Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like after dodging Hurricanes for 11 years now, Florida is going to get this one.
I have the condo in Miami, and my wife is down there now. We are right on Biscayne bay. The building is 35 stories, and built to handle a Cat 5 Storm. We will see. I stocked the unit with water, Mountain House and other food, two stoves, and the other usual supplies.
I am up in our North Florida home. Looks like we will get some of Matthew as well. I am as prepared as anyone could be. My Daughter and her family are in Jax, where it looks like right now, they are in the center of the cone.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
At least you know how to prepare - and already have.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Far too many hurricanes come across Florida from all directions to ever make me want to live there.

Be Safe. If you need to haul azz to SC let me know.

Dan

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Stay safe Sam!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It will miss Jax I think. And here's my daily I HATE FLORIDA rant...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The wife, the dog and I left on Sunday for our place in Virginia. Our house in Florida is on the water but has a new sea wall, hurricane rated doors and windows, a new hurricane rated roof and sits 10.5 feet above the high water line.

It will be what it will be.

I'm better when I move.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Stay safe! I've got a nephew on the Gulf side so I hope he prepares just in case..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Anyone saying what the projected Category will be when it hits FL?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

No thanx to any of that.......hurricanes....

tornadoes....Gulf storms....I'll stay here on the

Colorado Plateau high & dry at 6000'..

sometimes tooo dry.....best wishes to those in the storm track

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Currently it's a Cat 4. Best case it moves eastward and looses strength. I've been through one in the early 70s wasn't much fun. No power or phone service for a week, 5 large pine trees, down in the yard. One of which put a hole in the roof. And then sunrise to sunset sound of chain saws for months.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I hope the darn thing heads out to sea and keeps you out of harms way. All we will likely get is heavy wind for about four or five days. Our pond could use the water from a tropical storm, but it is not likely. They typically stay about 50 miles east of us. The wind tends to dry us out even more, while eastern N.C. gets all the rain.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=3461

latest forecast models
A growing threat for the Southeast U.S.
A significant westward shift unfolded Monday in computer model guidance on Hurricane Matthew, and this has big implications for the hurricane’s potential impact on the U.S. East Coast. The main reason appears to be stronger ridging south of 98L and north of Matthew than earlier predicted, which may help to nudge Matthew far enough west for major impacts along the Southeast U.S. coast. Last night’s 50 ensemble runs from the 00Z Monday European model included a number of tracks making landfall along the U.S. East Coast. Most concerning was that all four members of the Euro “high-probability” cluster--the members that most closely match the operational run--depicted Matthew making landfall on Florida’s East Coast. Today’s 12Z Monday Euro ensemble continued along the same lines (see Figure 4 below).

Figure 4. Track forecasts from the four European model ensemble members [gray lines] that most closely match the operational run [red line] during the first 72 hours, starting at 12Z (8:00 am EDT) Monday, October 3, 2016. The red line is a version of the 12Z Monday operational model track that has been adjusted and calibrated using a proprietary technique to account for systemic model errors. The high-probability cluster (grey lines) perform better than other ensemble members at forecast times of five days and beyond. Image credit: Climate Forecast Applications Network (CFAN).

A track mirroring the Southeast coastline?
Other models have now moved into the Euro ensemble’s camp. The 12Z and 18Z GFS brought Matthew considerably closer to the Florida coast than earlier runs, with a projected landfall in northern South Carolina this weekend (see Figure 4 below) and a second landfall on Cape Cod less than 36 hours later. The 18Z GFS nudged Matthew’s track so that it arrives very near the central Florida coast on Thursday night, then hugs the coast all the way to Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, on Sunday morning. The 12Z and 18Z Monday GFS ensembles (GEFS) featured a majority of runs making landfall somewhere between Florida and North Carolina, a major shift west from previous GFS ensembles. The 12Z Monday run of the HWRF model tracked about 1 degree (roughly 60 miles) west of its previous two runs, now showing a potential landfall in eastern North Carolina by late Friday.

Obviously, a direct landfall from Matthew could inflict a devastating blow. The key variable in Matthew’s track later this week is how far north and west the hurricane moves before it begins the expected northeastward motion that will take it toward the Northeast U.S. and Canadian Maritimes. A gradual, arcing turn near the coast, as depicted in the 18Z GFS, would avoid a perpendicular, head-on landfall (the type that occured in New Jersey with Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy). This would act to reduce the intensity of storm surge at any given point. Such a track would also keep the mainland primarily on the less-intense western side of Matthew. On the other hand, such a track would bring hurricane-related impacts, including strong winds and heavy rains, to many millions of coastal residents. One particular concern is the risk of very heavy rain from eastern North Carolina into the Delmarva region. The last two weeks have already left totals exceeding 10” in some areas (see Figure 6 below). Any rains from Matthew would fall atop saturated soil, and even strong tropical-storm-force winds could lead to widespread tree uprooting. We can also expect major beach erosion as Matthew churns northeastward.

The governors of Florida and North Carolina have already declared states of emergency for all of FL and parts of central and eastern NC.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Far too many hurricanes come across Florida from all directions to ever make me want to live there.

Be Safe. If you need to haul azz to SC let me know.

Dan

thanks for your kind offer Dan. Looks like Matthew will be covering most of SC right after us. frown

Sam......

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Pulling for you Sam! Take care!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The track keeps moving west. A week ago, it was going to hammer Haiti and Cuba and then head out to sea.
The track has shifted far westward to where it now is projected to hit the Outer Banks NC.

If it shifts west a hundred more miles, Savannah and Charleston could be up the creek along with the entire Florida coast line.

I am from Georgia, I could have moved to the Charleston area, I love Charleston. I moved to the NC mountains.
We get hurricanes up here but the winds are doing 35 mph by the time they get to the mountains. Do get a lot of rain from them.
But we won't get it from this one.

Good luck, coastal people! Stock up and be prepared.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it follows this model, it should not be too bad for Florida:
[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Our daughter's husband is a pilot for Homeland Security. Last month he got transferred from Miami to Albuquerque. They have nothing left in Miami to worry about.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I sincerely hope that after it passes directly over GITMO, they ruefully discover that all the prisoners drowned.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Glad it's not headed to Texas

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a house on the coast of SC between Charleston and Savannah. Sure hope this hurricane hangs to the east side of its projected path. Got to make a run over and tie everything down. The family loves the place, but to me it is worse than a boat for sucking up money.
I hope everybody stays safe...

Harry
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 16,136 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,156
Posts18,542,747
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.