Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
http://www.dryfiretrainingcards.com/fixing-the-2-most-common-ar-15-training-errors/

What y'all think?

Honestly; I would like to go to some super guru shooting school and see what there is to learn. It would be fun.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think a lot of people use the C clamp hold just because that's what everyone else is doing, and most are using it incorrectly, and don't realize it's for a very specific type of shooting.

With that hold you also need to square up your body, and pull the butt of the rifle into the pocket of your shoulder a bit more. The idea is to mimic how a Sporting Clays shooter uses his body as a "gun turret" for hitting fast moving targets. It's really more of a point shooting technique than a competition/aimed fire technique. It's for fast moving shooting at very close ranges. It's not THE hold for every situation because it can be exhausting.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Interesting article. We all do a lot of the monkey see stuff. Need some range time to try these ideas out.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
After going to a vertical grip and the push pull method, then everyone saying the extended arm and C Clamp hold must be quicker cause the comp guys are using it, then figuring out I'm not a comp guy I started shooting my carbines just like my shotguns and my bolt guns. Which is most comfortable to me.

It may not be the right way but it's my way. The key is try it for yourself and use what works.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll try and get back to this later, but the best advice you'll hear all day is to ignore essentially everything in that article.

Uh, no....actually you're not....
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
It's really more of a point shooting technique than a competition/aimed fire technique. It's for fast moving shooting at very close ranges.

Not really.

it can be exhausting.

Yes.

From the article.....

When your left arm is fully extended with the c-clamp technique, it doesn’t help much if someone grabs the end of your gun and tries to take it from you.

Your arm doesn't have to be fully extended. In fact, the author's arm isn't in his demo picture of the method.

One of the biggest advantages of the carbine over a pistol in close combat is the ability to muzzle punch a suspected threat OR muzzle punch in the event of a malfunction.

Muzzle punches are a terrible idea and a great way to accidentally shoot somebody.

Who is the author planning on punching with the muzzle of his loaded rifle?
For you, it might be a friend of one of your kids sneaking in to sleep off a hangover, a confused neighbor, or some other situation where a muzzle punch is a MUCH better instinctive reaction to a bump in the night than shooting first.

hmmmmm.......

If you train yourself to always reach your support hand out to full extension and use the c-clamp grip, sooner or later, you’re either going to grab a handful of hurt (in the form of a burn or a hole) or you’re going to run the gun slower out of respect for the potential of grabbing a handful of hurt.

On an SBR that's not the result of a C-clamp grip, it's the result of terrible weapon handling.

And then there's a bunch of blather about push-pull. You wanna talk about wearing yourself out? Run around doing the push-pull stuff for just a bit and see what happens.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everybody wants to be somebody special and have everyone think about how awesome they are.

Some folks go out and shoot really well to accomplish that.

Other people talk about shooting to try to accomplish that.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thank you Bluedreaux, every day I read some new bit of wisdom or some lucky shot scenario and wonder how much bullshit is flying. I cannot shoot for crap, but I enjoy trying, and I try and shoot once or twice a week with some type of firearm. This week is going to be tough but I shot a few rounds already. I quit arguing about much of this stuff because some people are just very needy regards their being right, or being the best, or being smarter than everybody else.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
C-clamp hold; I never heard the term till I read that article. Not sure exactly what or why it is.

Is there an advantage to it? How is it done properly? What are you looking to accomplish with it?

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
It's really more of a point shooting technique than a competition/aimed fire technique. It's for fast moving shooting at very close ranges.

Not really.
Well it was the original intent.

You mount like a shotgun, and while your eyes are aligned with the sights, your focus is on the target, not the sights, if it's a moving target so you don't shoot behind the target. That's the "point shooting" element, even though that's not pure point shooting in the classic sense. Then back to a focus on the front sight (or optic if equipped) when the target is more stationary. Also with your arm extended that far, it will slow your swing/make it smoother when transitioning from one target to another, and helps those who have a tendency to actually swing past a target.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where are you getting this stuff from?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Robert_White
C-clamp hold; I never heard the term till I read that article. Not sure exactly what or why it is.

Is there an advantage to it? How is it done properly? What are you looking to accomplish with it?

You can theoretically maintain more control over the muzzle, transition between multiple targets with less risk of over swinging them (IME).

I don't keep my arm at FULL extension, almost nobody does. But it's certainly pretty far forward on a rail (a 13" rail would be minimum for me). You can accomplish the same grip with a shorter rail. Wrap your entire hand around the rail, thumb over the top. Hang on like a drowning man.

[Linked Image]

Compare that pic to what the author of that article posted. His hand is under the rail, thumb along the side of the rail and pointed forward, elbow bent a lot.

I prefer something between the two. If I'm able to prep for a shot or stage I'll clamp it. But it's really inconvenient or impossible to run a light with that grip and I end up using a thumbs forward type grip on a serious gun.

It's worth giving a try. Something between it and holding the front of the magwell is probably ideal.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Everybody wants to be somebody special and have everyone think about how awesome they are.
when you get old enuf, you will realize that you no longer care what people think about you (says the guy who takes a pic of every dam pig he shoots)

just work out a little and it wont matter where you hold your gun... it ain't gettin away.

[Linked Image]

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Somebody obviously did some serious computer work...

Everyone knows djones don't take a pic without a pig. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
Everyone knows djones don't take a pic without a pig. smile

Or a DPMS

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
That article is a serious crock of crap. Some of the most ignorant, stupid chit ever said about guns and techniques come from SEALs/SF/PJ's and police. Of course there are people in all of those organizations that are truly knowledgable and skilled, but they got that way from outside influence - usually competition.

There's a reason that every single high level military and 3gun shooter holds the rifle the way that they do.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
...There's a reason that every single high level military and 3gun shooter holds the rifle the way that they do.

and don't forget pig hunters. they're the creme de la creme.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 47 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,078
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.