Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Esox357
Barnes work great when they hit bone. Soft tissue wise I would look to a 165 Ballistic Tip or 165 Hornady BTSP.

On the plus side you still have a dead bear! Congrats.

Bullshit!

I venture to guess you have looked at few examples of either...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BobinNH
A buddy shot one about 200 pounds with a 340 Weatherby and 210 Partition up in Maine, a hair too far back. It went about the same distance.

Sounds like a difficult angle,and tough shot especially where you catch one lung and you can expect them to travel a bit after a hit like that. I have used mostly Partitions and Bitterroots on mine....no problems.

You can't fool a bear's nose.... smile

How do you like the Adirondack?

Humans are rare in that the lungs are each in their own sac, while most other critters have both lungs in one sac. A single lung being collapsed gets both very quickly...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
A buddy shot one about 200 pounds with a 340 Weatherby and 210 Partition up in Maine, a hair too far back. It went about the same distance.

Sounds like a difficult angle,and tough shot especially where you catch one lung and you can expect them to travel a bit after a hit like that. I have used mostly Partitions and Bitterroots on mine....no problems.

Humans are rare in that the lungs are each in their own sac, while most other critters have both lungs in one sac. A single lung being collapsed gets both very quickly...

Except for deer. Apparently they never received that memo. Some have been killed with one lung that was taken out the previous hunting year

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KenMi

Except for deer. Apparently they never received that memo. Some have been killed with one lung that was taken out the previous hunting year

Elk too

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Critters can do amazing things, especially under stress... but surviving a collapsed lung for long would be right near the very top of the heap. Likely not impossible for critters that may not be tested hard physically. The vast majority could never do it.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Elk too

An elk surviving a collapsed lung is much harder to accept than a deer...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They don't survive a collapsed lung because it doesn't collapse. You can stick a broad head through one lung on a bull and he can survive. Because the other one continues to work.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, that's it! The bull moose I shot last week with a 30-06 only lost a single lung... he must be running around out there still... or not.

Collapse is a relative term and relates to getting enough gas between the pleura and the lung to eliminate expansion of the lung. Yeah, they feel spongey, but gases behind reduce/eliminate inhalation.

Once again you are running on extremely limited comprehension and an obvious lack of experience.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, that's it! The bull moose I shot last week with a 30-06 only lost a single lung... he must be running around out there still... or not.

Collapse is a relative term and relates to getting enough gas between the pleura and the lung to eliminate expansion of the lung. Yeah, they feel spongey, but gases behind reduce/eliminate inhalation.

Once again you are running on extremely limited comprehension and an obvious lack of experience.

i don't remember saying anything about moose

How many elk you field dressed?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know about elk from my own firsthand experience, but I do know that moose lungs (and caribou)sometimes collapse, sometimes don't. It seems to depend on whether air can get into the chest cavity or not (or other stuff if the diaphragm happens to be compromised shocked .) Regardless, lung shots generally bleed well enough to cause drowning at a minimum.

I would be very curious about the exact circumstances that would allow a 'deer' of any shape or size to heal from such a wound, though I don't doubt that some have.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bellydeep

i don't remember saying anything about moose

How many elk you field dressed?

Number of animals dressed in the field is not a comparison you want to make, particularly if you bring variety into the picture... this started with bear and I have done a very large number of blacks, browns, and even grizzlies... deer and caribou, a huge number... elk and moose, a lot... sheep and goats, a lot... hundreds in total...

But there is a huge difference in experiences equaling hundreds of critters and one critter hundreds of times.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Too many variables involved to make conclusive statements for every situation. If one lung collapses but the chest entry and exit wounds close up from blood, hair, dirt, etc fast enough the animal might be able to get the other lung working and survive. I think this would be rare, however.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shot placement is the only evidence needed to solve every "mystery"as far as wounded critters or tracking is concerned.

Problem is, a given shot in a given location is not always recognized as such, or accurately assessed. And then you hear tales of bullet failure, the gun being off, the chambering not being powerful enough, yada, yada, yada......

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For the OP, yes I think you would have been more satisfied with the bullet performance from a Nosler Partition in said situation.

You experienced classic mono performance. If you didn't like it, then switch to something else.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
For the OP, yes I think you would have been more satisfied with the bullet performance from a Nosler Partition in said situation.

You experienced classic mono performance. If you didn't like it, then switch to something else.

Thank you sir. I was boggled as to the clean entry and exit the bullet made.

S
S
Take this with a grain of salt as I have only shot one animal with Barnes ttsx. It was a bear too iver bait probably 250 pounds live. Shot with my 338 win mag. First [bleep] punched through the chest breaking the off shoulder. Second shot broke his neck as he tried to run off. Your right the exit holes aren't big but the blood damage in that bears chest was impressive. His chest cavity was turned to soup

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My hunting buddies and I have used the 130g TTSX from a .308 at about 3,000 fps+ with great success on deer and pigs. Velocity really helps mono-bullets perform.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Sasktrapper
Take this with a grain of salt as I have only shot one animal with Barnes ttsx. It was a bear too iver bait probably 250 pounds live. Shot with my 338 win mag. First [bleep] punched through the chest breaking the off shoulder. Second shot broke his neck as he tried to run off. Your right the exit holes aren't big but the blood damage in that bears chest was impressive. His chest cavity was turned to soup

I wish I had the same results damage wise on this one. Hardly anything was jellied up or damaged. Just a clean pass through like a broadhead would do. im going to run the same load for the upcoming deer season. Better shot placement on my part will hopefully give me a quick kill and little damage to the edible meat I desire. Thanks for all the input fellas.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Sasktrapper
Take this with a grain of salt as I have only shot one animal with Barnes ttsx. It was a bear too iver bait probably 250 pounds live. Shot with my 338 win mag. First [bleep] punched through the chest breaking the off shoulder. Second shot broke his neck as he tried to run off. Your right the exit holes aren't big but the blood damage in that bears [b]chest was impressive. His chest cavity was turned to soup[/b]

The damage that I have seen in moose hit in the lungs with 225 gr TSX in 338 and 270 gr TSX 375 is consistent with the bold. The lungs looked as though a sizable portion had been placed in a blender. I use only the TSX in 338 and 375, but will at some point give the 225 gr TTSX a shot in the 338. I have no complaints at all with the TSX in 338 Win Mag or 375 Ruger, actually admiration.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
To settle this, please post the post-mortem picture of the bullet.
wink

Originally Posted by DV_Ramrod
So last week I successfully tagged an average 130lb (dressed) New England black bear. The shot that was given to me for a split second was one with the bear slowly walking away around 80 yards looking back at me in the wind carrying my scent despite the cover/attractant scents I was using to combat this situation. I instinctivively shot to drop the bear in its tracks by lodging a 150gr Barnes TTSX in a Kimber Adirondack .308 between its shoulder blades, essentially leaving him immobile and dead in his tracks. However, the shot freehand pulled left 2-4" outside the intended area and punched a clean hole through his left lung leaving me tracking him for a good 1/8th mile through the thickest, muckiest terrain I've ever experienced, in the rain, all after the well known death moan 30 seconds after the shot.

I was surprised how little damage the round made in this circumstance, however I'm asking you all if I used the correct bullet choice, or should I opt for something different for this species?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (257 mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 21 invisible), 1,729 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,389
Posts18,469,819
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.