Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1234 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
i've got a free float hand guard to instal looking at the wheeler or dpms tools or !!!!!!! any preferences ?

Ed

GB1

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Depends which hand guard it is. Some come with their own. Others take a crow-foot wrench. Others the standard type wrench.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had the DPMS tool for close to 10 years and used it a bunch. No complaints, it has been well worth the money.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The best standard barrel nut wrench out there is the PRI wrench.

I have used more than a few different ones over the years and most work but I have broken one before. You get what you pay for...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wareagle700
I've had the DPMS tool for close to 10 years and used it a bunch. No complaints, it has been well worth the money.

Nice wrench. Plus it has the spanner for the nut on collapsible stocks which work well on RR steel float tubes too.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm kinda fond of the MagPul version;

LINK

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When it comes to AR stuff, I'm a newbie, so take this for what it's worth. A year or so ago when I bought my first AR, a Ruger AR 556, I wanted to change out the hand guard; thus I needed some tools. Bought a Wheeler Engineering "Armorer's Essentials Kit". Was happy with everything but the "Combo tool" (barrel wrench).

I ended up shearing off almost all the teeth on the barrel nut before I finally ended up breaking the thing loose. A couple per try. Reading the reviews at Midway, I'm not the only one. My opinion, but I think the Wheeler wrench didn't have enough engagement to do the job properly. Two pins, IIRC. It took a SERIOUS amount of force to break loose. I'm a big boy, used all 250 lbs plus a breaker bar, plus beating with a rubber mallet, and it still didn't want to turn loose. If I remember right, I used a 3' pipe wrench with a cheater bar before it was all said and done.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bhemry
When it comes to AR stuff, I'm a newbie, so take this for what it's worth. A year or so ago when I bought my first AR, a Ruger AR 556, I wanted to change out the hand guard; thus I needed some tools. Bought a Wheeler Engineering "Armorer's Essentials Kit". Was happy with everything but the "Combo tool" (barrel wrench).

I ended up shearing off almost all the teeth on the barrel nut before I finally ended up breaking the thing loose. A couple per try. Reading the reviews at Midway, I'm not the only one. My opinion, but I think the Wheeler wrench didn't have enough engagement to do the job properly. Two pins, IIRC. It took a SERIOUS amount of force to break loose. I'm a big boy, used all 250 lbs plus a breaker bar, plus beating with a rubber mallet, and it still didn't want to turn loose. If I remember right, I used a 3' pipe wrench with a cheater bar before it was all said and done.

Sounds like the barrel nut was over torqued at install. That or they used some type of thread locker. That's why we grease the threads.

Last edited by NVhntr; 10/13/16.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I looked at my combo armorer wrench which I believe is a dpms, one of the 3 pins is broken off, another bent.

You do this enough, you're gonna find one that is too tight. In my box, I have a Troy specific wrench, BCM specific wrench, a PRI, the broken dpms and a rigid strap wrench for when all else fails.

The MagPul looks interesting but I wonder how strong the open ended wrench is.

Last edited by TWR; 10/13/16.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by bhemry
Was happy with everything but the "Combo tool" (barrel wrench).

I ended up shearing off almost all the teeth on the barrel nut before I finally ended up breaking the thing loose. A couple per try. Reading the reviews at Midway, I'm not the only one. My opinion, but I think the Wheeler wrench didn't have enough engagement to do the job properly. Two pins, IIRC. It took a SERIOUS amount of force to break loose. I'm a big boy, used all 250 lbs plus a breaker bar, plus beating with a rubber mallet, and it still didn't want to turn loose.

My experience with the Wheeler wrenches has been similar, they are soft metal, poor fitting, and not serious tools for barrel work. I have a GI wrench, and a couple types of commercial barrel nut heads that work better than the Wheeler.

I recommend a barrel wrench with a barrel nut head that engages the majority of the teeth on the nut, the tool heads with the three pins will often sheer the barrel nut teeth off. Barrel nuts are sometimes soft metal as well, and the pins won't hold on them enough to turn the nut.

IIRC, the three pins are supposed to be used only for the DPMS style round barrel nuts with the circle of gas tube holes in the face of the nut.

I think the Magpul tool is good quality, but I have the tools it offers already, or I'd buy one.

Like TWR said, you start collecting tools for different installs...

Last edited by AH64guy; 10/13/16.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you heat it up until it smoked first?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Didn't know enough to do so!

1234 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ended up ordering the pri wrench, its on its way.

Ed

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,711
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.