Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I had read somewhere that the blued ones was not coated well and rusted very easily. I know the stainless is a bead blasted dull like finish. Anyone bought one recently

Tater
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They've been rusting easily for years.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I bought a sps stainless 223, put it in a old BDL wood stock, bedded it, freefloated the bbl, it is a tack driver with Benchmark, 450 primers, and 55g noslers, 3500 fps

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I purchased a 700 aac-sd a couple of months ago.

Like every SPS, the finish leaves a bit to be desired. Can't speak to the rust as of yet but I'd expect it to so.
I'll likely hit it with a can of rustoleum for a little better corrosion control.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've bought several over the last 4-5 years and they aren't beautiful, but they aren't awful. The matte finish on the CDL is quite a bit nicer. Have not run into rust issues, but I don't leave my guns in padded cases when the humidity is high and I often shoot the bores dry if I hunted in rainy conditions. One shot into a ditch bank upon getting back to the truck or camp can certainly help. Blow out around the inletting with compressed air and wipe it all down with an oily rag. And then avoid padded cases for several days. Let the air get to it.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Don't you keep your weapons clean? No excuse for letting it rust. Did you know they sell chemicals to prevent this?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Don't you keep your weapons clean? No excuse for letting it rust. Did you know they sell chemicals to prevent this?

LOL

Butch,

You should try toting a blued rough matte finish SPS for a day in 100% humidity. They rust if you look at them wrong. I found RIG to work well for a while, but still got surface rust. I took my latest two matte Rems and had them CKd to be done with the hassle. I've now CKd all my matte blued hunting rigs and try to only buy SS lately.

Gloss and even satin blue is night and day different from the crap rough finish Rem is using these days.

I even have a bit of trouble with rust on rough blasted SS at times with our high humidity and have found I like Hornady's One Shot much better than Rig on those. It protects well and doesn't leave the greasy residue.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
I had read somewhere that the blued ones was not coated well and rusted very easily. I know the stainless is a bead blasted dull like finish. Anyone bought one recently

Most factory matte blued or parkerized finishes are not designed to be weather resistant on their own Those finishes were were invented primarily for the military and are designed to retain and hold weather resistant substances like oil and grease. Which they do VERY WELL!

Best way to apply one of those substances is to slather the rifle with one (I use RIG GUN GREASE) and bake your barrel and action in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour, remove wipe down and reassemble............it won't rust anymore. Just wipe down with some more RIG after each huntin season, if you don't hunt and rifle isn't out in the weather except for the range you will only need to wipe down with grease if you remove it when cleaning from time to time.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Some elbow grease and preventative coatings work wonders for these "issues."

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Eezox!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put DGS on the last one I bought, haven't paid any special attention to maintaining the metal despite a lot of use, and there isn't a bit of rust on it anywhere, even though the factory finish is wearing thin in several spots...

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I put DGS on the last one I bought, haven't paid any special attention to maintaining the metal despite a lot of use, and there isn't a bit of rust on it anywhere, even though the factory finish is wearing thin in several spots...

Jordan, Been thinking about trying it on a couple uncoated bolts does it have to be baked on?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, it doesn't. Simply degrease and wipe on. A few coats works best.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Thanks.. I will give it a try!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is DGS. Googled but can't find it. Sounds like it works.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dyna Gun Shield

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I DGS'd my SS M70 375 H&H prior to a brown bear hunt this past spring in SE Alaska. Needless to say the rifle saw a load of rain daily and two full dunks into the sea as I fell on my azz. I did not touch or really look at the rifle until I returned home 13 days later. Upon tear down, I found rust in the trigger grooves, on the back side of the floor plate that I totally missed coating and on the blued screws of my old school Weaver mounts that I also also missed. Same for the base screws that I did not have access to as the scope was mounted prior to DSG'ing. Lesson to be learned there... The barrel, bolt, action, trigger parts and guard/floor plate were flawless. Also, once I pushed in the floor plate release, it would not release so that had to be fixed. The bore had been DBC'd and it cleaned up fine as well with zero rust. All in all, I am totally impressed with their products.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Coat it liberaly with rig and bake it at 200 degrees in your oven for 1 hour, problem solved. Won't be any missed spots, melted grease will migrate to every corner of you action and barrel. You will see grease leeching out of the barrel/receiver thread area and sho as wet spots for months.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SKane

Like every SPS, the finish leaves a bit to be desired. Can't speak to the rust as of yet but I'd expect it to so.
I'll likely hit it with a can of rustoleum for a little better corrosion control.

Easiest solution.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by SKane

Easiest solution.

Rustoleum paint don,t quite jive with your signature/quote Pat! LMAO

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,386
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.