Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Pay for new pilots has always been low because flying was glamorous and bunches of people wanted to do it. Flying has come to be considered more of a job than a glamorous occupation so it attracts fewer persons wanting to be pilots.

Flying has become a lot more expensive. Not like the days when one could rent a C-150 wet for $8 to $12 per hour. Instructors also wish to be paid more and when they find out the won't be they drop out leaving instructors who charge more.

Flying has become more regulated taking some of the pleasure out of it. This is less true in AK than the lower 48.

If you don't have enough wars, you don't get enough ex-military pilots who have been trained to fly jets, helicopters, etc.

I would say airlines will have to pay more for their pilots and people will have to pay more for their transportation.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I worked for a large trucking company that trained their own drivers. They found that new drivers had a lot of accidents, small ones, trailer doors ripped off or mirrors broken. Drivers with two or more years had more bad, fatal, accidents.

Same here - new guys made procedural mistakes, older guys made complacency mistakes which tended to be more fatal.

Doesn't take long to get rather lazy and at ease behind the wheel of a truck.

Me

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
No chit there is going to be a pilot shortage, why would someone go $50k-100k in debt to learn to fly just to get paid $20k a year starting off? Is where the aviation industry was for years.

It is great to see some of the regionals are starting in the $40s-50s now. Know a few 60 guys who are going to the airlines as they're leaving the Army and flying little regional jets.

I'm about to start up at a flight club to get my fixed wing ratings. Will be for fun in the near future and probably go airlines when I'm done with the Army as well.

If you want to read a good book that lays this all out pretty good, read "Squawk 7700" by Peter Buffington. It is a real eye opener as to how bad the small airlines and freight companies abuse young pilots who are willing to fly almost for free to build time for a "real job."

I work for one of the largest, if not THE largest flight training school in the US. These kids all have a dream of being a captain on a wide-body someday. Instructor turnover is huge; kids teaching kids.

Most of our students are contract students and headed for foreign jobs though.

They teach them to fly assuming that they are going for an airline job. No seat of your pants stuff, no thinking outside the box, just get them ready for a commuter airline.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dennis, my first flight instructor, who was my college roomate, just retired last year as Delta's senior 747 captain and check pilot. He said a vast majority of airline pilots now have no basic stick & rudder skills. They were trained to airline standards to be heavy jet drivers and most couldn't even look down at a lake or pond and tell you which way the wind was blowing on the surface.
Fortunately, since he is over 65 and can't fly the heavies, he has gone back to instructing instruments students in a Cherokee.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I believe him. I see their students fly every day. I see their lesson plans. They are purely there to get you ready to fly a big jet. I don't think it is unique here, either. When I go up with instructors, it's all about numbers. Everything is done by numbers. I'll none of these kids could fly a plane without a glass cockpit either. I guess it is working good enough or they wouldn't do it.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the auto industry there is all this talk about driverless cars, but how long has the military been using drones ? things are changing

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458Win
In the auto industry there is all this talk about driverless cars, but how long has the military been using drones ? things are changing

Aren't military drones flown remotely? as opposed to flying by computer?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Yes, the USAF has "Remotely Piloted Aircraft" - RPA's, not drones.

In fact, the definition of "drone" is an aircraft operating autonomously. In USAF documentation, the MQ-1, RQ-170, etc are referred to RPA's. Drone is just a word that the stupid media has latched onto in ignorance.

Also, RPA's have an atrocious mishap rate in the USAF- many times higher than manned aircraft.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Yes, the USAF has "Remotely Piloted Aircraft" - RPA's, not drones.

In fact, the definition of "drone" is an aircraft operating autonomously. In USAF documentation, the MQ-1, RQ-170, etc are referred to RPA's. Drone is just a word that the stupid media has latched onto in ignorance.

Also, RPA's have an atrocious mishap rate in the USAF- many times higher than manned aircraft.

Thank you for the clarification! Add "drone" to Saturday night special, and weapon.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Drones of mass destruction.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (160user, 007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.