Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
I have a bunch of LC 57 30-06 to decap and make into 25-06 for my G-daughter. I have managed to break a Wilson punch on this stuff as well as the decapping rod on my Lee Universal decapping die (for the second time).

Is there any new product out there that I have not heard about which might be tougher?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've decapped thousands of M2 Ball cases in a regular .30-06 RCBS sizing die without issue. You may wish to try their universal decap die.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've decapped probably a thousand .30-06 cases with crimped primers, and many times that in 5.56 without issue using the Lee die.

My die has a collet that holds the decapping pin, which seems to be very robust.

I've broken numerous pins in an RCBS FL die (.30-06), but that usually was a berdan-primed case. I would find these in batches of "once-fired" brass I would order.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can push out primers easily (if messy ) with water, and any rod the right size for a piston. Water does not compress, so will even punch out non standard primers.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
I guess I will stop by the shop and pick up another Wilson punch and anvil. Then I gotta call Lee and get my Universal decapper fixed. Man, I use that thing more than anything else on my loading bench.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Wilson.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use a Redding universal decapper. I have never had a problem.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Are the primer flash holes on center? I've seen that a lot on LC '06 brass. I can't think of why you would break it other than the pin not lining up. Make sure your spindle is centered in the die opening. Sometime the sloppy threads allow it to be quite a ways off. I will pick a good case that is already deprimed, carefully run into the die with the spindle loose, and then re-lock it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gzig5
Are the primer flash holes on center? I've seen that a lot on LC '06 brass. I can't think of why you would break it other than the pin not lining up. Make sure your spindle is centered in the die opening. Sometime the sloppy threads allow it to be quite a ways off. I will pick a good case that is already deprimed, carefully run into the die with the spindle loose, and then re-lock it.

^^^ This. Been reloading for about 50+ years or more. Used nothing but crimped military brass initiall, cheap Herter dies and never broke one. Better dies in later times using LC brass. Can't imagine why you'd break a pin.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
+2
Only times I've broken a pin have been flash hole problems (done it twice), after loading lots of crimped 7.62 and 5.56 brass.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
This lot of brass is really tough.

I have been recycling military '06 since 78, and never had a problem before.

But these primers will just start to move, then freeze up like they were epoxied in place. Each time I have broken a decapper, the primer had already started moving.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I have a bunch of LC 57 30-06 to decap and make into 25-06 for my G-daughter. I have managed to break a Wilson punch on this stuff as well as the decapping rod on my Lee Universal decapping die (for the second time).

Is there any new product out there that I have not heard about which might be tougher?

I've used the large and small Lee punches (decapping rod) with success, and the base.

Sycamore

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
I did not know Lee made one. That looks identical to the Wilson unit mentioned earlier.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I've broken numerous pins in an RCBS FL die (.30-06), but that usually was a berdan-primed case. I would find these in batches of "once-fired" brass I would order.

Yep that has been my issue w/ the Lee decapping die in the past as well as a Lee 7-08 die & RCBS 06 die.

Other than that, had no problem whatsoever popping primers w/ universal decapping die.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore

[Linked Image]
This is what I used to decap military brass. It's slow but steady. Bought it some 30 years ago and the top is peened from repeated hits with a hammer but it's still going strong.

Sounds like you just got a batch of really crimped in primers that's defying most anything to deprime it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use RCBS dies. No problems

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've mostly used my RCBS dies to decap military brass. I bent the rod a little once, resulting in multiple broke pins before I figured it out. Still my favorite way of processing the brass. I do have a water set up for berdan primed cases, but I don't recommend it unless you have to. It's a super pain in the rear.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Best value gear that I've used is the Lee Universal Decapping Die. The pin assembly floats within the collet so if you hit a rock or other debris, the pin/rod moves rather than breaks the pin.

Pins aren't replaceable, but pin/rod assemblies are affordable enough. The one I broke years ago was warrantied.

About $10 or $12 last time I noticed...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (35, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 801 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.