Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
lhead71 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
So its been a few years and I want to buy another 10mm. I handled the new Colt Delta and a Dan Wesson PM 7-10. Same money, same style, I like the 1911, so they both fit well. The Wesson is definitely a tighter gun and has a better trigger, but I had an older Delta and it was a good gun. Im just looking for everyone .02 that has any real world hands on with them.
Thanks-

Enough already, just shoot it!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Today's Colts are really great pistols, but Dan Wesson has pretty much everyone beat for features and build quality.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Nobody gets giddy when they see a Dan Wesson under the glass.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Today's Colts are really great pistols, but Dan Wesson has pretty much everyone beat for features and build quality.

Features maybe, but not quality.

Tightness does not mean better. Sometimes it is not good. But probably not in the case of the DW. Both are great pistols.

I have both. If I was to keep just one. It would be the Colt.

But I will keep both.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
giddy is important.

IC B2

L
lhead71 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I was leaning towards the colt, the trigger is awful compared to my other 1911 but I know I can put a drop is C&S and it will be fantastic. Otherwise it is so similar to the DW....without the prancing pony...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
To even pose the question makes your judgement suspect.

COLT.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lhead71
So its been a few years and I want to buy another 10mm. I handled the new Colt Delta and a Dan Wesson PM 7-10. Same money, same style, I like the 1911, so they both fit well. The Wesson is definitely a tighter gun and has a better trigger, but I had an older Delta and it was a good gun. Im just looking for everyone .02 that has any real world hands on with them.
Thanks-

I'd call it a dead heat and I'm a Colt guy.

i

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Both are good pistols but you really have to watch case support on 10mms if you shoot full power loads. Some of the early 1911s in 10 were not as well supported and you could get bulges or even case failure.

I lean toward the Dan Wesson but the current Colts are pretty good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan Wesson without a second's hesitation.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
My first and only 10mm (until a week or so ago) was a Springfield Omega - late 1980s? I always regretted letting it go and have thought a Delta Elite might be fun. I've heard nothing but good things about DW 1911's, but am looking forward to playing with this new toy...

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Colt.

[Linked Image]

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
L
lhead71 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Well, I had the LGS bring out all the Deltas he had ( 4 on hand NIB) and I tried each one and found one that was very smooth and tight and the trigger wasn't awful, so its home, now to find some great loads. I have a few hundred cases and some 180 gr bullets to start. I did handle a DW Razorback and it was definitely a lot of gun for the money, but I just couldn't get excited about it.

Yes I handload, I have a XL 650 and the appropriate dies and conversion kit since I used to load 40 short and weak for my brother in law.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Congratulations on the new Colt.

What powders do you have?
or
Does your LGS have a good selection?

I like Longshot for the 180grs and heavier bullets.

Get you some Starline Brass. In the 10mm, they use a differ grain structure and the brass is heat treated.

Might want to get a square bottom Firing pin stop. That can come later after seeing how your loads eject. But it is good for the gun.

Since the Delta is a stainless slide and stainless frame keep the adjoining surfaces lubed. Don't over do it.

Don't hotrod your loads. The 10mm is powerful enough.

The most important thing is to case prep to have a good bullet pull. Bullet setback is very bad in the 10mm.

That's all for now. Others will chime in here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gibby pretty much covered it, but...

I prefer AA9 for the heavies and it meters better than blue dot.

and I will also suggest the square bottom firing pin stop If Your empties fly a bit far. You can fine tune it by lightly rounding the bottom if needed.

Enjoy,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
L
lhead71 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thank guys. I actually pulled the gun apart and honed the sear for a nice 4 lb trigger pull and while I was at it put a square bottom firing pin stop in, believe it was an Ed Brown part originally.

I looked at powders and was wondering what to use. I saw Hogdon suggests Win 800 x and Longshot as the higher velocity loads. I will look locally for some AA9. I have lots of other powders Blue dot, Tight Group, Lil Gun, 2400, etc for loading my 44 mag and 357 mag. Use clays universal for my 45's. I guess I will try to pick up some of the others suggested.

I am going to keep the 180 gr tips I have at around 1200 fps. I did pick up some Starline brass as well.

Took it to the range today and put 120 rounds through it and it is accurate and fun, not nearly the recoil I remember form years ago, but then again I have been shooting my 44 mag with 300gr max loads a lot. Not a single issue of FTF, FTE, or slide not locking back. I have a feeling I may have to buy more brass and bullets real soon.

Question: What primers are preferred, magnum or standard?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
With the AA#9 and Longshot use Mag primers. Both are slow ball powders. But Win LP will work sometimes. You can try them

For right now,I would stay away from 800X. It has a reputation of peaking rapidly without warning.

Both AA#9 and Longshot needs that heavy bullet pull mentioned earlier.

AA#7 is very accurate at less than full power loads for range work. No need for Mag primer for it.

Use Power Pistol during Forth of July. Big light show with that one. The new BE-86 looks promising. Same formula as Bullseye (BE-84) but slower. Less flash than other medium burners..

I have used Titegroup with light loads using cast or plated with good results. Don't go to hot with the plated ones. Keep them under 1000fps (180gr.). Remember you are working with pressures from 25-37k psi.

AA#5 can be used anytime for reduced loads. Just use Accurate's minimum load listing. No mag primers needed for it either. It's high Nitro content is less positional sensitive.

There are more of coarse.

I mention these reduced loads simply for gun and brass longevity. No need to go full power all the time.

I would like to reiterate the bullet set back issue. Try to avoid it in this round at all costs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Between the two, there really is only one choice..... grin

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Don't hold back - how do you really feel? grin What load is that?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
that Delta shows good promise!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.