Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Had the bolt on my 10/22 trued and it shoots most anything into very decent groups.

MAGA! This is the way!
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I bought it many years ago when Midway bought out Fajen. It was rough but finished out pretty well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I have a Green Mountain Heavy Taper 19" on the way.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/19-blue-heavy-tapered-sporter-22lr/

Replaced recoil buffer with a homemade one. Turned the bolt telease into auto bolt release with a little file work. Now doing trigger job.......
[Linked Image]
As you can see, I have 4 18.5" barrels already. Plan on selling at least 2 if anyone needs one.......

That bolt release mod is the only way to go buddy. I've done trigger jobs on most of my 10-22's as well, but decided to go with a match grade hammer from Volquartsen and have been pretty happy with it. It breaks real clean at 1 7/8 pounds right now. You'll be pretty happy with the GM barrel, but keep in mind you might have slight problems with extracting a live round. The guys at the club deal with that problem with the "fire to clear" request... Not a big deal, but something I'm glad I don't have to do with the factory barrel...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look hard at Tony Kidd's stuff. By far the best I have ever used and I have used a bunch.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/BARRELS_c_8.html

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Kidd stainless tapered barrel shoots really well and I would buy another. That said, my buddy has an ER Shaw that prints pretty groups with junk Golden Bullets. Sounds ridiculous but it's true.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The Green Mt. arrived last night. It will need some fitting as the barrel channel will need opened up a tad near the forend.

BSA--- Do you think a Volquartsen extractor will help with the Bentz chamber? Was considering it.....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just finished whittlin' on the sear and hammer. Polished them back up.

Think I will deal with trigger overtravel next, before reassembling and trying out the trigger pull.

2 Methods I know of doing this. The right way, and the faster/easier way.

Not sure which way I am gonna go yet grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woodson
My Kidd stainless tapered barrel shoots really well and I would buy another. That said, my buddy has an ER Shaw that prints pretty groups with junk Golden Bullets. Sounds ridiculous but it's true.

The Kidd Im running now seems to shoot everything good, like REAL GOOD. I had 1 Shaw that was all or nothing. Green Mt is always a safe choice.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have heard nothing but good things about Kidd.

I consider GM barrels one of the most solid values out there. They cost less than most custom barrels, and they always seem to shoot well. Plus the folks at GM have never been anything but helpful nice to talk to. I like them. It has actually been years, but always got that "family type atmosphere" feeling from them.

As for this gun, I am extremely happy with my decision thus far. Haven't shot it, but all reports seem to be better than good on barrel selection.

This heavy taper 19" (Bentz chamber) seems to be just what I was looking for. It really makes the rifle balance sooooo much better. It adds just enough forward weight, but not too much, and it really points and holds well. Very happy with the feel.

So anyhoo------I have the trigger breaking at exactly 3 lbs. Down from 5.25 lbs. It hasn't all that much creep. I may or may not address creep/overtravel. It really is not bad now for a "squirrel rifle". I may just change some springs. Have to keep reminding myself this isn't a match rifle like my other 10/22. My other trigger is far better.

I am very interested in seeing how my homemade recoil buffer does. It is made of coax cable.....grin. But it just may end up being badass. I don't see it deforming, and it should be even quiter than the aftermarket ones. We will see. I could be wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but it turns out I was mistaken.

So so far, have done trigger job, performed auto release alteration, swapped recoil buffer, barrel, and am about to install Volquartsen extractor. Not sure how much it will or won't help with unfired rounds in the Bentz chamber. It will obviously do nothing with fired ones. I have another custom 10/22 target rifle to compare it with.

She is getting close.....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (1lessdog, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,447
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.