Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Anyone out there have a manners eh6 and would like to share their build and pics?

There's a few photos on the fire posted by tom manners when the stock was released, but very few others since then. I would love to see what barrel contour folks are using and even some side by side comparisons with the McM classic and McM hunter, which i think it's most similar to in the McMillan lineup.

I'm getting close to ordering a stock and the choice is comin down to the eh6 and the McM classic with edge fill.

Last edited by wildcat33; 09/24/16.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a couple I can snap picks of when I get home Mon or Tue. Shoot me an IM if I forget. Someone posted pics of nice GAP 308 with an eh6 a few weeks ago, too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a thread of a build of mine with an eh6 stock. I have another rifle with a classic. I'll work on getting some side by side pics.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10989916/1

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Awesome. I think I did see that GAP come to think of it. Non typical, camo?

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Gledeasy, thanks for the link. Left you a comment there even though it's an older post. Curios about the mini chassis.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here are a few pics side by side. Not the greatest but hopefully will help some. The manners is a LA holding a bartlein 2b barrel. The McM is a SA holding a hart 3 barrel. Each has a pic rail and two flush cups. The manners has the bdl chassis, and weighs a half pound more than the McM.

Overall each stock is really nice. There are a few differences. The manners narrows a little more than the McM, has a higher comb, and a different style grip. It also has texture compared to checkering with the McM.

I have more experience with the McM, but each shoulders nicely and feels very natural to me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wildcat33
Gledeasy, thanks for the link. Left you a comment there even though it's an older post. Curios about the mini chassis.

When I ordered the stock their website had said the chassis added about 6-8 ounces. It's not apples to apples but these two stocks do weigh about 8 ounces different.

I went with the chassis simply for a rock solid set-up. If I we're trying to go as light as possible I wouldn't have used it, but the plus is I can use another LA rifle with the stock and keep a solid platform.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Manners EH-6 short action 260

[Linked Image]

Public landowner...
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
l looked at one and could not get over the grip configuration...it had a palm swell on both sides...it is not a traditional grip configuration...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like the stock. My only complaint is the comb is a little far forward and doesn't allow as much room as I like for my thumb, but not a big deal.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11411937/Re:_New_toy#Post11411937

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Gledeasy; those pics are super helpful!

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Cinch
Manners EH-6 short action 260

[Linked Image]

What barrel contour are you using?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That one is a Bartlein #3 contour...

Public landowner...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[Linked Image]

Public landowner...
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Gledeasy
Originally Posted by wildcat33

When I ordered the stock their website had said the chassis added about 6-8 ounces. It's not apples to apples but these two stocks do weigh about 8 ounces different.

I went with the chassis simply for a rock solid set-up. If I we're trying to go as light as possible I wouldn't have used it, but the plus is I can use another LA rifle with the stock and keep a solid platform.

Do have a finished weight without scope on your two builds?
The more I look at that mini chassis, the extra weight seems worth it for the "plug and play" ability. Especially if you pair it with something like a shilen DGR barreled action. I could pretty much build the rifle myself.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That looks kind of like a McM Hunter. Those of you that have both, are they close?

If not, does Manners make a stock close to the Hunter?

McM Hunter:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dave - sorry for the delay and crummy pics but this should give you an idea. The rifle is a stock 700 SPS standard sporter contour, and the barrel inlet is a bit larger than needed for future expansion. This is just a mock up as it hasn't been bedded yet. I packed up my other EH6 yesterday and shipped it off to the smith before I could snap any pics.

Specs on both of mine:
14 1/8" lop
ADL
26 oz
Total weight before bedding, but including mag box, spring, follower, PT&G aluminum ADL trigger guard and pillars is right at 6lbs 6oz.

I love these stocks. The grip is somewhat open, but it's a bit longer than most hunting stocks so I can let my hand ride a bit lower while still having some room for my pinky. The result is my wrist and trigger finger can assume a very comfortable and natural alignment. There is a substantial palm swell - if you already know you hate them then this is not the stock for you.

Phil

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I do like the palm swell and the raised cheek. Some have mentioned that it doesn't go back far enough. For me the decision comes down to this and the McM classic. From what I can tell the McClassic has very little palm swell and I would need to add a cheek pad to get my head up, seems the EH6 is the way to go for me. If I can find one in stock somewhere I'll be stylin.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Bringing this post back to life with some new information.

I placed my order from manners and then started arranging a gunsmith to build the rifle. I spoke with two renowned smiths here on the fire (as well as PRS competition, etc) and both told me, independently, the same thing. Both expressed concern about wait times being significantly loner than quoted; a large percentage of stocks are delivered not straight; and inletting precision is lacking.

I debated contacting manners about this and decided to query the fire first. Need some feedback from others wiser than I on whether or not I should cancel my order and do something different.

Anyone want to volunteer their experience? I've seen some recent posts on snipers hide that echo the same sentiments. Feel free to PM me.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I will say that the inlet for one of the pillars wasn't exactly straight on one of mine. Redneck was able to fix it up no problem though. The wait times are what they are... I was quoted 6 months and it took a few weeks over that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 26 invisible), 1,899 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,837
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.