Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Handloads or factory?

Are the current Colt's/Delta's any different in chamber support the older models?

Do the DE's shoot as accurate as the Gold Cup? Different trigger quality, or just sights?

What are the differences in the older DE and new XE?

Like to hear about deer/hog kills by 10mm hunters.

Thanks 10 fans.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 10mm benefits from handloading but a few companies do offer decent 10mm loads. I would look at DoubleTap or Buffalo Bore loads.

Handloads that I used were with Hornady XTP's 180's and Longshot with CCI Primers.

No experience with DE or Gold Cups if it were I, I would go CZ or Dan Wesson for a 1911 style 10mm.

Ted Nugent used a 10mm on a Cape Buffalo so I think deer and hogs would be no issue. The 10mm has been compared to the 41 magnum but unsure if that is a stretch or not. I think it would make a decent woods/hunting caliber overall.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Underwood also has a great line of reasonably priced 10mm ammo. It's loaded the way 10mm was meant to be.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My experience with the Double Buzzard is that the SA pull is pretty decent as is going straight DA; still, if pressed the single action is always preferred here.

Im a handloader; that said most handloads/published data should be observed with caution.

The hottest loads with Blue Dot, Longshot and AA9 arent suitable in the Double Buzzard for lack of case support and are the limit in the Para Longslide...back off at least a grain, especially on the Colt.

The Double Buzzard is, however, a very good shooter as is the 10mm Para.

Both are pieplate shooters at 100 yds and both are 3inch guns inside 50. The Para doing so at around max loads.

Havent hunted either as chasing cases annoys me to no end; my hundred yard range gets a lot more wheelgun attention.

That said, deer and hogs are fully in the realm of the 10.
If I had a 610 Smith Id have bloodied the cartridge!

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys - no doubt the CZ and Dan Wesson have a following.

Appreciate all replies.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a Glock 20 on a couple of wild hogs a few years ago with Federal 180 grain loads and it worked well enough. I prefer the Delta Elite to the Glock, however.

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice job, was that a JHP 180? Thanks for posting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 65BR
Nice job, was that a JHP 180? Thanks for posting.

Thanks! It was a Trophy Bonded soft point.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by HawkI
My experience with the Double Buzzard is that the SA pull is pretty decent as is going straight DA; still, if pressed the single action is always preferred here.

Im a handloader; that said most handloads/published data should be observed with caution.

The hottest loads with Blue Dot, Longshot and AA9 arent suitable in the Double Buzzard for lack of case support and are the limit in the Para Longslide...back off at least a grain, especially on the Colt.

Both are pieplate shooters at 100 yds and both are 3inch guns inside 50. The Para doing so at around max loads.

Havent hunted either as chasing cases annoys me to no end; my hundred yard range gets a lot more wheelgun attention.

What's a Double Buzzard?

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Hornady 180 & 200 grain XTP bullet loaded with a max load of AA-9 work extremely well on big feral hogs here at the Ranch.

The Buffalo Bore 220 grain Hard Cast LBT style Factory Ammo also
works very well. And I've yet to catch one of those bullets in a hog.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by cra1948

What's a Double Buzzard?

The other Colt "DE"; the Double Eagle double action.

Ken Waters Pet Loads tested one in 45ACP back in the day when the DAOs first appeared, if looking for a reference.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by cra1948

What's a Double Buzzard?

The other Colt "DE"; the Double Eagle double action.

Ken Waters Pet Loads tested one in 45ACP back in the day when the DAOs first appeared, if looking for a reference.

Thanks. I seem to remember something about it at one time, now that you mention it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I about forgot about the DE...the S&W fans had a following with 1006, etc.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Now Rem is coming on the scene.....any fans?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 16gage, 1234, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,430
Posts18,470,780
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.