Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
couple of things i still get kidded about:
the day i was coming off a ridge covered with loose volcanic cinder. I was going sideway down the mt, rifle on offside away from side of mt., and i slipped. I put my hand down right into prickley pear cactus. ouch so i pulled it up and sat down on the prickley pear cactus. Those big spines really penetrated my butt, belt, etc., but rifle unharmed. And i had to submit to my friend with a Kbar trying to work that cactus out with my pants down to my knees. Didn't work so good, so i walked about a mile back to the truck in my shorts, sat on a pillow on the way home. Wife was crying she was laughing so hard as i laid over her legs as she pulled the cactus out with tweezers.
Or, the time i stood same rifle up in a little creek canyon to take a leak. In the middle of the leak i noticed deer right above me watching me. I continued peeing as i watched them walk along the top of the ledge and away, that is continued peeing right over the rifle.,
I still have the rifle, it killed an elk a few years ago.
I didn't hurt the rifle in either situation, my butt was another story. Took a couple weeks for that cactus to get out.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was 15 or 16, and had killed a deer about equal distance from the truck and the little county dump where my grand pa worked for another hour or so. The truck was uphill, the dump downhill, so I headed down. Was headed down a steep part, and the deer started going faster than me. like a dumbass, I tried to slow it down and ended up going head over heels with my BLR on my back. put a dent in the side of the objective and a few good scratches on the buttstock. It stayed zero, and 25 years later still proudly wears the scars on the buttstock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Moosemike: Out of the hundreds of Rifles, pistols and shotguns I have owned and do own (knock on wood!) I have never "tore one up"!
I have been lucky I guess.
But your question brings to mind a HORRIFIC "tear up of guns" I witnessed many years ago.
I was a field training officer with the Seattle Police Department when my student officer and I got a call of an angry wife destroying property.
The call was in the Magnolia Bluff sector (bucks up folks live here!) and upon arrival I nearly vomited at what I saw!
The wife had brought all the husbands Rifles (including several Weatherby's!) and shotguns (including several Browning over and unders) out to the street curb lined them up leaning on the curb and then drove over them with her Mercedes!
Destroying ALL of them!
The husband who had come home to find this carnage was nearly in tears and wanted his "wife" arrested for property damage!
Sadly Washington state is a community property state and what was his was hers and vice versa.
She could destroy "her" stuff if she wanted.
I bet she did $25,000.00 worth of harm to the husbands guns and scopes!
Every once in a while I have a nightmare that the VarmintWife does something similar to MY guns - and I wake up in a cold sweat.
By the way I have never mentioned this call/incident to the VarmintWife!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You should have asked the guy if it was worth screwing his secretary.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

On the plus side, the barrel made a great fish knocker.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never tore up a rifle, pistol or shotgun. I did shoot a 12.7mm gun once. With a minigun. Weren't much left for parts afterward.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Saw two M4s shoved down in the wrong spot in a M1 turret, the barrels caught on a torsion bar tube in the sub turret. they were perfect for shooting around corners.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The worst thing I've ever done to any gun is loan it to my father. He seemingly does not understand regular care or maintenance ... not with guns, not with cars, not with people. It's always someone else's fault when the [bleep] he neglects fails. "Hmmm."

Probably the worst I ever did myself was when I took my .22 rifle with me when I went fishing, leaned it up by a boulder, and left it. frown I was incredibly relieved when I found it the next day ... didn't get taken. I spent quite a few hours with fine steel wool and oil removing some light rusty spots. It already had some red-brown patina through the worn bluing and the new blended with the old, but it was still very bad form.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
and i slipped. I put my hand down right into prickley pear cactus. ouch so i pulled it up and sat down on the prickley pear cactus. Those big spines really penetrated my butt, belt, etc., but rifle unharmed. And i had to submit to my friend with a Kbar trying to work that cactus out with my pants down to my knees. Didn't work so good, so i walked about a mile back to the truck in my shorts, sat on a pillow on the way home. Wife was crying she was laughing so hard as i laid over her legs as she pulled the cactus out with tweezers.

I didn't hurt the rifle in either situation, my butt was another story. Took a couple weeks for that cactus to get out.

RoninPhx - AKA cactus butt ? grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd venture a few of those spines might still emerge from other places.

1Minute
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 260madman, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,172
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.