Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ringman
gnoahhh,

Any fool would have examined the structural integrity of his fore arm before bolting something like a bipod to it, right?

You say. The original poster doesn't seem to be a fool so he wouldn't examine the structural integrity of his fore arm before bolting something like a bipod to it. He is probably exactly like the fast majority of posters on this sight.

Yeah. I was too harsh. My apologies.

Sometimes I ascribe personal traits to the world at large. If I were to to do something like hanging a bipod on a new rifle, I would check the web thickness of the material it would be attached to and any other structural characteristics that would effect the installation. It's the engineer side of me that drives me to be anal like that. I realize most guys just trust stuff to be ok.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by battue
Jerry,

Saying Beretta customer service can suck is being kind. Sometimes it may not, but you best know someone. Most of the time it will. Many examples exist in the shotgun group. Guessing, but it seems rifles are included.

Thnx Battue.
I've had NO trouble w/my Tikka T 3 Lite SS 270 in 13 yrs. I certainly hope I don't either. However after 10-13 yrs I would not expect a warranty, especially on the stock.

OTOH too many have given examples of P P customer service so I don't plan to be a future Beretta customer.

Thnx again

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They do make excellent shotguns that seldom cause problems-especially their O/U's-but if something does occur then quick is not part of their reputation. Their semi-auto shotguns are also fine. However, when something does go wrong, it normally involves an easy parts swap which are available from a variety of sources once you figure out what broke.

Had a brand new Beretta semi that the forend cracked. Beretta had a display tent at the shoot and I took it over. They looked at it and said I would have to send it in for them to look at. Now they had maybe 10 of the same model on display. I said just give me one off of one of them. No, can't do. OK, I'll pay you for one. No, can't do, have to send it in. I duct tapped the crack and to this day it remains the same.

Now if I had been one of the known shooters, it would have been a done deal. 😀

Last edited by battue; 10/12/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pal
Expecting Sako to warranty a 10-year old plastic rifle stock is just laughable.

And them wanting $650 for a tupperware is hilarious. 😏

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Sucks thats you guys have such [bleep] Beretta CS. Here (Australia) they are probably one of the best in terms of after-sales support and general CS/warranty stuff. Seems they can't do enough to help the end user. Hope it improves for you guys soon.

You only live once.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
B P -

I'm glad their C S is good there. Maybe ? it'll get better here.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by JSTUART
[quote=dennisinaz]
I guess I am shocked at how many of you defend Beretta in this case. Wow.

The mistake you are making Dennis is that you are thinking Sako makes their rifles to accept a Harris bipod...they make their rifles to shoot with or without a sling, and they supply them without provision for attachment of a bipod. Further, such attachment of an aftermarket device is solely at the risk and discretion of the purchaser.

Now if the company specified that the rifle were to be used with such a device you would have some standing, as it is you have none.

It is reasonably common for people to suicide in cars...good luck holding the manufacturer responsible for what some dill does with the product, nor is it reasonable to expect firearms manufacturers to be held responsible for people being shot with the firearms those same companies manufacture.

At some point we all have to take responsibility for our actions...and stop looking for a free handout.

JStuart, your analogy is one of the stupidest ones I have ever seen. You need to quit defending this mess. Bipods have been very mainstream for over 30 years now. EVERY manufacturer has seen them. IF they don't think their stock can stand up to one, they should put a disclaimer on the stock or owner's manual. Pretty simple. This is more like putting a steering wheel cover on the wheel and having the steering wheel break off. After seeing that photo, I would never sling that rifle! If they had simply said that they didn't want to warranty a 10-year-old stock I could live with that.

As for the McMillan stocks. I can't see how you can possibly damage the stud with a bipod. They are threaded into STEEL T- nut which is carefully inletted into the stock and epoxied in place. You would have to rip a 3/4" whole all the way through the stock to get one out. I can also guarantee that McMillan would have no problem fixing you stock for free if you bipod stud pulled out- even if it was a 375 H&H.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by battue
They do make excellent shotguns that seldom cause problems-especially their O/U's-but if something does occur then quick is not part of their reputation. Their semi-auto shotguns are also fine. However, when something does go wrong, it normally involves an easy parts swap which are available from a variety of sources once you figure out what broke.

Had a brand new Beretta semi that the forend cracked. Beretta had a display tent at the shoot and I took it over. They looked at it and said I would have to send it in for them to look at. Now they had maybe 10 of the same model on display. I said just give me one off of one of them. No, can't do. OK, I'll pay you for one. No, can't do, have to send it in. I duct tapped the crack and to this day it remains the same.

Now if I had been one of the known shooters, it would have been a done deal. 😀

They do make nice shotguns although a silver pigeon purchased 10 years ago had to go back immediately and the plating was cheap, the stock finish brittle.

I certainly hope Beretta never buys Cesar Guerini

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Read the posts and agree that manufacturers should anticipate the use of front swivel studs for bipod use....but have never used a bipod on the bench. Seems to me that there is too much "bounce." My cousin used to shoot a .25-06 from the bench using his bipod...groups were about 2 inches for three shots. Took the bipod off, shot off sandbags, groups were barely over an inch. I could see the rifle rebound from the bench when he used the bipod.
I also am distrustful of threaded front sling swivels in wood stocks. My main hunting rifle came with a threaded front swivel with barely 1/2 inch of threads. I had the forearm drilled through and countersunk for a machine screw swivel and a nut. I am much more confortable carrying the rifle slung now...and also feel better about attaching a bipod when hunting.
I put a Williams brrrel band swivel on a Savage 99A I had as a kid. Missed some shots using the sling in the field....years later it occurred to me it might be changing point of impact. Long story short...about 4 inches low and left when shooting from a snug sling compared to without. My current rifles are free floated with the swivel in the foreend...no change in POI that I can discern using sling for a shooting aid.
I presently own no synthetic stocked rifles....went back to wood just cause I like it better, and hunt in a dry climate so don't really need the moisture stability of synthetic. But if I ever get one, I'll be careful of using the front stud for bipod attachment!

Last edited by 300_savage; 10/13/16.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

JStuart, your analogy is one of the stupidest ones I have ever seen. You need to quit defending this mess. Bipods have been very mainstream for over 30 years now. EVERY manufacturer has seen them. IF they don't think their stock can stand up to one, they should put a disclaimer on the stock or owner's manual. Pretty simple. This is more like putting a steering wheel cover on the wheel and having the steering wheel break off. After seeing that photo, I would never sling that rifle! If they had simply said that they didn't want to warranty a 10-year-old stock I could live with that.

As for the McMillan stocks. I can't see how you can possibly damage the stud with a bipod. They are threaded into STEEL T- nut which is carefully inletted into the stock and epoxied in place. You would have to rip a 3/4" whole all the way through the stock to get one out. I can also guarantee that McMillan would have no problem fixing you stock for free if you bipod stud pulled out- even if it was a 375 H&H.

Oh okay, have it your way...the manufacturer should warranty your personal rifles til the day your grandchildren bury you, even for things and actions the manufacturer did not design the firearms for...they should also include a nice big soft tit for you to suck on so that you do not have to fend for yourself in this big nasty world, and a lovely soft ball of cotton wool so that you can nestle inside and not have to take responsibility for your own decisions and mistakes.

Satisfied?

Good grief you lot are a pack of gimmethat fairies.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I like that tit idea.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is why I don't buy POS European rifles.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
But, in reality, how many guys use a sling for position shooting anymore? Hardly anybody. Can't really blame a stock maker for ignoring the possibility in this day and age.

Literally every person I know uses a sling for positional shooting. And 99% of those people are just deer hunters/plinkers/varmint shooters, not loonies who might have developed the habit via Highpower or something.

Beretta makes a nice O/U - right up until there's an issue. Then CS gets involved and it SUCKS. When I was shooting clays heavy - it's why I stuck with Browning (other than most Beretta's fit me for crap).

Browning CS my brother used once and it was exemplary. 425 that was several years old and about 50,000 rounds developed a crack in the wrist. Replaced free and with better wood than originally on it. FAST as well.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beretta and Tikka rifle have undergone alot of corner cutting to get their weight done in the last decade or so.

Failures like the sling swivel stud arent really a surprise and just reinforce the old adage that you get what you pay for !!

Last edited by RGinther; 10/13/16.

Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich !
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's just plastic....what can we expect?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

My problem with that is if the relatively gentle recoil of a .308 did that while sitting on a bipod, I certainly wouldn't have much faith
in the integrity of the stock/sling stud to hold my rifle on my shoulder using a sling and hold up to any serious josteling. And what if
a guy wanted to shoot supported with the sling? That puts a fair bit of pressure on that stud....

The potential mechanical stress on a stud from a bipod when a rifle is fired is far more than from a sling arrangement.
Firstly with the bipod, the stud/stock is already under constant stress(traction) just to keep the device attached,
then when the rifle is fired the additional mechanical forces leveraged and compounded through the bipod legs
(think also shock loading-transfer through a rigid arrangement) add significant stresses to the stud/stock arrangement.
A sling arrangement on the other hand has no where near the potential destructive mechanical forces on the stud.

- Would I still want a stock that can cope with a bipod?...yes of course.
- Would I complain much about injected moulded stocks with such exhibited faiure?...no.
- Would I let it worry me much if it happened at the range or on a hunt?..no, because I know how to improvise and adapt,
and have had much more highly reputable expensive hunting gear fail to live up to reasonable expectation.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RGinther
the old adage that you get what you pay for !!

That certainly explains why you suck dick so poorly, you two-dollah whore.

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

My problem with that is if the relatively gentle recoil of a .308 did that while sitting on a bipod, I certainly wouldn't have much faith
in the integrity of the stock/sling stud to hold my rifle on my shoulder using a sling and hold up to any serious josteling. And what if
a guy wanted to shoot supported with the sling? That puts a fair bit of pressure on that stud....

The potential mechanical stress on a stud from a bipod when a rifle is fired is far more than from a sling arrangement.
Firstly with the bipod, the stud/stock is already under constant stress(traction) just to keep the device attached,
then when the rifle is fired the additional mechanical forces leveraged and compounded through the bipod legs
(think also shock loading-transfer through a rigid arrangement) add significant stresses to the stud/stock arrangement.
A sling arrangement on the other hand has no where near the potential destructive mechanical forces on the stud.

- Would I still want a stock that can cope with a bipod?...yes of course.
- Would I complain much about injected moulded stocks with such exhibited faiure?...no.
- Would I let it worry me much if it happened at the range or on a hunt?..no, because I know how to improvise and adapt,
and have had much more highly reputable expensive hunting gear fail to live up to reasonable expectation.

The A7 isn't a bargain rifle. It's an overpriced hunk of schit.

It's true that you could snap that portion of the stock as pictured by the OP by over cranking, but to state a bipod that's properly attached exerts more force than using a sling simply shows you don't know how to use a fugking sling. Same as Beretta.

$600 + dollars for THAT stock?

No wonder everybody hates Europe.

Clark

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
As an aside, out of all the guys I know, no one uses a bipod on his hunting rig and only one has a bipod on one of his varmint rifles. Must be a western/open country thing. Can't remember ever seeing a bipod on any stranger's rifles in the woods either come to think of it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Don't you all hunt from a blind?

Travis

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.