-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Recently booked a flight to Juneau on American Airlines and ran into some issues transporting firearms and ammo. The flight was booked through American but the last leg from Seattle to Juneau was "serviced" by Alaska Air. The flight was booked through American because Alaska Air does not fly to/from my home airport.

I reviewed both airlines policies regarding flying with firearms and ammo and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I got to the airport at 6:30 A. M. cst for a 7:40 departure and went to the counter to check bags. I was informed by the representative that, because I was switching carriers, they had to have an authorization number from the connecting carrier saying that carrier would accept the ammo. I informed her that I had booked the flight through American and that the firearms info on the website didn't say anything about this issue. She said it was doubtful that she could get an authorization from Alaska Air since it was 4:30 in Seattle. This was a big deal because the rifles I was taking were chambered in 338 RCM and I knew from a previous trip that Sportsman's Warehouse in Juneau did not stock 338 RCM ammo and I would not have time to go look anywhere else before my flight out of Juneau the next morning.

The lady at American called Alaska Air and the representative there had no idea what American was talking about and could not supply a confirmation number but verbally stated that they would accept the baggage containing ammo. The American representative sent me to the gate and either just ignored the issue or decided a verbal confirmation was OK, However, she did tell me that American would NOT accept my baggage on the return trip if it contained ammo without pre authorization and said I would need to call American and get that authorization before I flew home.

Since I was headed into a remote area without much cell service, my wife called and talked to both Alaska Air and American to see if she could get an authorization. Again, Alaska Air had no idea what we were talking about and American refused to authorize it, so she went up the chain until she finally talked to someone who admitted that it was simply an American policy. She was also informed that they had flagged my account with a statement that said they would not accept the baggage transfer from Alaska Air if it contained ammo.

They said I could check my bags on Alaska Air to Seattle, exit the secured area there and claim my bags at luggage claims, go back to the American counter pay the baggage fees and check my bags with them, then go back though security!

So, I left my custom loaded ammo with the guide and he is suppose to ship it to me.

All of this because of a stupid American Airlines policy!!!

I will do my very best to NEVER fly American Airlines again!!

Cancer Sucks
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fack American Airlines

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Fack American Airlines

+1000

I fly Alaska Airlines almost exclusively and have had ZERO issues with firearms and ammunition. When I declare my firearms I'm always greeted with kindness and told to have TSA check them. Flying with firearms, fish or fur on Ak air to or from Seattle/Alaska is about as smooth as can be expected. I'm very partial to Ak air and appreciate their competency at all levels, from ticket counter to air crew they are my favorite. Their safety record is also a source of comfort.

I don't travel with firearms of non common calibers for the exact reason cited. In fact my hunting/travel partners have all standardized around the.308 and .338 win mag. We can get ammunition in a pinch and those 2 calibers cover our bases just fine.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As mentioned in my first post......The flight was booked through American because Alaska Air does not fly to/from my home airport.

As far as traveling with common calibers go, when allowed, I always pack the ammo in the rifle case......if the rifles make the flight, so does the ammo. The only time I have not been allowed to pack ammo in the rifle case was on a trip to Africa. I have flown domestically many times with firearms and have never had an issue with ammo in the gun case.

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
How exactly is he planning to ship ammo to you from Alaska? My understanding is USPS is a no-go and UPS/FedEx won't do it either (can't go air and they won't ship it through Canada).

Been trying to figure a way around it for a while, no such luck (aside from a freight forwarder, but too $$$).

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Don't know how he plans to do it, just said he would.

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm pretty sure USPS doesn't x-ray flat rate shipping boxes.

Subtle hint.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Alaska Air also has a baggage restriction on ammo.

50 pounds. I'm not sure if that is total or per bag......... smile

Last edited by las; 09/29/16.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las

I think that is a DOT reg???

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah put ammo in flat rate box and ship..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las

That's total, domestic only. 11 pounds international. I've seen that in the Fed regs somewhere. Some airlines seem to like to play 'restrict, restrict" as much as possible and use the Int'l rule domestically too. (Empty cases/ammo has to be packed just like loaded stuff....in appropriate boxes.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a good thing to share, but I still like American Airlines because they completely honor my MVP status (Gold) with Alaska Air, and 100% of my miles on their flights goes to my Alaska Air account (as opposed to 50% by some airlines, like Emirates.)

Also, I'm about sick of Alaska Airlines. They treat SE Alaskans like second class citizens. When Delta is giving them competition in Sitka during the summer, they are all nice with decent schedules and prices. Once Delta leaves for the winter, they jack prices and the schedule sucks.

I hope Delta starts flying to SE Alaska year around (they do to Juneau) and keeps Alaska Air on their toes.

Brian

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hey! Look!
There's BeeDub! How ya been?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't complain. wink

Hunting has kind of taken a back seat in my life, as well as shooting. I still mess around the reloading/rifle bench a bit, but it's usually under a pile of other stuff.

laugh

Brian

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Glad alaska airlines flies out of Philadelphia. Used them this summer to go to alaska with gun and amo and no issues. I did check with American but there prices were alot higher. Checking in gun and amo was very easy in anchorage. Security even asked how the hunt went shook my hand and never even asked me to open up gun case. Great people up there at anchorage

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S
Yeah put ammo in flat rate box and ship..

Not a good idea... legal issues and all...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It was the bimbo that checked you in. I'm sure she hates guns and all things hunting and flagged your account to brighten your day later.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had a "special" flight on AA on New Year's Day 2015... they gave me my money back for the flight. Seems they thought they could accuse me of committing a felony in their records and make me happy with a couple thousand miles...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
It was the bimbo that ........flagged your account to brighten your day later.

I hate that the counter 'help' has so much power, but they do. mad

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
AA was great to me on my last flight with firearms (2).

However, if you're gonna ship 50 lbs of ammo in a checked bag, you better make sure you got either free baggage or $75 to donate if bag weight exceeds 50. That's coming and going.

There's NFW one can take the gear to hunt and fish in a 50-lb checked bag unless you're gonna do both with a stickbow.

On the other hand, it is possible to get a full sized carbon-fiber tripod, head, 15x binocular, 8x binocular, rangefinder, set of radios, camera, phone, radio chargers, headlamp, spare batteries, spare tripod plate, holster (this should be empty smile )and rain jacket in a carry-on!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 8 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.