Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Howdy all,

I've got a project that needs direction. The objective is to have fair weather rifle that is nice but no safe queen, light enough for stalking, and in a chamber that fills a different niche from what I already have (Sako 579 243, Featherweight M70 270 Win, Standard M70 .30 Gov't, and an M71 in 348). I hunt deer and pigs, but aspire to hunt mulies, elk, and sheep.

The starting point is a drilled up Pre War model 70 I purchased some time ago, in a custom McMillan Game Scout with a heavy varmint, almost Palma contour 22-250 barrel. I've no use for 22-250 and the rifle is more cumbersome than I'd like.

So, I solicit anyone's ideas and past projects who might share.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I try to come up with a chambering that would complement what's in my safe already, I have a hard time coming up with anything at all. I do find the .224 TTH intriguing, however.

With sheep and elk on your horizon, maybe something like the .26 Nosler? I don't see your current choices as being all that unsuitable, but the .26 is a hot dog.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What length is the magazine stuff?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd turn it into a 300 win mag or a 338 win mag if you like larger calibers for elk hunting, or make a classic all around custom rifle with either a nice walnut stock or with a McMillan edge stock. Pick whatever caliber you want from a 257 Roberts. 7x57, 270, Etc.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
.25-06? 7x57 would be my choice.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
.35 Whelen

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm thinking a lightweight 7x57 for some reason. I'd also sell the McMillan you have and get a lighter stock. Something more svelte like a hunters compact.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Lots of recommendations here for exotic chamberings. They are fine if you hand-load your rounds, but are a pain if you don't.

As a life-long elk hunter, I second 1911a1's advice; The .300 and .338 Win Mag chamberings are very difficult to beat for elk. They are flat shooters that can deliver a huge amount of energy on a large animal at distance. They are also respectable chamberings for accuracy - certainly good enough for a large target like an elk.

Add to this the fact there is a wide variety of high quality ammo available off-the-shelf, and that they are desirable calibers if you ever decide to sell your rifle, makes either of these chamberings a great choice.

My 2-cents... but it may be worth what you paid for it smile

Have fun with the project!

Justin

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Aggiecubpilot: Some time back I had a custom Rifle built on a Winchester pre-64 Model 70 action. The action is a "Transistion" era model and I chose 280 Remington for the caliber.
My Rifle has done service on Mt. Goat, Mule Deer, Black Bear, Blacktailed Deer, Antelope, Elk and Whitetailed Deer so far.
Some day I will use it on Caribou and Bighorn Sheep - and maybe on Moose if I ever get a tag.
I have COMPLETE confidence in the caliber.
My Rifle has a 25" medium+ barrel.
It shoots like a house on fire, holds LOTS of bullets, is supremely reliable, the safety is exceptionally "safe" and it looks great while doing EVERYTHING I ask it to do.
IF... I had it to do over again I would NOT change a thing - if pressed though I MIGHT consider the 280 Remington Ackley Improved cartridge - maybe.
Best of luck with whichever direction you decide to go.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I say go 300 Weatherby mag. Why halve step, go big or stay at home.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had my '52 vintage M/70 rebored/rechambered to .35 Whelen, other good choices would be .257 Roberts and .338 Winchester magnum in my opinion.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Many neat recommendations all- I thank you.

BSA must have tarot cards or a crystal ball because I've been thinking lightweight 7x57 all along and I find it very tempting. Might be that a rifle so chambered would be really cool and might wind up being a new favorite for down here in South Texas.

I'd like to stay 30 cal bore diameter or smaller.

I've never been a magnum person, but I feel that the 300 Winchester Mag does have many merits and might find it's own unique role in my battery. I suppose I should consider 7 Mag as well.

Any experience to share on these last two points?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by aggiecubpilot

I've never been a magnum person, but I feel that the 300 Winchester Mag does have many merits and might find it's own unique role in my battery. I suppose I should consider 7 Mag as well.

I've owned and hunted with rifles chambered for both cartridges. The 300 uses generally heavier bullets at about the same velocity as the 7mm does with bullets that are somewhat lighter. I think this makes the 300 a more potent cartridge.

But in real life you won't accomplish much with one that you can't do with the other.

The 7mm kicks somewhat less and burns a few grains less powder.

Both are great choices as all round North American BG cartridges.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be very happy with a pre-war M70 in 6.5x55.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7x57 or 35 whelen

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a prewar 70 with some family history in .270. I have been thinking about dropping some weight and making it more usable for my grandson and his son. It had been drilled and padded by the original owner and is well used, but no rust.

My thoughts run to a .270 custom FW contour barrel, a soft rust blue, change the safety to the last version and a lightweight stock. I don't want to mess with the feed rails so any .30-06 parent case would work. Were I doing it for me, I would do .338-06, but grandson doesn't have the luxury of time to reload.

Maybe my thoughts will give you some ideas of your own.

Be happy,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by pal
I'd be very happy with a pre-war M70 in 6.5x55.

A pre-war 70 6.5x55 - that is the long-term plan for one of my old match rifles!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by aggiecubpilot
Many neat recommendations all- I thank you.

BSA must have tarot cards or a crystal ball because I've been thinking lightweight 7x57 all along and I find it very tempting. Might be that a rifle so chambered would be really cool and might wind up being a new favorite for down here in South Texas.

I'd like to stay 30 cal bore diameter or smaller.

I don't know what it is, it might seem a little odd, but that's just how I was picturing the rifle in my mind. Sweet light, perfect balance, great ballistic standpoint with mild recoil, plus it's a cool old cartridge that doesn't get much mention around here. Kind of like the 6mm rem, which is one of my favorites along with the little 300 savage. However, for potency and gentle mannered, my vote goes for the 7mm mauser.. As for your question about the 300 magnum vs. the 7mm rem mag. I'd choose the 7mm rem mag, hands down over the 300 magnum. Bobin described it well. You get a lot more recoil with the 300 vs. the 7mm rem mag with not a lot more gain (if any, really). The 7mm rem mag is mild mannered (comparable to a 30-06 in recoil), shoots like a laser, and has enough power to knock the hell out of anything in North America. I made my longest 1 shot kill on a mulie buck with a 7mm rem mag at 648 LRF yards (angle comp on= damn near 700 yards with it off). Buck took 1 step and fell over after bullet impact.. Hard to go wrong with the big 7, but that would require much more gunsmithing (and parts) on your rifle. If you would have said, I have this old H&H receiver I need to build a rifle on. It would be a different story: Then my answer would have been something entirely different..... wink. You guys have seen what I did to my H&H magnum receiver/rifle. It is a pretty bad azzed 338 win mag... wink . Had I wanted a long range rig, it would have ended up a 7mm rem mag. As it were, though, I was after the ultimate elk rig. Since that is the kind of hunting I love the most... As a matter of fact, that's what I'll be doing tomorrow. cool

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I think if I were the OP I would feel well served by these replies.

Now if he would only opt for the 7x57...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
http://s739.photobucket.com/user/ma...e%20Uploads/20161028_183707.jpg.html?o=2

Original 1938 Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 with an original 2 1/2 power Lyman Alaskan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,969
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.