Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Some of the responses here just bewilder me.

Why such a visceral reaction from some quarters? It makes no sense.

When you consider the Mark I/MOD I "Righteous Usual Suspects" it makes perfect sense.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
He didn't get flack for taking an elk with a spear. He got flack for being a douche on YouTube.

We all have our opinions. Yours and mine aren't always the same.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
We all have our opinions. Yours and mine aren't always the same.

Thanks Ringman, I got a chuckle out of that one.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This wasn't a hunt..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
one

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by irfubar
Good post, I fail to see how this will affect average hunter?

Chronic wasting disease for one. If you read the link MIKEWERNER posted, it's there at Jones' ranch. There's a reason the state inspects his fences regularly.

Devaluing of the meaning of "hunting" for another. If breeding and raising animals in captivity, then selling them to a "rancher" who in turn sells the right to shoot them inside a fence is accepted as "hunting" then hunting loses an essential element.

When people ask me why I hunt, I tell them that I can take photographs and be an observer of nature or I can go hunting and be a participant. Hunting is participating in nature, not a business transaction. It's called hunting (not killing) for a reason and that is, the outcome of hunting is in doubt. When it's all arranged nicely beforehand and I can choose the size of the rack I want to hang on the wall based on how fat my wallet is, that's not hunting. And yes, I understand that there are places where the hunting is fair chase but still at or near 100% success, but at least those animals aren't bred and raised in captivity, bought, and paid for.

All my friends and co-workers know that I love to hunt, and they know I take a few weeks off every year to go hunting and it's important to me. I don't want people reading an account like 201k's and thinking that it resembles my favorite thing to do in any way, shape, or form.

That's why I say "it's not hunting."

I see a parallel with youth sports. When I was a kid, the only way to get a trophy was to be the best at whatever you were doing. Now, kids get trophies for just showing up. That devalues the trophy, and I think it's sad.

And as others have said, I'm not commenting or posting on jorge's thread, I'm commenting on 201k's.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Chronic wasting disease for one. If you read the link MIKEWERNER posted, it's there at Jones' ranch.

No it's not. It WAS there and that is no longer the case, otherwise we could not have taken the meat. As to the rest of your views and assumptions, I'll not try to validate nor justify, but if you think the "antis" are going to respect you or our sport more because you choose a different modus operandi, you're only fooling yourself. We are our own worst enemies sometimes.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wrong on both counts, jorge. First, if you knew anything about chronic wasting disease you'd know that infectious prions can persist in the environment long after diseased animals are removed. And you'd also know that one of the most if not the most significant vectors for spreading CWD in North America has been the commerce in and transport of farmed elk.

To your second point, as I've said before I don't give a damn what the antis think because they're not open to reason and I know I'm not going to change their minds, just as they won't change mine. And antis are a small fraction of the population that cannot affect hunting on their own.

I do care what the general public thinks because they are open to reason, they are the majority, and their opinions can be swayed by things like the original post of this thread. And I know that what we do as hunters matters to them because I've talked to a lot of them. Many are not anti-hunting but don't generally have a positive impression of hunters and hunting because they have some misconceptions. They tend to remember the negative stories they hear but not the positive ones. Like the thread about the elk carcass dumped along the road in Colorado. Some of these people are my co-workers and some are even vegetarians. When I explain my reasons for hunting and how I hunt, every one of them has said something along the lines of "that sounds OK to me (some have even said "that sounds cool") "but most of what I've heard about hunting makes it sound like the animals have no chance." And they don't like that.

Here in CO we lost our ability to hunt bears in the spring because of a ballot initiative where antis were able to get enough of the voters on their side to pass the measure and ban spring bear hunting. So it does matter.

You're right that we are our own worst enemies, but not for the reasons you intimate. For the general public, being exposed to things like the OP posted is far worse in terms of shaping their attitudes toward hunters and hunting than being exposed to hunters arguing the ethics of it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For the general public, being exposed to things like the OP posted has far worse effects than being exposed to hunters arguing the ethics of it.

Absolutely right.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IF the animal I hunted, sorry, shot had CWD, I would not be able to take the meat. As to the OP, HAVING BEEN THERE and nobody else here has, and witnessing an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT scenario, we'll have to agree to disagree... I had a GREAT time on my HUNT.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Odd how the OP has 15 posts...then seems to disappear...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
IF the animal I hunted, sorry, shot had CWD, I would not be able to take the meat. As to the OP, HAVING BEEN THERE and nobody else here has, and witnessing an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT scenario, we'll have to agree to disagree... I had a GREAT time on my HUNT.

Educate me on the subject. It has been a few years since I hunted a CWD unit and veterinary medicine may have advanced. Maybe 5 ago when I last hunted an area that was a CWD unit there was no test available for a live animal. The test involved coring a sample out of the brain stem of the animal then sending it for testing. Hopefully something better has come along since then.

The politics of pen raised elk was a dangerous thing, here at least, because it came under regulation of the dept of agriculture rather than the dept of wildlife so for far too long there was no testing.

Smokepoke is speaking the truth when he talks about prions in soil. I believe that can be mitigated but someone has to actually do it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe

Several people have commented on that.
Seems weird to write up a long controversial post then disappear and not be available to explain or discuss the assertions made.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Alamosa
[that was a CWD unit there was no test available for a live animal. The test involved coring a sample out of the brain stem of the animal then sending it for testing. Hopefully something better has come along since then.

Smokepoke is speaking the truth when he talks about prions in soil. I believe that can be mitigated but someone has to actually do it.

That's how they did it as I described on a previous post. A portion of the brain stem was removed and sent off for testing. As to the soil issue, I can't comment as I do not know.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Broadmouth Canyon Ranch has hunts in both ID and UT. I don't know which this state thread is about. CWD has never been found in ID but it has in UT.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It was in Idaho

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
CWD has never been found in ID but it has in UT.

Right you are. This is interesting reading:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2006/sep/07/escaped-elk-cause-for-concern/

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe

I don't think he "seems to" disappear, he pulled a friggin' Houdini....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Game farms are what brought CWD to my home state.

As to the original posters disappearing act. Highly suspicious and probably has an ax to grind. In addition if he didn't know this was a canned hunt his reading comprehension is pretty poor as its laid out on the website.

That doesn't change the fact this wasn't an elk. If Jorge and his crew are happy with that, that's on them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OneX2

Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 39 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,635
Posts18,493,138
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.