acknowledge reality. Guns are guns, regardless. Sometimes they are toys as well.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
CH, I'm about done with this. I'm going fishing with my son and his girlfriend, into a little box canyon that's walk-in only, with browns that will jump all over a dry caddis.

Let me leave you with one final thought/question:

Imagine yourself at your rifle range with your daughter and young grandson. You go to get your rifle out of the truck and absebtmindedly say “let me get my toy.”

Your young grandson gives you a look, and says “grandpa, is that really a toy?”

How would you answer him? Would you say “why, yes it is a toy because one definition of “toy” (out of 8) in the Merriam Webster online dictionary seems to fit.”

Or would you pull your head out long enough to say, “no son, this is most definitely not a toy.”

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
CH, I'm about done with this. I'm going fishing with my son and his girlfriend, into a little box canyon that's walk-in only, with browns that will jump all over a dry caddis.

Let me leave you with one final thought/question:

Imagine yourself at your rifle range with your daughter and young grandson. You go to get your rifle out of the truck and absebtmindedly say “let me get my toy.”

Your young grandson gives you a look, and says “grandpa, is that really a toy?”

How would you answer him? Would you say “why, yes it is a toy because one definition of “toy” (out of 8) in the Merriam Webster online dictionary seems to fit.”

Or would you pull your head out long enough to say, “no son, this is most definitely not a toy.”

At that time the firearm would definitely not be considered a toy and I would answer accordingly.

When my hunting buddy comes over there have been multiple occasions when I've offered to show him a new toy that was also a firearm.

Don't understand what is so hard to understand about that but apparently it is quite beyond your mental capabilities.

Have fun fishing. Are you using old equipment or do you have new 'toys'?

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I already told you, a toy is something I'd give to a five year-old and tell him to go out and play in the yard with. If he breaks it, no sweat.

My fly rods don't fit that definition.

And I will never refer to a gun as a "toy." Lots of others won't either, for (what should be) obvious reasons.

"Don't understand what is so hard to understand about that but apparently it is quite beyond your mental capabilities."

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hey Mike, nice avatar, is that you in the photo?

It could be. Merriam-Webster defines "ape" as:

"a large and stupid or rude person."

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,628
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.