Print Thread
Hop To
K
KuiLei Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Sarika is coming tomorrow morning. It's supposed to make landfall on the other side of the island, then travel across on its way to the southern Chinese mainland, maybe Vietnam.

We've got food staples to last us for about two weeks, water for about a week (though there is untreated water nearby, and we've Chlorine bleach). The car has a full tank, but we can ride bicycles in the aftermath if needed. The itty bitty cooking-only propane tank is half full. Easily good enough for a month, seeing as the last time it was filled was 6 months ago or so.

The house is concrete, but with windows that are just crap. So I hope things don't get too sporty during the event itself. I also really hope that the local infrastructure has been beefed up a little since 2014, when the city was pretty much at a standstill for a month (so I'm told). There is 6 inches of rainfall forecast too. We're within sight of the beach, but on land about 20 feet of elevation or so, and on the upper floors. So flooding won't be a problem until we need to go somewhere.

Hopefully it will be an educational, though not overly traumatic event for the boys.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck with it all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
God Bless and good luck.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Holy [bleep]!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hang on tight!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

K
KuiLei Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Well the eye is a good 12 or more hours away, but the video I've seen shows the other side of the island is getting hit pretty hard. S--t is indeed getting real. So while I'm hoping otherwise, odds are there's going to be loss of life. Not to mention a bunch of folks having their houses blown to s--t.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Went though a Cat 3 in the Philippines once. But I was in the Shangri La hotel in Makati. Didn't even know it was coming until my wife called me early in the morning and I notices the lights were going on and off. Jet lag. Looked out to see the palm trees all at 45 degrees over.

Ended up closing the airport for a couple of days. It killed about 700 people when a ferry foundered.

Carpe' Scrotum
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
God Bless

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Best of luck and hold on tight.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
K
KuiLei Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Well, it went about as good as could expected personally - two of the crap windows wouldn't stay shut, and we got some spray coming in. Others just leaked, but that's the extent of it. Some folks in the city are currently without power, including some friends, but with luck that will be restored soon. Lots of signage missing, some poles down, a tiny amount of flooding here and there. I'm hoping that not too many folks lost their roofs. The quality of older rural home construction here truly is third world. I'm seeing different reports on how many people were evacuated. From hundreds to 520,000. My take is that it's the former, and the latter number includes all the children that would normally board at schools that were brought back home by parents. Not really "evacuated". Anyway, Cat1 Typhoon Sarika has been downgraded to Tropical Storm Sarika. It's currently nearing the western coast of the island, so things should be calming down significantly tonight.

I got out with the boys this afternoon, and we had a ball in the wake of the eye. Windy for sure, but I'd estimate 50 mph gusts or less. I've been in much more powerful winds in the Sierras. Lots and lots of downed trees. Sandy soil, 200mm of water, recently planted, big winds, inevitable result.

No work tomorrow, but back to the grind on Thursday.

I think we managed to dodge this one...

IC B3

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by KuiLei
W

I think we managed to dodge this one...

Good!

Retired cat herder.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good news, glad to hear it went well.

Maybe tis time for new windows. OTOH leaking can mean pressure equalization....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hainan ?

Only storm I see out that way.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
KuiLei Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Hainan ?

Only storm I see out that way.

Yessir!

Though "Haima" is coming. I think it's supposed to hit the Phillipines in a day or so, then continue on to the mainland - Guangdong province.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I seem to have a weather app that shows the world, so I was able to move over to China area and saw that island, big one.
Do see the next storm headed west. Best of luck

Glad you made it with little damage.

Last edited by Wtxj; 10/17/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 70 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,190
Posts18,503,409
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.