Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I like core and jackets to hang together, or the bullet to have some mechanism for locking some portion of them together, for any game from large deer on up.The bigger the game, the more important this becomes IMHO.

Are you saying that you dont like a bullet that penetrates two inches and then EXPLODES.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
BobinNH-

No arguments from me on your bullet choices. I simply posted to show that there are more factors to consider than just velocity. I guess I'll have to break it into multiple posts because I think the forum only allows 6 pics per entry, but here are a few bullets I've recovered over the years. And, for me, since Contenders cartridges with modest velocities are about all I shoot, standard bullets work just fine and often perform similarly to the premiums. In fact, some of the recovered Ballistic Tips look quite similar to the recovered Accubonds.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
And the last one: a discontinued Sierra 130 grain 7mm SSP taken from a buck killed at 108 yards using a 7mm Bullberry. Entered front of chest and penetrated to the hip. MV, if memory serves, was 2505 fps.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=Mule Deer

Bullet rotation has an effect as well. That's slower at reduced muzzle velocities, but again, at ranges out to 200 yards (where 90% of big game is taken) a muzzle velocity 100-200 fps slower isn't going to have any meaningful effect. [/quote]

John, how can that be true ? All the 458 Lott fans swear it changes a bullet that almost bounces off of animals into a cannon.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
There have been a couple of threads here lately where commonly used bullets that are generally accepted to be good performers, haven't expanded as expected.

I am just wondering if the loads used may have been the issue?

Where I shoot at the range I am usually the only person using a chronograph and as such get really often asked to check loads by people.

Almost without exception they are at least a couple of hundred fps short of what the owners were expecting, and of course me and my gear are always to blame.

That's been my experience also. The only factory ammo that always matches the box is Weatherby ammo in Weatherby rifles.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ringman, that may be true today but it wasn't always so. It wasn't long ago that the quickest way to loose your Weatherby friends was to allow them to shoot over your chronograph.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Phil,

I always loved Finn's comments about what he "discovered" about the .458 Winchester after he moved to the U.S....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Me too and, as usual, he was right. A 500 gr bullet going 2000 fps does tend to make a big bloody hole through anything it hits.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've killed a lot of deer. I've never had one go back to feeding after putting a bullet in it.

Not saying it couldn't happen but it defies my reality.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I've killed a lot of deer. I've never had one go back to feeding after putting a bullet in it.

P

I sure had a cow elk at least look like it went back to feeding after it was hit by a Nosler 7mm Partition 160 started at 3,150 per second. It was the first animal I ever ranged. It ranged at exactly 400 yards. All the arteries attached at the top of the heart were destroyed.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bobby I did not mean to make you work so hard....great thread and posts by you.

I was merely commenting on the bullet and not anything you had to say or observed. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Shoot the next deer with a berger. You will get a reaction and it won't go back to feeding.

P

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by atse

P

Shoot the next deer with a berger. You will get a reaction and it won't go back to feeding.

I watched my nephew shoot a little mulie buck on opening day. 7mm-08, 140 VLD, my handloads, 2922 MV, 275 yards. Shot him broadside behind the shoulder. The buck kicked his hind legs and started trotting off, as if not hit. Not the desperation death run, but the "I need to leave now" trot. I thought my nephew hit him because of the kick, but started to doubt when he didn't go down. The buck actually ran parallel to us, getting closer. He stopped at around 150 yards away and hung his head. I thought gut shot. My nephew hit him again and the buck spun to face us, then staggered backwards and fell over.
Both bullets were chest shots, through and through. I wasn't impressed.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My nephew hit him again and the buck spun to face us, then staggered backwards and fell over.
P

Pharm - don't discount the 7-08 OR the bullet. Sometimes for UNKNOWN reasons deer have a tenacity and will to live that defies explanation.

BTW - I'm not impress by VLDs either.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jwall
My nephew hit him again and the buck spun to face us, then staggered backwards and fell over.
P

Pharm - don't discount the 7-08 OR the bullet. Sometimes for UNKNOWN reasons deer have a tenacity and will to live that defies explanation.

BTW - I'm not impress by VLDs either.

Jerry

I would never discount the Mighty -08, it's my cartridge of choice. I killed a buck with one this year at 541 yards. Last year's bull was 346 yards. I use Partitions.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pharmseller where did you hit him and how far did he go?

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/16/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Pharmseller where did you hit him and how far did he go?

I hit the buck through the lungs. Broke the right scapula going in, powdered the shoulder knuckle on the way out, exited. He went about 3 feet. Bullet velocity according to the ballistics program was 1926 fps.

[Linked Image]

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 338reddog, 40 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.